Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds like my current boss.. He'll call me into his office just as I'm undocking my laptop at 5:30 PM to review my service log notes for items I closed that day. The smallest of issues turn into late night emails or weekend phone calls because he doesn't have anything better to do than constantly monitor the most insignificant of details even after the issue has been resolved. The worst part is I'm a long term contractor, paid by the hour (overtime not approved) and no benefits. Why would my manager who's making a decent salary along with full benefits care if I had other plans? They'll drain as much work out of me each quarter and then throw out promises of full time employment opportunities to keep me motivated.
This is easy. Just become busy. Literally just always have something you need to be doing. I've got dinner and movie tonight. Oh I've got blah blah scheduled tomorrow etc. Just 100% don't respond out of work hours. If they sit you down and say we need you to do X after hours. You say then I need you to pay me X. Most times it's the guy who lets the company get away with it that gets taken advantage of. It's not the guy with 3 kids, and is always busy. Somewhere in the past, you were helpful and it turned into you're expected to always provide that service.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just say you don't get paid for overtime so he has to talk to you during business hours. 90% of the time it is bullshit that he wouldn't bother with besides to just aggravate you.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wait, when you say OT not approved, where do the hours go, are you working off the clock?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Haha, these posts remind me of being active duty, feeling the ominous atmosphere at work, and chugging a few beers after getting home to ward off any chances of being called back into work.

"Ohhhhh, sorry Gunny, I'm pretty drunk already. Do youreallyneed me to put camis on and go to..."
"You got home 30 minutes ago and you're already drunk?"
"You know how we do it Gunny."
"*sigh* Yea... okay I'll figure it out."

Only pulled that card a few times but stuff gets stupid on a deployment workup.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
From glassdoor researching it seemed like 120k was pretty standard for a Senior Software position in Seattle. I doubt Amazon would massively overpay compared to other places.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
From glassdoor researching it seemed like 120k was pretty standard for a Senior Software position in Seattle. I doubt Amazon would massively overpay compared to other places.
The article said that they make over industry standard by the stock grants, although some employees said they that most of them don't stick around to be fully vested.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The make believe stock options you don't get until you get fired? Give me real money instead.
I corrected that.

I'm setting up a 401k with my company now. I'm going to match my employees dollar for dollar (because this benefits me also), but it's like seven or eight years before they'll be fully vested.