Im buying a business and I already can't sleep.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Title. I am a business advisor for a franchise company, and one of my clients is selling. I have been with the company since 2006, and have been training new franchisees on store operations for the last five years or so.

Anyway, the sale was a surprise to me and has been going super fast since then. I found out about 12 days ago and told the salesperson I was interested. The franchisee said they were happy to hear I was going to buy it. I told him I was always going to buy one about 7-10 years from now, so my financial situation wasnt the best right now. I asked him if he would carry some of the note. He said, "I'll carry the note with interest, stretch it out over 15 years to lower the payments, and you can pay it off early with no penalty."

Of course I still have no money for starting operating capital and was looking at my 401k, but he told me not to touch it. Instead, he offered to write me a 20k check and put it on the note with the payments if I couldn't find the money. I went to my in-laws to make a deal. My family is poor and my wife wrecked our credit and we just got out of Chapter 11 2 months ago.

The next day I went to visit another client and help them out with staffing issues (big shock in this market, right?). I told them it was still under wraps but I would no longer be their franchise consultant and will soon be a franchisee instead. They were excited, but I told them I just had to get initial starting capital for cash flow. He said, "doesnt he have an X machine? We really need some of that. I'll give you $30k and you can pay me back in production over time." So we worked it out where he can use the machine at my shop 4 days a month max to make what he needs, and I get 30k up front for operating expenses. Even better, I got to tell my in-laws they don't have to round up the money. (My father in law seemed upset because we get along really well; I think he thought it would be a great bonding family business thing, but I know from experience family and business is a bad mix. Everything goes smooth... until it doesn't. Also I won't have the pressure of family counting on me to succeed to pay their money back).

I have $1200 in my bank account and thought i had no shot, but everything is falling into place real quick. The attorneys are still drafting this up though, but if all goes well it seems too good to be true. I got a business listed for 250k dropped to 205k (he dropped the price because he got an offer doing consultation for a friend on the side. He became an absentee owner and the sales are slipping, so he wants to sell it faster because it will continue to get worse without him. This is when I found out about it).

Pros:
- I've been in the industry for 8 years, and with the franchisor as an employee for 16.
- I know almost 200 franchisees by name, know 50 of them well, and 15-20 could be called friends. I have no shortage of people to call if I don't know what to do.
- Prices on many materials in the store have not been raised in almost 2 years. This is the perfect time since everyone expects price increases to happen.
- I have visited 45 states and 4 countries in my career. The shop is 5 minutes from my house.
- The 3 full time staff members already know and are excited because we worked well together in the past when I came to help out. 99% they are staying on.

Cons:
- Net profit is below average, but raising prices and an owner fully involved will help.
- sales were almost 500k last year, but I need to get to 650k this year to break even and pay all the Bills at home.
- The first year or two will be rough. I expect 60-70 hour weeks to build sales up to pay off the note as fast as possible.
- Holes in my business game are management and organization. Also the admin side of it. I'll get an accountant to set it up and a bookkeeper for the financial side.

As long as the contract is written as discussed, we are signing by the 28th of this month (deadline before I have to sign a new franchise agreement with updated terms...usually more royalties or restrictions). Also Spring is when the sales really start to take off in the industry, so I want to get in while the earnings are high.

The store did almost 500k last year, 24% cost of goods (no price increases), payroll is 33% of revenue (sales dropped from 600k 2 years ago once the owner stepped away from the business, had to hire another employee to cover his absence).

So yeah, I havent even taken over and i have been waking up in the middle of the night, either from thinking about things that keep a business owner up at night, or that I'll have a 6 figure earning potential. Despite everything I already know about the industry, all my connections, and knowing how difficult small business ownership is, it's a whole different feeling from thinking you know and actually knowing once you're in that seat. Excited and scared at the same time.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Title. I am a business advisor for a franchise company, and one of my clients is selling. I have been with the company since 2006, and have been training new franchisees on store operations for the last five years or so.

Anyway, the sale was a surprise to me and has been going super fast since then. I found out about 12 days ago and told the salesperson I was interested. The franchisee said they were happy to hear I was going to buy it. I told him I was always going to buy one about 7-10 years from now, so my financial situation wasnt the best right now. I asked him if he would carry some of the note. He said, "I'll carry the note with interest, stretch it out over 15 years to lower the payments, and you can pay it off early with no penalty."

