I.S.S. (2024)

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: I.S.S. (2024)

Tagline: The war on earth will be decided in space.

Genre: Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Gabriela Cowperthwaite

Cast: Ariana DeBose, Chris Messina, John Gallagher Jr., Maria Mashkova, Costa Ronin, Pilou Asbæk

Release: 2024-01-19

Runtime: 96

Plot: Tensions flare in the near future aboard the International Space Station as a conflict breaks out on Earth. U.S. and Russian astronauts receive orders from the ground: take control of the station by any means necessary.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The premise was kind of interesting until they showed that basically all the Earth was obliterated. It really didn't look like there was going to be a society left based on those views of Earth. What's the point of fighting for anything when there's seemingly nowhere to go back to? I'm sure it was just done for visuals and it gets handwaved away but I don't think there was going to be any space resupply before they die from lack of resources.

Cybsled

The premise was kind of interesting until they showed that basically all the Earth was obliterated. It really didn't look like there was going to be a society left based on those views of Earth. What's the point of fighting for anything when there's seemingly nowhere to go back to? I'm sure it was just done for visuals and it gets handwaved away but I don't think there was going to be any space resupply before they die from lack of resources.

Ya, that is sort of silly. Only way it would work thematically is if you made an allowance of anger/despair overtaking one of the crew and that anger/despair taking the form of lashing out at those who represent who you think is responsible in some sort of murder-suicide type scenario since they figure they're all dead anyways.

Otherwise you'd think they would be pragmatic to a degree - there is going to be no mission control and no retrieval support and they are going to have relatively limited time to figure it all out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Made it 2/3rds of the way through before I started fast forwarding. It's pretty bad. The premise isn't horrible but between the decisions of the characters and the current year character archetypes I stopped giving a shit very quickly.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The reason why the Archer episodes with a space station worked is because it was more advanced than current day ISS. There's not enough to work with for a suitable space betrayal when the Earth is that fucked anyways.

Caliane

so, those that watched it... what does it do to make the plot interesting?

like, cold war submarine or missile silo movies work, because they A. are remote and cut off from communication, and B. have retaliatory options.
The people in those movies, have to fight each other, and themselves with the choice of "is the message real? if its fake, are WE starting ww3? if, real, do we retaliate? do we doom humanity completely?"

here.."take over the i.s.s." why? can it save America, or Russia some how? is there a colony life boat on board? Is there a g.e.c.k? is there missiles on it, that can take out the other side so at least one side is 100% wiped out, even if the "winning" side is only 50% wiped out?

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
How about this instead.

You get a message. The message says "take the ISS by any means necessary." You assume that the other side got the same message. We can go a step further and assume that when they read their message they will also conclude what our orders are. Given these facts the American space scientists do...nothing? It doesn't make any sense. You would either act on your orders or you would reveal the contents. Keeping your cards close to your chest tells the other side you're going to try and take the station. Guess I'll go on a dangerous space mission and leave my fellow astronauts outnumbered and at a major testosterone deficit? This is all behind a backdrop of thermonuclear war where we the Earth is just on fire.

Undo that. Start from "war looks to be imminent." Both sides receive messages. Through the two halves we learn that the space station could be a critical asset in coordinating a first strike or impairing a counterattack. Both sides share this information with each other and because they're enlightened scientists everyone agrees the ISS will stay neutral. We then have a scene where one of the dudes takes out a little locked box. It's got a series of little envelopes in it. He takes out a little plastic stick, breaks it, extracts a decoder, reads it, selects an envelope, opens it, uses the decoder again and gets the message "take the space station all other directives rescinded." Now we only have a single character on one side that has special knowledge and we can try and build tension from there with the stakes being maybe your side wins the war and saves their country from annihilation. Now we have moral dilemmas. Maybe you want your country to win for national pride or maybe you're afraid that war will happen anyway and everyone will die. It has to be better if only one side gets incinerated, right? Why shouldn't that be the side my kids are on? Maybe one of the characters has old wounds from the Cold War. While these themes are being explored we're occasionally checking in on the one dude clearly preparing. When is he going to strike? Swerve, double swerve, double double swerve, downer ending everyone dies. By the end of the film there's one bloody astronaut, terminally wounded, looking out the view port waiting for Jesus to take them up to heaven on a white horse when the missiles just begin to fly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
How about this instead.

You get a message. The message says "take the ISS by any means necessary." You assume that the other side got the same message. We can go a step further and assume that when they read their message they will also conclude what our orders are. Given these facts the American space scientists do...nothing? It doesn't make any sense. You would either act on your orders or you would reveal the contents. Keeping your cards close to your chest tells the other side you're going to try and take the station. Guess I'll go on a dangerous space mission and leave my fellow astronauts outnumbered and at a major testosterone deficit? This is all behind a backdrop of thermonuclear war where we the Earth is just on fire.

Undo that. Start from "war looks to be imminent." Both sides receive messages. Through the two halves we learn that the space station could be a critical asset in coordinating a first strike or impairing a counterattack. Both sides share this information with each other and because they're enlightened scientists everyone agrees the ISS will stay neutral. We then have a scene where one of the dudes takes out a little locked box. It's got a series of little envelopes in it. He takes out a little plastic stick, breaks it, extracts a decoder, reads it, selects an envelope, opens it, uses the decoder again and gets the message "take the space station all other directives rescinded." Now we only have a single character on one side that has special knowledge and we can try and build tension from there with the stakes being maybe your side wins the war and saves their country from annihilation. Now we have moral dilemmas. Maybe you want your country to win for national pride or maybe you're afraid that war will happen anyway and everyone will die. It has to be better if only one side gets incinerated, right? Why shouldn't that be the side my kids are on? Maybe one of the characters has old wounds from the Cold War. While these themes are being explored we're occasionally checking in on the one dude clearly preparing. When is he going to strike? Swerve, double swerve, double double swerve, downer ending everyone dies. By the end of the film there's one bloody astronaut, terminally wounded, looking out the view port waiting for Jesus to take them up to heaven on a white horse when the missiles just begin to fly.
I like this version better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's a much better idea and version along what was stuck in my head. As it is what we get in this movie is just, nothing... It isn't very interesting or exciting. The backdrop of the earth burning could be kind of cool and suspenseful.

When Danny from Mindy Project showed up it took me forever to place him.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database