How It Ends (2018)

Goatface

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: How It Ends

Release: 2018-07-13

Plot: A desperate father tries to return home to his pregnant wife after a mysterious apocalyptic event turns everything to chaos.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just saw this. Bad writing and atrocious 3rd act, especially the “ending”. First 30 min were quite good, but then slowly downhill from there with a fall off the cliff at the end. 3/10 overall.

So many plot holes, but some really bothered me:

where was everyone? An incident on the coast and the whole of middle America was a barren wasteland mad max style after 2 days?

Military closed I90 west bound like 1000(?) miles east of Seattle so there were virtually no ther cars on the highway the rest of the time they were on main roads. What about the millions of cars/people that lived near the interstate between the roadblock and Seattle? It’s like they pretended I90 was a road with no on/off ramps past the military checkpoint.

Why did the military train crash? When the main characters found it all they took was a container of gas? They could have found weapons, rations, supplies, heck even a Humvee instead of the beat up Cadillac.

Then there was the end segment. That whole part with the creepy neighbor romance and outrunning a pyroclastic flow to have it just roll credits with no explanation about anything was just a head scratcher.

• 1Solidarity

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I agree with the 3/10. I wish Netflix would bring back their star rating system.

Fadaar

That guy
their mostly garbage first party content is probably why they got rid of it, to be purposely misleading

Goatface

thought they said they were not taking the main roads, after picking up the chick
guessed by day 3, everyone was either holed up or on north/south roads

don't care enough to go back and look, but there might have been a hole/bridge under the tracks
no idea what they didn't get supplies and stuff

from the campfire scene on was extra bad.

liked how the small town handled stuff, but the bridge with the motorcycles was just silly.

Rime

<Donor>
I cannot stand apocalyptic movies that do not tell you what the apocalypse was, with the exception of 'The Road'.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How it ends was one of the worst apocalyptic movies ever directed. Lets just start with the fact that they never actually told you "How it fucking Ended". I love how everyone does NOT have a gun. There would be death everywhere in a collapsed society. If the roads were not busy they certainly would be blocked. So many things wrong with this movie.

2/10--only because I usually like the main actors.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I read a book a while ago called One Second After that is about the effects of an EMP attack against the United States. Communications networks are down, power is down, everyone's electronics are fried, only the older mostly mechanical cars still work, etc. That premise, if you've got no money, would have worked so much better for a film with a severely limited budget like this one. The highways are clogged with dead cars and people but the back roads, as they had almost no traffic before, are mostly empty.

It's 2000 miles from Chicago to Seattle, the roads were empty, and fuel was never an issue. It's a 36 hour drive and it took them what, four days driving what looked like nonstop?

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just saw this. Bad writing and atrocious 3rd act, especially the “ending”. First 30 min were quite good, but then slowly downhill from there with a fall off the cliff at the end. 3/10 overall.

where was everyone? An incident on the coast and the whole of middle America was a barren wasteland mad max style after 2 days?

Military closed I90 west bound like 1000(?) miles east of Seattle so there were virtually no ther cars on the highway the rest of the time they were on main roads. What about the millions of cars/people that lived near the interstate between the roadblock and Seattle? It’s like they pretended I90 was a road with no on/off ramps past the military checkpoint.

Why did the military train crash? When the main characters found it all they took was a container of gas? They could have found weapons, rations, supplies, heck even a Humvee instead of the beat up Cadillac.

Then there was the end segment. That whole part with the creepy neighbor romance and outrunning a pyroclastic flow to have it just roll credits with no explanation about anything was just a head scratcher.
That seems to be the general gist of most Sci-Fi and apocolyptia movies/tv series in the last 15 years. They start with an insanely good premise to hook you in, and then it just collapses in on itself as you can tell the people who either wrote or directed it had no fucking clue how to wrap it up. It's kind of like LOST infected everyone. But man, those first 30 minutes (or hour for shows) are generally fucking captivating.

Goatface

got bored and skimmed though the movie again, mapped it out using the avoid highways for the most part
Day 1 in Minnesota
Day 2 Crow Indian Reservation South Dakota (700 miles)
Day 3 Ashland Heights, South Dakota (980 miles) end outside Montana (1100 miles)
Day 4 Somewhere in Montana
Day 5 Coeur d'Alene, ID (2000 miles) to Seattle, WA by going south of Portland? (2500+ miles)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Movie was pretty bad. It gets carried by Forest Whitaker and once he's gone the movie drives off a cliff. The ending had to be one the worst endings for this type of movie I've seen and I've seen some garbage endings. I'd give it a 3 and that's being generous.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database