Of course I still have no money for starting operating capital and was looking at my 401k, but he told me not to touch it. Instead, he offered to write me a 20k check and put it on the note with the payments if I couldn't find the money. I went to my in-laws to make a deal. My family is poor and my wife wrecked our credit and we just got out of Chapter 11 2 months ago.

The next day I went to visit another client and help them out with staffing issues (big shock in this market, right?). I told them it was still under wraps but I would no longer be their franchise consultant and will soon be a franchisee instead. They were excited, but I told them I just had to get initial starting capital for cash flow. He said, "doesnt he have an X machine? We really need some of that. I'll give you $30k and you can pay me back in production over time." So we worked it out where he can use the machine at my shop 4 days a month max to make what he needs, and I get 30k up front for operating expenses. Even better, I got to tell my in-laws they don't have to round up the money. (My father in law seemed upset because we get along really well; I think he thought it would be a great bonding family business thing, but I know from experience family and business is a bad mix. Everything goes smooth... until it doesn't. Also I won't have the pressure of family counting on me to succeed to pay their money back).

I have $1200 in my bank account and thought i had no shot, but everything is falling into place real quick. The attorneys are still drafting this up though, but if all goes well it seems too good to be true. I got a business listed for 250k dropped to 205k (he dropped the price because he got an offer doing consultation for a friend on the side. He became an absentee owner and the sales are slipping, so he wants to sell it faster because it will continue to get worse without him. This is when I found out about it).

Pros:
- I've been in the industry for 8 years, and with the franchisor as an employee for 16.
- I know almost 200 franchisees by name, know 50 of them well, and 15-20 could be called friends. I have no shortage of people to call if I don't know what to do.
- Prices on many materials in the store have not been raised in almost 2 years. This is the perfect time since everyone expects price increases to happen.
- I have visited 45 states and 4 countries in my career. The shop is 5 minutes from my house.
- The 3 full time staff members already know and are excited because we worked well together in the past when I came to help out. 99% they are staying on.

Cons:
- Net profit is below average, but raising prices and an owner fully involved will help.
- sales were almost 500k last year, but I need to get to 650k this year to break even and pay all the Bills at home.
- The first year or two will be rough. I expect 60-70 hour weeks to build sales up to pay off the note as fast as possible.
- Holes in my business game are management and organization. Also the admin side of it. I'll get an accountant to set it up and a bookkeeper for the financial side.

As long as the contract is written as discussed, we are signing by the 28th of this month (deadline before I have to sign a new franchise agreement with updated terms...usually more royalties or restrictions). Also Spring is when the sales really start to take off in the industry, so I want to get in while the earnings are high.

The store did almost 500k last year, 24% cost of goods (no price increases), payroll is 33% of revenue (sales dropped from 600k 2 years ago once the owner stepped away from the business, had to hire another employee to cover his absence).

So yeah, I havent even taken over and i have been waking up in the middle of the night, either from thinking about things that keep a business owner up at night, or that I'll have a 6 figure earning potential. Despite everything I already know about the industry, all my connections, and knowing how difficult small business ownership is, it's a whole different feeling from thinking you know and actually knowing once you're in that seat. Excited and scared at the same time.

Congrats to you. My dad owned several businesses for about a dozen years before he became a postal worker. You seem to know the business well and understand just how much time it will take you to build it. The costs part of that business seems very manageable so good pick! It's damn hard work and you will have to sacrifice a lot. Now, for the negatives just because you're a Dolphins and FoH bro. Is your family prepared for this? It takes a lot of sacrifice for them as well mainly in time lost, added stress, and financial insecurity (the first few years really suck). Your money situation is bad. I'm not privy to your finances and it's not my place but controlling the money is the most important part. Always be mindful of where that money is and where it's going. It's common sense but I see people forget it all the time.

Good luck to you! Nothing feels better than being your own boss and the people who truly prosper are the ones willing to take risks. You will have to keep us updated.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Congrats to you. My dad owned several businesses for about a dozen years before he became a postal worker. You seem to know the business well and understand just how much time it will take you to build it. The costs part of that business seems very manageable so good pick!

Thanks!

