How man emails do you deal with professionally?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

As it pertains to your job email, how many emails do you get in a month (disregarding spam)?

• Total voters

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
That's why I said Disregarding Spam, if you're not actually reading the emails, its not relevant.

I can't setup rules, for emails that need immediate responses, where I'm not going to notice them drop into a sub directory in a far left pane.

I can't setup rules for the morning results of jobs that have negative confirmations, (theoretically if the email were setup specifically I could ignore positive confirmations but they're not so I can't). If I ship something to a folder that get's forgotten, the notification is effectively worthless.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I have to say there has been a dramatic drop off in emails in favour of texts. I like it.
what the actual fuck. Texts are worse in every way than emails.

1. you still have to type your reply, but now its on a goddam tiny screen with no actual keys instead of a normal keyboard

2. While theres a few raging faggots out there who expect you to respond to emails within minutes to hours, most people understand that 48 hours is a reasonable expectation. With text messages, people literally expect a result in minutes.

3. While there are still quite a few people who write emails in an actual human language, with capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, texts almost always look like they were written by an illiterate 11 year old with ADHD.

4. Emails don't make my phone ding, because I wasnt a fool enough to start carrying around a government surveillance device in my pocket at all times when they came out.

Fuck texts instead of emails, that was the worst thing I read in this thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

1. you still have to type your reply, but now its on a goddam tiny screen with no actual keys instead of a normal keyboard

2. While theres a few raging faggots out there who expect you to respond to emails within minutes to hours, most people understand that 48 hours is a reasonable expectation. With text messages, people literally expect a result in minutes.

3. While there are still quite a few people who write emails in an actual human language, with capitalization, grammar, and punctuation, texts almost always look like they were written by an illiterate 11 year old with ADHD.

4. Emails don't make my phone ding, because I wasnt a fool enough to start carrying around a government surveillance device in my pocket at all times when they came out.

No. I answer texts when I want to. And they provide enough information to know if actual person to person contact is needed. If not, brief text back, and all done.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I get 200-300 a day and I have to read them all, not respond to all, but very few of my work emails are spam or things I can disregard. Doing email takes up a significant fraction of my time.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am a bridge person in IT (sort of escalations meets system admin) and I get 60-70 a day that I am directly responsible for that I have to read, respond to, and possibly spin up into internal tickets. I watch about 3 inboxes other than my direct one. Then there is the 100ish a day that I randomly get tagged into because some idiot VP thinks I will get out of my lane and fix shit that does not come through propper channels, but most of those I file away without reading.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Between 500 and 1000 every month, depending heavily on the time of year. I used to get a lot more every day. We've recently started using Teams for things that would have previously been a one-line email. Fuck texts. I don't want anyone from work knowing my phone number, let alone sending me messages outside of work hours. I don't have email or Teams set up on my phone for that exact reason. I work when I'm at work.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My personal and work email is the same. I get probably 10 emails a day but on average probably 1-2 of those are anything I would read and I have to respond to maybe 3 a month, give or take.

EDIT: Just looked at my outbox and I have sent 9 emails in January, but 4 of those were forwarding because my email was put down instead of my brother's so I was getting emails that were for him.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Right...my job implemented Slack and I actively “forget” to login to it everyday. Forcing someone to email me. Fuck texts though that would just go forever unread.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would never respond to an actual SMS text from work except that one time that it was my boss panicking because he forgot I had a dentist appointment and thought I ghosted the job for another company.

But I definitely enjoy using things like Slack/Teams on my phone to answer simple questions since it means I don't have to always be at my desk.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
80% of my work day is spent responding to e-mails and awaiting responses. I really wish the Boomers could figure out fuckin' Slack, as much as I hate that POS.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Slack is better for straight messaging/chat.

Teams' strength is how well integrated it is with the rest of O365. Outlook calendar directly in Teams. Simultaneous multi-user editing of SharePoint docs from directly in the Teams interface, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Teams is actually a very good product because of the integration. It's also got very good multi device support.

Fadaar

That guy
0 at work. Sure a lot of company wide e-mails but ones specific to me that I need to deal with? None unless I e-mail myself pictures from my phone.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Just going to get worse…

1644070615480.png

At least the project went in relatively smooth