Identity Theft

joz123

Potato del Grande
So I get a letter from the IRS saying for tax year 2017 they believe someone used my SSN to get employment. Is there really anything I can do to prevent something like this again? All it says is there is no known impact on my tax account. I haven't seen anything fishy in my debit or CC accounts. Fico score still similar to what it usually is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I get a letter from the IRS saying for tax year 2017 they believe someone used my SSN to get employment. Is there really anything I can do to prevent something like this again? All it says is there is no known impact on my tax account. I haven't seen anything fishy in my debit or CC accounts. Fico score still similar to what it usually is.
nope, check creditkarma every week and make sure you have zero flags and no opened accounts

Remember do not ONLY look for accounts that are delinquent, if you have great credit, then you likely are able to get an easy 10-20k credit card, they'll open an account, charge it and pay the min, this way your credit is still in good standing, and you get no flags, but eventually you'll be on the hook for a maxxed out 20k credit card.

serious, just log into creditkarma every sunday and do a quick check.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Worth noting that CK only looks at Equifax and TransUnion; you will need to find another source for Experian. If you have an Amex card, they offer a legit FICO EX score once a month (not VantageScore like CK), and it will also track any account changes. Discover also offers a free EX score once a month to everyone through Credit Scorecard, but you don't get super robust information about recent changes.

I believe EX also has a service through their own website.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya I registered for the amex fico thing just now, only 1 account has been opened in the past 2 years and that would have to be my auto loan I started last september.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You can lock you credit pulls etc. Makes getting new credit a hassle but whatever.

Was also a pilot program a few years ago with IRS for locking tax returns with an identity code mailed to you. Required you to live in specific areas, and I dunno if it got canned or expanded

I'm personally going back to only using paper checks for bills etc. A headache if you have a bunch of cards, but if there are only a few... Easier to convince I'm letting the wife have a more active role in finances, but I'm just outsourcing the check writing and admin work to her. Lol

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
I have Lifelock for myself and my kiddos. About two years ago some douche bags were attempting to get a credit card in my name at an outlet store.

Long story short? That outlet store uses Broyhill(spell?) for the credit lines. I had a past account and they called me to confirm. I was a little freaked out.

Since this incident I have my shit on lockdown. I read my lifelock reports and stay up to date on my credit. I now get notifications when anyone runs a credit score on me. They call and email me and I can deny them access.

• 1Like