It's damn hard work and you will have to sacrifice a lot. Now, for the negatives just because you're a Dolphins and FoH bro. Is your family prepared for this? It takes a lot of sacrifice for them as well mainly in time lost, added stress, and financial insecurity (the first few years really suck).

My current job is flying around the country and visiting clients, as well as training new franchisees. I'm living out of a suitcase over half the year. I'm going to Florida tonight for sales and marketing training for the week. I don't think I will see my family more, but being 5 minutes from home means I can at least spend a little time with my kids, put them to bed, and go back to the shop if needed. (my two boys are 5 and 6. It's getting REALLY hard to leave because they start bawling when they see my suitcase).

Your money situation is bad. I'm not privy to your finances and it's not my place but controlling the money is the most important part. Always be mindful of where that money is and where it's going. It's common sense but I see people forget it all the time.

I appreciate any feedback. My money situation is bad. However, I am 43 and I can work long hours now, or buy one 7-10 years from now but be in my early 50's to start my retirement run.

April through July is the best sales time for the industry. That's a critical 3 months I can split time increasing sales and acclimating myself to how the employees run the shop. If I don't get in until Summer, I lose out on the high sales volume and will have to stress out more to make up for it.

Good luck to you! Nothing feels better than being your own boss and the people who truly prosper are the ones willing to take risks. You will have to keep us updated.
I will. If I don't take this chance it could be years before it happens again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Thanks!

My current job is flying around the country and visiting clients, as well as training new franchisees. I'm living out of a suitcase over half the year. I'm going to Florida tonight for sales and marketing training for the week. I don't think I will see my family more, but being 5 minutes from home means I can at least spend a little time with my kids, put them to bed, and go back to the shop if needed. (my two boys are 5 and 6. It's getting REALLY hard to leave because they start bawling when they see my suitcase).

I appreciate any feedback. My money situation is bad. However, I am 43 and I can work long hours now, or buy one 7-10 years from now but be in my early 50's to start my retirement run.

April through July is the best sales time for the industry. That's a critical 3 months I can split time increasing sales and acclimating myself to how the employees run the shop. If I don't get in until Summer, I lose out on the high sales volume and will have to stress out more to make up for it.

I will. If I don't take this chance it could be years before it happens again.

Your responses are all reasonable and I completely understand the desire to start planning for future success now instead of 7 years from now. It's never good to wait because most people never find that next 'perfect'' opportunity. Again, good luck and you seem to understand the dangers and the business very well. Those are usually the biggest deterrents to success. I've seen so many small businesses fail but it's usually unrealistic expectations and no idea of what you are getting into or your clientele (size, needs, etc). You seem to know all that very well so I think you'll do really well.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don’t let your wife touch any part of the financial shit. If she wrecked your credit once she can do it again. Be extra careful here, there are some people that do not learn and when they see that big account (even if it’s the businesses money, not yours) they just see all the things they could do with it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Monday the 11th is the day. Friday is my last day working for someone else. Had to delay it a week because the state of Texas took its sweet time with my company paperwork.

Not really much else to say other than I have a bunch of people to market to, and a mountain of paperwork to change over accounts (utilities, internet, vendors, etc.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Good luck, please follow Hateyou's advice!
Oh damn that reminds me about that. Yesterday I told my wife I could use her help if she could work a couple of days a week. She asked, "Ok! How much are you going to pay me?"

I laughed and said, "Pay you? I'm not paying you anything!"

She totally Pikachu faced me. "Well why would I work if I'm not getting paid?"

"Babe, the owner takes home whatever money is left after the bills and employees get paid. If I needed your help to finish a job in order to pay the mortgage and buy groceries, what would you do, say no?"

I think she got a little disenchanted and stopped thinking less about the potential and more about the reality: theres a lot of hard work to get to where we want to be.

She will really understand it when I only transfer over enough money to pay the truly important bills (and her FFXIV sub so she doesnt kill me in my sleep; I will give her that). She pays monthly for some Discord Nitro and a few bucks to Patreon for some Twitch streamers or something (yeah all those people can get fucked).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I look forward to seeing you in the Marriage and the Power of Divorce thread

• 10Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
First 2 weeks are done. Had corporate people come and do the training, one week for operations, the other for sales and marketing. Since I did this part, I had them work with my wife or the staff a little bit instead. But yeah, we kind of do get in the way because theres stuff that we have to cover. I didn't get as much done in marketing that I wanted.

