Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Anyone with an audyssey compatible avr should check out the above script that auto optimizes an existing audyssey file. Very quick and simple to run.

I ran it earlier after a couple of weeks debate, because my front speakers are driven by a separate amp with its own room correction.

Decided I had nothing to lose but 30 minutes to connect my sub back to my avr, run audyssey then run the script

Initial impressions are positive, my front soundstage sounds a lot wider and the front speakers seem more distinct

Can't empathize enough how big an upgrade this is for anyone with an audyssey avr.

Heat bank robbery is my go to test demo disc. Tonight I heard something I've not heard before - when Pacino shoots Tom Sizemore the bullet whooshes past your head from the rear speakers. It's a very subtle sound but not one I've heard in multiple uses of that scene

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on where the closet is located you could use a IR repeater cable to send a signal into the closet, or if your AVR supports it, a 3.5mm plug repeater that plugs in directly, then mount the repeater anywhere you want/can run it that will pick up the default IR remote signal (the celling even).
I found something similar but wireless on Amazon. Just hooked them up and they work like a champ. Two little hockey pucks, one receiver one transmitter.

Sewell SW-32988 Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater, Remote Control Extender Kit​

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I found something similar but wireless on Amazon. Just hooked them up and they work like a champ. Two little hockey pucks, one receiver one transmitter.

Sewell SW-32988 Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater, Remote Control Extender Kit​

WOW back in the day I used to use little black triangles that did a similar thing. Didn't recommend as I didn't think about it until googling the part and I used to buy them at Radio Shack (RIP)

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Neat little projector.

Looks like its on amazon for 1.2k ish.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Despite the aforementioned Audyssey One script breathing new life into my system (I've been watching a movie every night instead of just new releases) I've managed to get a good deal on a new Anthem 1140 to replace my Denon 6500 avr and Lyngdorf 1120 stereo amp. The guy is taking the Lyngdorf in part exchange.

I was never happy with how the system was calibrated with two different amps and two room correction systems. Letting the Denon handle the sub was much better than letting the Lyngdorf do it, which meant the Lyngdorf was just a power amp so not utilizing it to the full potential.

Anthem and their room correction is considered a step up from Denon. So hopefully it's a decent upgrade despite Audyssey One making Denon calibration a walk in park

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm using an Anthem, it has been solid.

What model?

I never got chance to calibrate it today because neighbor upstairs got home from work. Not really fair to blast the calibration tones especially with four on ceiling speakers!

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning but will hopefully be able to get it done in the afternoon.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
AVM 70 mine is a few years old I think the current model handles 8k I think mine only does 4k. I don't feel any strong need to upgrade though.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
AVM 70 mine is a few years old I think the current model handles 8k I think mine only does 4k. I don't feel any strong need to upgrade though.

Yeah, that's the current range but the newer ones ship with the 8k HDMI. Whereas I think you can send yours off to get it fitted, at least you can with the avrs. But you only need that if you want to use it with a console I think. For audio yours is identical

Must be a nice system if you've gone the separates route.

I've ran arc genesis and got the file tweaked by a guy on avsforum. I'm also getting my TV and Avr calibrated by a pro on Saturday, so I hope he can really optimize it further.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm happy with everything but my remote control setup. I have an Amazon Fire tablet that is running stuff but its a mess, and the software I was using for my lighting stopped working so now I actually have to walk over and physically turn on and off the lights, which sounds lazy as fuck and it probably is, but it sucks. I want something like what this guy is doing on Kickstarter, but fuck Kickstarter:

The good thing is he got a shit load of funding so hopefully he actually makes a product and it is good.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm happy with everything but my remote control setup. I have an Amazon Fire tablet that is running stuff but its a mess, and the software I was using for my lighting stopped working so now I actually have to walk over and physically turn on and off the lights, which sounds lazy as fuck and it probably is, but it sucks. I want something like what this guy is doing on Kickstarter, but fuck Kickstarter:

The good thing is he got a shit load of funding so hopefully he actually makes a product and it is good.

yeah multi remotes are annoying as well. Don't know if your Anthem had some HDMI bugs/CEC issues. I know they were cited on the early AVR firmware versions. But I had to disable CEC in order to get Plex on my Nvidia Shield to work, whereas on my old AVR turning on the shield would turn on the AVR.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the Anthem app running on the Fire tablet and it works but literally last night the tablet says it is out of memory. I look at the apps list to see what is going on as I have nothing on the tablet except the required bloatware and a few remote control apps. Everything is showing 50 to 200 megs in size and then Anthem shows its taking up 18 gb of space. No idea how or why but that can't be right.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So I was actually underwhelmed by the Anthem, even after getting someone from avsforums to tweak my calibration file. Maybe I was expecting too much in terms of audible improvement.

So I've put it on eBay and I've gone for the Denon flagship AVC A1H instead. Got a deal on an open box model plus traded in my old Denon to get a bit more off.

Set it up earlier and felt a lot more reassured in the improvement. The anthem just didn't spark joy when listening to music plus was buggy with audible fan noise, it needed a new HDMI cable for Dolby vision when the old Denon worked fine and even then my shield would still lose DV occasionally.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried Denon a few years back I don't know if I had a bad one or just bad luck but it caused a nasty hum through my system. Great features for the money though, and if it works for you then you can't go wrong.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Hope you have better luck with Denon than me. I've had two die on me. Only brand to do so. I'll never buy them again.

I'd buy this or next model up, which is the top rather than a Denon. They have a tremendous surround sound.

I hear the 7000es is well regarded but it's not sold on Europe

My avr before the anthem was the Denon 6500 which I picked up used and it never let me down. Before that I had the 3200

This avr should hopefully last 6+ years maybe even longer unless some crazy new technology comes out

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I hear the 7000es is well regarded but it's not sold on Europe

My avr before the anthem was the Denon 6500 which I picked up used and it never let me down. Before that I had the 3200

This avr should hopefully last 6+ years maybe even longer unless some crazy new technology comes out
Fair enough. I've been really happy with the ES line I have, but it's the previous line. It's never let me down. I bought it after my last Denon died. I have really liked Yamaha as well.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Fair enough. I've been really happy with the ES line I have, but it's the previous line. It's never let me down. I bought it after my last Denon died. I have really liked Yamaha as well.

He says the Sony 7000es is better than the Denon if you just use Audyssey room correction. But if you pay the money for the Dirac license then Dirac beats the Sony. He also really likes the Sony spatial audio technology. I am surprised that he thinks a $3300 beats a flagship Denon that sells for $6k. The thing is built like a tank. Although admittedly if the 7000es was sold here then it could have been an option.

One of the reasons for wanting to go back to Denon was knowing that I could use the Audyssey One script to optimise my audyssey calibration, rather than paying extra for Dirac or for a professional calibration. What also convinced me to pull the trigger on the Denon was Gene from Audiholics saying it was the best AVR on the market right now.

I've definitely spent more than I originally had in mind but not all of that was in cash. I might even pick up some used satellite speakers and play around with Front Wides, although that might be overkill for my room.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had an NAD with Dirac and I hated that thing. But that might be more NAD's fault than Dirac.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I had an NAD with Dirac and I hated that thing. But that might be more NAD's fault than Dirac.
I almost bought a NAD a few times. What kept me from doing so is that they tend to be better for music than movies is what I understand.