TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: I, Tonya

Tagline: Don’t trip and fall while Ice Skating

Genre: Drama

Director: Craig Gillespie

Cast: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney, Julianne Nicholson, Paul Walter Hauser, Bobby Cannavale, Bojana Novaković, Caitlin Carver, Maizie Smith, Mckenna Grace, Suehyla El-Attar, Jason Davis, Cory Chapman, Amy Fox, Cara Mantella, Joshua Mikel, Lynne Ashe, Steve Wedan, Anthony Reynolds, Ricky Russert, Miles Mussenden, Dan Triandiflou, Alphie Hyorth, Cassidy Balkcom, Fi Dieter

Release: 2017-12-08

Runtime: 120

Plot: Competitive ice skater Tonya Harding rises amongst the ranks at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but her future in the activity is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is finally out in the usual places. Didn't find a thread for this so forgive me.

God damn great movie. Despite the only thing she was known for being the Tonya Harding /Kerrigan thing. Like khorum khorum said, she was a vicious MAGA bitch 30 years before that was a thing.

Poor, vicious trailer park bitch who rose to the Olympics.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is finally out in the usual places. Didn't find a thread for this so forgive me.

God damn great movie. Despite the only thing she was known for being the Tonya Harding /Kerrigan thing. Like khorum khorum said, she was a vicious MAGA bitch 30 years before that was a thing.

She was funny on the "Worlds Blankiest Blank" series as well.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I was pretty young during that whole Kerrigan beatdown saga and I didn't realize that Harding was actually one of the best skaters in the world. I just thought she was a jealous hack who couldn't make it on her own. Fake news strikes again!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was pretty young during that whole Kerrigan beatdown saga and I didn't realize that Harding was actually one of the best skaters in the world. I just thought she was a jealous hack who couldn't make it on her own. Fake news strikes again!

Yeah and while she wasn't the victim per se. Her biggest crime was poor trailer trash and married to poor redneck trailer trash. I don't doubt for a second that prissy faggot judges shit on her score because she wasn't from the, "All American Family." Smoked like a chimney and played ZZ top on her routines and not classical music.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Fucking fantastic movie. Really great to learn (??accuracy) more about what happened. So did the attack affect Kerrigan at all? He didn't break anything, just bruised her, and she still won the silver.

What a brutal relationship between Tonya and the boyfriend and her mom. Insane.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This was great. I still think she knew more about the plan then we were lead to believe in the movie, but damn i didnt realize how rough her life was.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this was the narrative that fake news gave me 20yrs ago also.

plus it's not like we could "judge" how good she was, it's fucking figure skating

of course back then, it was which one was prettier, it was always Tonya, Nancy had ugly face.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This was a pretty great movie but, holy shit, music overload for about the entire first act. Once the halfway mark passed and that toned down all was forgiven and I thought that it held up really well even before "the incident" was brought up. Margot Robbie and 30 minutes of back to back pop songs gave me Suicide Squad flashbacks and almost had me shutting this off

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't remember the narrative being that Tonya wasn't a good skater, just that she feared Kerrigan was better/would be liked better at the Olympics and thus the "attack" came about.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember any particular narrative at all but at the time you sorta assumed if she had to sabotage Kerrigan than she must have been a shittier skater, and she did fail to medal at 92. I didn't even know she was the first american woman to land a triple axel in competition until many years after the whole thing happened. I think Harding's biggest hurdle at international competition was that she was a hybrid of the worst aspects of both Nancy Kerrigan and Midori Ito. She was more technically skilled than Kerrigan and less frumpy looking than Ito, but the flip side of that is that she was less technically skilled than Ito and not as attractive/graceful as Kerrigan.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't remember any particular narrative at all but at the time you sorta assumed if she had to sabotage Kerrigan than she must have been a shittier skater, and she did fail to medal at 92. I didn't even know she was the first american woman to land a triple axel in competition until many years after the whole thing happened. I think Harding's biggest hurdle at international competition was that she was a hybrid of the worst aspects of both Nancy Kerrigan and Midori Ito. She was more technically skilled than Kerrigan and less frumpy looking than Ito, but the flip side of that is that she was less technically skilled than Ito and not as attractive/graceful as Kerrigan.

I got the impression she felt she didn't get the credit she deserved b/c she was outside the norm for figure skating/etc. Probably felt they would favor Kerrigan. I just never remember any narrative that she was a bad skater or anything, I could have sworn the allegations didn't come out until after the nationals for qualifying, and Harding finished first there so even if Kerrigan could have skated, at worst she would have finished 2nd and still gotten one of the 2 Olympic spots anyways.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
vNdQxY.gif

aqmZf.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Saw this tonight. Thought it was very good. Had a great soundtrack but maybe slightly abused that? Anyone remember why they decided to hold the Olympics again just a couple years later? Slips my memory.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i was pretty young when it happened and didn't really care enough to follow much of it afterwards, but i NEVER thought tonya wasn't an olympic level skater. i THOUGHT it had more to do with personal issues than professional ones. at the time i thought the narrative was that it was a personal feud that just escalated way too far.

LennyLeonard

Trakanon Raider
Saw this tonight. Thought it was very good. Had a great soundtrack but maybe slightly abused that? Anyone remember why they decided to hold the Olympics again just a couple years later? Slips my memory.

You mean '92 and '94? Previously summer and winter games were held the same year, with '92 being the last.

If I recall correctly it was to give each games more individual attention. The cynic in me thinks that just meant more $$$, as it's probably easier to sell to sponsors "hey, spend some cash every 2 years rather than twice every 4 years".

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist

Between this and Darkest Hour it's hard to tell which was the better MAGA movie.

Darkest Hour is almost like a Trump Parable. Churchill was surrounded by libcucks who had the culture and media in their hands and used their deep state ties to undermine him and seek accomodation and appeasement with the enemy. Gary Oldman earned that oscar in every scene.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I finally decided to check this out. It told the story very well and in a fair fashion. Honestly a great movie with some amazing performances.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
btw, tonya's ice skating rink is where i broke both my legs

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I don't remember the narrative being that Tonya wasn't a good skater, just that she feared Kerrigan was better/would be liked better at the Olympics and thus the "attack" came about.

Biggest narrative about her skating back then was that it wasnt as refined compared to the other skaters

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database