Staff is all young but they're good workers. Salesperson is 21 and is working through some stuff. He has a baby, doesnt know what he wants to do with his life, etc. Considering I lived at home until i got my stuff together at 26 I told him he's alright for where he is, and will try to mentor him through it.

Production/install guy drives an hour to work, has a Journeyman's electrical license, and his pay is only $20/hour. His old job was with his father-in-law's company where he got ran into the ground as salary. He views this job as easy, and that's why he took it; a journeyman electrician in Texas can earn a lot more than this, so I figure I'll just have to check his workload for a bit until I get a better feel.

Last guy is the designer who is the oldest at 28 or so. Started in the industry at 18, knows a bunch inside and out. I realized that if I move stuff into production on the workflow chart, he does it without asking, and it's done FAST.

Due to the job market being what it is, I'm going easy in terms of transition. I'm staying project/goal oriented, which means if they knock all the work out 2 hours early and sit around watching anime and tiktok for 2 hours at the end of the day? Sure, knock yourselves out.

I don't have 40 hours of work coming in yet, but cutting them off early could disrupt their personal budget. Keeping them at the store also let's me go out, so I'll bear that burden until I get things going better.

On the bright side, I re-calculated my break even because some numbers weren't adding up. There was another employee for part of last year, the owner put his wages on the P&L instead of a separate line item. My break even is closer to 27k a month instead of 31k which is a big relief.

Next week is more marketing, networking, and working on the process. I'm finding that many of my competitors have flaws, particularly speed and follow up. I just need to make sure I don't fall into that same trap to separate myself from the competition.

Oh and surprise; the deal I made with a fellow franchisee about equipment sharing in exchange for 30k in starting capital hit a bump because one of them (the wife) already forgot the preliminary terms we agreed to...that she suggested! She said to give me until the 1st of May before we start a sharing schedule, then forgot about it when she called me last Monday to ask to use it for a day. I had a lot of people (nearly unanimously) tell me not to touch my 401k money to get the starting capital, so I made a deal to get it instead. I'll honor the deal and I'm sure we will work it out, but I should have trusted my gut and just took a withdrawal instead.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Congrats! Working for yourself is the only way to fly. If I could make only one suggestion -- care about your employees, but if you really must let them go for money reasons, don't hesitate. That fucks up a lot of people that have employees.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
June 11th was 2 months since I took over. I think I made some money? I got my POS system linked up into Quickbooks and it's syncing over all the sales data, but I had a bunch of questions for my accountant about where to enter expenses into the different categories. After trying to do that for a week in the evenings I decided to get a bookkeeper since it was constantly on my mind and distracting me from doing other things. In the meantime I printed out all my bank statements and just added it all up vs. income. After all the expenses I'm around +19k. Minus about 7k a month in living expenses and I'm about +5k in 2 months. Approximately; I have about 16k out in receivables but also took deposits which haven't closed (and thus haven't paid royalties/sales tax on yet).

Still working on time management and trying to get things done. Efficiency is going to hurt me the most. Also it's freaking hot outside but I need to keep going out to market. I've just been sticking to the Chamber and will be attending a Rotary lunch on Thursday as well. I haven't missed a Chamber event yet and it seems to be paying off; people are remembering me and I've been asked for estimates and such.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
June 11th was 2 months since I took over. I think I made some money? I got my POS system linked up into Quickbooks and it's syncing over all the sales data, but I had a bunch of questions for my accountant about where to enter expenses into the different categories. After trying to do that for a week in the evenings I decided to get a bookkeeper since it was constantly on my mind and distracting me from doing other things. In the meantime I printed out all my bank statements and just added it all up vs. income. After all the expenses I'm around +19k. Minus about 7k a month in living expenses and I'm about +5k in 2 months. Approximately; I have about 16k out in receivables but also took deposits which haven't closed (and thus haven't paid royalties/sales tax on yet).

Still working on time management and trying to get things done. Efficiency is going to hurt me the most. Also it's freaking hot outside but I need to keep going out to market. I've just been sticking to the Chamber and will be attending a Rotary lunch on Thursday as well. I haven't missed a Chamber event yet and it seems to be paying off; people are remembering me and I've been asked for estimates and such.
Good luck. Entrepreneurship is the way.

