In The Heart of the Sea

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Dammit, In the Heart of the Sea. Edit post won't let me change the title. Sorry bout that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
what's irrational about being terrified of something that could swallow you?
Or accidentally drag you to the bottom of the ocean just by swimming where you are? I agree. It's irrational because why would I ever be in the water with whales?

This video terrifies me.

This picture is just as bad and this isn't even a big whale.

article-1207590-061B1271000005DC-144_634x838.jpg

Rime

<Donor>
Best part of that trailer is all of the people raging about Whaling in the comments.

On the topic of being afraid - Not irrational at all. We are at one of our weakest moments when in the water. Even a 'friendly' whale can ruin your day, just as you might trip over a small dog or swat an insect.

My one 'fear' (other than the usual First World fears of debt and doom) is open water. I am fine on a boat, but the only way I am getting in the water that far out is if it is sinking. Knowing how DEEP the ocean goes and how insignificant we are just bobbing around on the surface of it gives me the shivers.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
what's irrational about being terrified of something that could swallow you?
Actually, Whale's have extremely narrow throats except for the sperm whale. They couldn't come close to swallowing a human. They know this, and they wouldn't let a person into their mouth.

Imo its cool being in mile+ deep open ocean water. If you look straight down in the ocean, it glows with the color of the sun above you (usually greenish). It's a surprisingly comforting feeling to me, when initially I thought it would be terrifying. Most people who have the view that it scares them haven't actually jumped into the ocean and seen it for themselves.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Best part of that trailer is all of the people raging about Whaling in the comments.

On the topic of being afraid - Not irrational at all. We are at one of our weakest moments when in the water. Even a 'friendly' whale can ruin your day, just as you might trip over a small dog or swat an insect.

My one 'fear' (other than the usual First World fears of debt and doom) is open water. I am fine on a boat, but the only way I am getting in the water that far out is if it is sinking. Knowing how DEEP the ocean goes and how insignificant we are just bobbing around on the surface of it gives me the shivers.
Regardless of how comforting Furry says it is, this is probably my biggest fear too. I can watch and enjoy movies likes, say, The Perfect Storm, but if I were actually in that situation? Fuck that.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Actually, Whale's have extremely narrow throats except for the sperm whale. They couldn't come close to swallowing a human. They know this, and they wouldn't let a person into their mouth.

Imo its cool being in mile+ deep open ocean water. If you look straight down in the ocean, it glows with the color of the sun above you (usually greenish). It's a surprisingly comforting feeling to me, when initially I thought it would be terrifying. Most people who have the view that it scares them haven't actually jumped into the ocean and seen it for themselves.
Nope. Just being underwater in a diving pool is enough to freak me out. Water is scary.

Caliane

With global warming, the sealine is just going to raise higher and higher. Also, due to climate change, food is altered, driving them further south for food.

These fucking things eat sharks.

we're next.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

we're next.
Orcas are probably the most successful predator other than humans in the history of the planet. They're the apex predator in every part of the ocean. They eat and win fights against every animal there. They're incredibly fast, probably the fastest living thing in the ocean. They're twice as fast as a bottlenosed dolphin as a reference. They also happen to be incredibly smart. They're the only thing that scares me in the ocean. Sharks on the hand are incredibly stupid and easy to scare. If you're diving and get bit by one, you probably have yourself or your ignorance to blame. One of these days I'll have to dig out the video I took of an orca eating and upload it to youtube.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Do want. Heard there was a good book about whales this year but I can't remember the name of it. It was contemporary.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I saw the trailer for this last week when I went to see "Black Mass." Looked really good to me.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I read Moby Dick for the first time a few years ago to catch up on classic literature. For a century-and-a-half year old story, it's actually pretty good. It's like a piece of escapist adventurism on the high seas. I can imagine it being the Harry Potter of its time.

Captain Ahab is the original badass.

Edit: Lol, the pretentious douchebags who try to read deep subtext in Moby Dick are the worst.

khorum

Murder Apologist
With global warming, the sealine is just going to raise higher and higher. Also, due to climate change, food is altered, driving them further south for food.

we're next.
Yeah orcas are dicks.

rad

Lord of Guk
Irrational fear of Orca is funny, might as well be terrified of a cow. In all our years of sailing the high seas only a handful of examples exist and even some of those are dubious at best. Outside of captivity, they're simply not aggressive towards man. This is a creature to be revered, not feared.