Home wireless audio video and whatever else

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm getting in some speaker wire etc to start wiring my house up and I want to make sure I don't miss anything because this area is really more complicated than I anticipated.

I've been trying to find the go to device I can put in the closet with my head unit and control/stream from my phone or computers on the network. There doesn't seem to be one.

I have also seen some cool options to control lights, thermostat, door, etc and would like to set myself up for that if possible.

Obviously cheaper is better and I don't have any problems fishing wire etc. Kind of a broad question I realize but I'm oddly having trouble coming up with the run down on Google.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Many receivers these days come with AirPlay, so if you have Apple TVs, iPods, iPads, etc.. it should all integrate pretty seamlessly for streaming media wirelessly. Personally don't have any Apple devices so can't comment on them.

Schlagemakes a lot of different electronic / touchscreen / wireless door locks. It would freak me out having my door locks accessible like that, pretty satisfied with needing a physical key.

Philips Huewere the wireless lights that I think everyone was talking about on MoreNetz or back on FOH. Haven't picked up any of these, but am kind of interested.

For wireless sprinkler controller I use:IrrigationCaddywith aToro Wireless Rain SensorandWiFi Adapter

Thermostat I use 2xNest 2.0, one for upstairs system, one for downstairs.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I have the Philips Hue system. I like it, but I can't recommend them unless you use IOS devices. The Android app has about 40% functionality when compared to the IOS version, and the missing parts are the most useful parts.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I recently purchased an LG system that wirelessly connects to my internet connection, so I can stream anything from the internet. Additionally, the system came with 9 speakers, and only the front 2, plus subwoofer have to be wired directly to the unit. Everything else is wireless. I got it to try it, thinking I'd hate it because the rear speakers would drop signal. They don't. It's great, and I didn't have to wire the room through the walls.

I think this is the future of this. Fewer wires, quality sound.

fris

Vyemm Raider
my friend has a wireless door lock, it's pretty amazing once you get used to it. friend/family coming over and you can't meet them there? tell them to call you when they drive up and you can instantly unlock it. can't remember if you locked the front door? check from your phone.

only problem is it's like 9 bucks a month. I'd be willing to start buying this kind of hardware if there wasn't a monthly service cost
http://www.nexiahome.com/aboutnexia/...spx?class=faqs

Been looking at a few of these laptop WiFi signal boosters. I want to get the device so I can boost signals from a mile or more away so I can cherry pick the fastest hotel wifi in whatever place I end up staying when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-...d_sim_sbs_pc_2

Most of them seem only about 20 dollars are so but some are a lot more expensive. Anybody have any suggestions for a WiFi antenna? Which have the best power consumption? Can I get one that draws power from a wall outlet instead of the usb?

I don't want to burn out a usb port, so few on this laptop as it is and I already have a splitter. One of the antennas I was looking at needed 2 usb slots just for power!