Don't know your background so this may be worthless advice. Find a used copy of the paperback collection of the Harvard Business Review set. Example:

If you have a BBA or MBA then ignore most likely.

Make sure when you start glancing at profits you are factoring in all the stuff you will be paying down the road (like Fed and State income tax on those profits).

It "seems" like you mention taking living expenses out of the company? Don't mix personal and business like that. Either pay yourself a salary (nominal or large) and/or just take quartely disbursements. If you aren't counting yourself as an employee your metrics like efficiency and COGS won't really be accurate since your time/labor should be counted in. Not to say don't expense shit like your vehicle and what not (of course you do), but but keep a really solid accounting of all of it.

What your expenses like a miser. Squeeze every penny till it bleeds on the expense side of the ledger. It's a scary time economy-wise to be taking the leap. Good luck.

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Would need more info on business to comment on relevant help to you. You can dm if you would on what it is. I have pretty extensive general management experience

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm still here and am actually starting to make a profit. It was pretty hairy for a bit (was down to $700 in the operating account at one point), but we started cranking jobs out and getting better at followup calls. I'm still not a great manager but I do have buy in from my employees on the direction we are going. I lost my installer, which turned out to be fine because $20/hour is $3200 a month in payroll. My break even went down a lot, and we're just learning to be leaner and meaner without him. I have a part time installer that wants to be full time, but I am being super careful about when that'll happen (I need to see more out of him, and I still need to watch my expenses).

I think the best thing is that what was once a weakness (being too nice) has turned into a strength. I'm not a doormat though, and set expectations early. I became an ambassador for my local chamber, joined the board of a non-profit, and try to find ways to make small donations to local non-profits (never money; just cost of materials and my own personal labor to do the job. Maybe 2 hours a week) I am playing catch up every day, but always make the time to attend ribbon cuttings and other networking events. All that networking and charity is paying off; I am the only one in my industry that goes to all these networking events and gives back to the community (as far as I know), and for that effort the big clients I've earned are the local mall, both local universities, and a couple of regional banks (Just got the 50% deposit from one of the banks for a $46,000 order yeah! ...well almost all of it went to vendors to buy the materials haha)

I made a lot of mistakes to make it this far, and am still making (smaller, less costly) mistakes each day. I lost $4500 on one job, and $12000 on another (This was one of those "How hard could it be to do this type of work?" Moments. Turns out it's very hard). The good thing is that I've only had a bad break-up with one client: a small town baron who owns several rental properties and a couple of car dealerships. Basically a big fish in a little pond (coincidentally it became a lot harder for me to pull permits in that town after that all went down. Just a coincidence I suppose!). I haven't ever heard anyone say anything good about him, so I'm taking my chances incurring his wrath.

The most gratifying thing is that I feel like there really is a sort of karma coming back for everything I'm doing. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I've earned such a large amount of good will in the community, especially over all of my competition (I don't see them at networking events, or fundraisers, etc.). All the non-profits I've donated a miniscule amount of services to refer people to me constantly. I'm getting work from both Universities just because I met board members at a couple of small events. Same with the malls and the banks.

I'm not ready to hire someone yet, but I think that's my next big challenge. I feel ageist but I'm probably going to find someone older. I feel like an old man at 44 yelling at these damn kids (my employees are 28, 26, and 22). I asked some new college grad with a degree in communications if they would like to do sales for me. You know what they said? They aren't comfortable talking to people over the phone. YOU HAVE A COMMUNICATIONS DEGREE WHAT THE HELL. I think I might ban TikTok in the shop. I have ADD and that might mean mild autism (don't know, don't care if they put ADD on the spectrum, I'm too old to give a shit about the label), but I feel like a social maven compared to this younger generation.

Things are looking up and I'm only working 8-10 hours a day, plus a little on weekends. Usually 50 hours a week, so I'm not burning out, thankfully. I could work more, but the adderal wears off and I just spend time with the kids instead (while they're still young and still want to hang out with me).

The goal this year is $600,000 in sales at 25% net profit. Last year we did $441k and I wasn't profitable, but we made it. So far we've completed $122k. January was only 22k so February was pretty rockin.

• 18Like
Reactions: 17 users