Imperator: Rome (2019)

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Imperator: Rome

Cross between Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis. Releases April 15, 2019.

1549389782905.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll definitely be playing this, have 1000s of hours on paradox grand strategy games, and think this time period should be an interesting change of pace.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Is this the same company that releases so much DLC it's $400 by the time you are done pulling your wallet out of your ass?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Same one. It takes a long time to get there though and the DLC goes on sale all the damn time. I love their games.

I think the schedule for their flagship games like Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis is to generally release 2 to 3 $10 - $20 "expansions" per year. This certainly adds up over time, and can make jumping in late daunting, but you don't need all of the DLC to play the game either. I prefer this method because the game that I enjoy playing keeps growing and expanding every year for a decade or so, instead of getting a completely new iteration of the franchise every 2 or 3 years. I do understand why it might turn some people off though.

For the record, and you will probably hate me for saying this, I wish there were single player RPGs that followed this model too. I would happily sign up for an RPG where I bought a base game for $50 or $60, but could then buy new campaigns for $20 or so 2 or 3 times a year. Similar to the idea behind the original NWN, but with a more active release schedule for a longer period of time. I think this is what WoTC or Paizo should do with D&D or Path Finder. Maybe release race and/or class packs for less money in between the campaign releases.

Sorry for the tangent.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Same one. It takes a long time to get there though and the DLC goes on sale all the damn time. I love their games.

I think the schedule for their flagship games like Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis is to generally release 2 to 3 $10 - $20 "expansions" per year. This certainly adds up over time, and can make jumping in late daunting, but you don't need all of the DLC to play the game either. I prefer this method because the game that I enjoy playing keeps growing and expanding every year for a decade or so, instead of getting a completely new iteration of the franchise every 2 or 3 years. I do understand why it might turn some people off though.

For the record, and you will probably hate me for saying this, I wish there were single player RPGs that followed this model too. I would happily sign up for an RPG where I bought a base game for $50 or $60, but could then buy new campaigns for $20 or so 2 or 3 times a year. Similar to the idea behind the original NWN, but with a more active release schedule for a longer period of time. I think this is what WoTC or Paizo should do with D&D or Path Finder. Maybe release race and/or class packs for less money in between the campaign releases.

Sorry for the tangent.

I wouldn't have the problem with your suggestion if $20 isn't one elongated quest that lasts 2 hours.

I am guessing you liked the Witcher 3 then since missions and expanded content were all free with 2 major expansions that were damn near as long as the original game for a 30 dollar season pass.

These games are always fun for me, but unfortunately broken at launch and onward until you can find them on sale. Rome 2 only became playable after an expansion :(

With that said this is an organization who has already stated they will fix their DLC policies and instead never do, as well as raise prices and piss off their community base annually.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
WOW costs $15/mo.

Think of it like a subscription fee for fun.

• 2Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 2 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't have the problem with your suggestion if $20 isn't one elongated quest that lasts 2 hours.

I am guessing you liked the Witcher 3 then since missions and expanded content were all free with 2 major expansions that were damn near as long as the original game for a 30 dollar season pass.

These games are always fun for me, but unfortunately broken at launch and onward until you can find them on sale. Rome 2 only became playable after an expansion :(

With that said this is an organization who has already stated they will fix their DLC policies and instead never do, as well as raise prices and piss off their community base annually.

Witcher 3 might be my favorite RPG of all time. I know a lot of their stuff in the past has released buggy, but I remember Crusader Kings 2 being a pretty solid release. I know I was playing it pretty consistently prior to their first DLC. I think they did address some of their DLC policies by releasing bundles of older DLC at reduced prices. That may not be enough for you, and I can understand that, but I've been really happy with my investment in the games they make that I play.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider

Yeah I mean it feels daunting looking at all of the CK2 and EU4 DLCs and saying "Thats way too much in totality" but I'd argue that most 10-20$ DLCs for those games are worth at least 20 hours of game time, if not more. When you look at the cost/hour the value of Paradox games is super high

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You have to view Paradox's DLC practices as an optional subscription to increased content. The base games are perfectly playable and worth the price tag. The DLC acts as a way for the games to keep receiving development and keep the rabid fanbase satiated. That said, they still need to improve the buy-in situation for new players after the game has been around for a while, as playing vanilla EU4 at this point for example would be ass. Also gotta remember that these DLC's come with free updates for everyone, and the DLC's fund those as well.

My real complaint with how they do DLC is that they come so damn frequently that it's impossible to keep up if you take extended breaks from the game, and by the time you get over the daunting hurdle of picking it (and several new dlc) back up, you're seeing that another DLC is just around the corner and not only will you have to learn a new version, but you're likely going to suffer from a "grass is greener" effect as you think of the upcoming features. I can only speak for myself, but this sort of thing just murders my enjoyment of a game.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
if you have any friends you can play multiplayer using another persons dlc

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sad to say I've given up on Paradox games. It's not the cost of the DLCs that bother me, it's that after a few DLCs the games just get clogged up with shit they keep adding. The complexity goes from being interesting/challenging to being tedious. They need to "clean slate" their games more often (i.e. release a brand new version: EU5, CK3...) more often, release 3-4 DLCs, then wipe the slate clean with a new engine, better graphics, keep stuff that works well, ditch shit that doesn't, etc.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Is this the same company that releases so much DLC it's $400 by the time you are done pulling your wallet out of your ass?
The key is to buy the dlc's when they're on sale. That's how I only spent 200 bucks or so on CK2. Sad thing is, I've only played it for a few hours total. The key thing is knowing that you have it.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I'm sad to say I've given up on Paradox games. It's not the cost of the DLCs that bother me, it's that after a few DLCs the games just get clogged up with shit they keep adding. The complexity goes from being interesting/challenging to being tedious. They need to "clean slate" their games more often (i.e. release a brand new version: EU5, CK3...) more often, release 3-4 DLCs, then wipe the slate clean with a new engine, better graphics, keep stuff that works well, ditch shit that doesn't, etc.
so like... literally this game being released next month...

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
So this is coming out in a couple of weeks. Anyone else been keeping tabs on it? I'm wondering if there's any reputable sources for early reviews

khorum

Murder Apologist
I fell off the dev diary train but the early looks I saw (admittedly fairly early on) it was looking like they were adapting the VICTORIA pops economic system into Imperator. Victoria is easily their best economic sim and a new game with it has been a long time coming.

Last edited:

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I am very hopeful for this. I prefer the amount of domestic/economic micro of Victoria to the more generic EU.

I do hope they figure out a simple and somewhat accurate way of implementing a cyclical trade system eventually. The Romans were among the first to specifically prescribe regional specializations in order to make provinces interdependent to help maintain imperial identity even at lower levels of government. After the fall, the fuedal->industrial periods saw empires form entirely around vertical integration of economics (mercantilism) which just continually resets the clock to war. Meanwhile Turkey-France and England-Portugal (tiny interruptions due to Spain) maintained centuries long trade alliances of mutual necessity.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Can my emperor convert to Christianity and persecute the jews?
You really need to step up when it comes to defending the race. You need to let go of christianity and embrace celtic roots/nordic odinism. Christianity is an invasive religion perpetrated by foreign jews. No true descendant of ancient Europe would embrace phoenicians, latians, etruscans or Abrahamic middle eastern anatolians. You are a disgrace to your non-italic western germanic ancestors. Never shun our pre-Roman continental tribes, you easily conquered fool.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like