Icarus (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Icarus

Tagline: Truth is the new banned substance

Genre: Documentary

Director: Bryan Fogel

Cast: Bryan Fogel, Grigory Rodchenkov, Nikita Kamaev, Dan Cogan

Release: 2017-07-26

Runtime: 121

Plot: While investigating the furtive world of illegal doping in sports, director Bryan Fogel connects with renegade Russian scientist Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov—a pillar of his country’s “anti-doping” program. Over dozens of Skype calls, urine samples, and badly administered hormone injections, Fogel and Rodchenkov grow closer despite shocking allegations that place Rodchenkov at the center of Russia’s state-sponsored Olympic doping program.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Is there some type of strong refutation disputing the events as they were portrayed?

I'm looking through Wikipedia right now and it looks like this is all backed up, care to elaborate?

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
All feels data man.

I simply cannot believe that a renowned Russian state scientist who was the brains behind their entire doping program agreed to help some rando amateur cyclist from the USA (the sworn enemy) with a doping program AND agreed to let him film it all only to then have a major crackdown happen after the fact and him have to flee the country and continue to film all this. It's far, far too unbelievable.

I guess anything is possible though.

Khane

I would say it's worth a watch and to decide for yourself. It's probably worth discussion ala Making a Murderer. It's not a bad documentary, I just find it unbelievable.

I was just being an angsty teen drama queen when I replied to his original post.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
People take your opinion seriously, including me, which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

The documentary is thorough, and the information is online, the only people that are disputing it are the heads of the Russian government, who wherein are implicated, with utterly damning evidence.

The guy is in witness protection because the United States Government believes that there is a credible threat on his life from the Russian government.

I feel like I know where you really stand comrade Khane.

Last edited:

Khane

After enough people watch it I'm sure it will get its own thread. I doubt I'll be the only person who feels that way after watching it.

What's the real story with that Joseph Kony guy?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
All feels data man.

I simply cannot believe that a renowned Russian state scientist who was the brains behind their entire doping program agreed to help some rando amateur cyclist from the USA (the sworn enemy) with a doping program AND agreed to let him film it all only to then have a major crackdown happen after the fact and him have to flee the country and continue to film all this. It's far, far too unbelievable.

I guess anything is possible though.

All feels data = 100% of his scientific, evidence-based claims were proven true by the independent IOC investigation including, but not limited to, every numbered sample specified in his documentation evidenced tamper marks on the tamper-proof bottles and every single sample specified in his documentation to need specific gravity adjustment was found to contain up to 100 times the amount of NaCl as a normal urine sample.

Those are numbers that you can't fake, unless you think this is some secret US operation to discredit Russia and Putin that stretched back to 2014 when our then president was referring to Russia as the JV squad.

LiquidDeath

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
x5azMi1KvZWbBbfjmGqpHNGqjH.jpg
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Icarus

Tagline: Truth is the new banned substance

Genre: [GENRE]Documentary[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Bryan Fogel[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Bryan Fogel[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Grigory Rodchenkov[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Nikita Kamaev[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dan Cogan[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2017-07-26[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]121[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]While investigating the furtive world of illegal doping in sports, director Bryan Fogel connects with renegade Russian scientist Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov—a pillar of his country’s “anti-doping” program. Over dozens of Skype calls, urine samples, and badly administered hormone injections, Fogel and Rodchenkov grow closer despite shocking allegations that place Rodchenkov at the center of Russia’s state-sponsored Olympic doping program.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

LiquidDeath

Just finished this and damn is it good.

I think you have to love the Olympics or some kind of international sports to really be invested, though.

I'll ask the mods to transfer the posts in the documentary thread about the film to this one.

Khane

All feels data = 100% of his scientific, evidence-based claims were proven true by the independent IOC investigation including, but not limited to, every numbered sample specified in his documentation evidenced tamper marks on the tamper-proof bottles and every single sample specified in his documentation to need specific gravity adjustment was found to contain up to 100 times the amount of NaCl as a normal urine sample.

Those are numbers that you can't fake, unless you think this is some secret US operation to discredit Russia and Putin that stretched back to 2014 when our then president was referring to Russia as the JV squad.

I'm not saying the guy wasn't in charge of the Russian team or that the doping didn't happen (we all already knew that was true).

What I'm saying is the idea that some fucking random amateur cyclist from Russia's biggest enemy (the US) was able to contact and work with the scientist in charge of their entire state run doping program just because he wanted to totally see if doping works and was able to convice said scientist to get on camera and skype and discuss all this in the open is a little hard to swallow.

The Russian was completely flippant about everything. He even gave the American AND his camera crew a tour of the doping facilities. Give me a break.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

I'm not saying the guy wasn't in charge of the Russian team or that the doping didn't happen (we all already knew that was true).

What I'm saying is the idea that some fucking random amateur cyclist from Russia's biggest enemy (the US) was able to contact and work with the scientist in charge of their entire state run doping program just because he wanted to totally see if doping works and was able to convice said scientist to get on camera and skype and discuss all this in the open is a little hard to swallow.

The Russian was completely flippant about everything. He even gave the American AND his camera crew a tour of the doping facilities. Give me a break.

So you're saying that this was all planned and staged by the US government and that the whole movie is a anti-Russian propaganda piece.

Interesting take.

• 1Picard

Khane

So you're saying that this was all planned and staged by the US government and that the whole movie is a anti-Russian propaganda piece.

Interesting take.

Haha what? What the fuck does the US government have to do with a Netflix documentary? And what the fuck does it have to with being a propaganda piece?

I'm saying some filmmaker decided this story would sell but it would need to be jazzed up and doctored to make it interesting enough to get any viewership.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

• 1Picard

LiquidDeath

Haha what? What the fuck does the US government have to do with a Netflix documentary? And what the fuck does it have to with being a propaganda piece?

I'm saying some filmmaker decided this story would sell but it would need to be jazzed up and doctored to make it interesting enough to get any viewership.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Did we watch the same movie?

This guy was hooked up with the central figure to the largest international doping scandal in history BEFORE the story broke and ended up being an emissary for Grigory to WADA about the whole thing due to the security concerns. Grigory is now in US federal witness protection. One of the main themes is sports as a proxy for war, the Cold War in particular. The government's fingerprints are all over this.

I'm failing to see how this is jazzed up. Are you talking about the specific goal of figuring out if an average person can beat the doping tests? I wish that would have been closed out, but that is a much less compelling story than the one we got.

I think maybe I am misunderstanding what you are criticizing about this movie. Tell me this, what do you think the story was before it got jazzed up? What specifically do you think was faked for show?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database