Insurance Adjusting Career

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I've been studying to be an Independent Insurance Adjuster after getting out of the military and failed the state exam the first go around. I just needed a 70% and got a 63% on it out of 120 questions. Was wondering if anyone else has an pointers on doing better the next time around. I focused very heavily on some things but not so much on others (Personal Auto Policy and Commercial Group Liability killed me). The program I purchased to study didn't really cover the stuff that I struggled as much as I wanted, but maybe I just need to go over them a couple more times. Even though I won't be doing any auto stuff that's a heavy part of the exam because it's basically the same exam someone who wants to be an agent would have to take. The program I purchased has about 1400 slides and I did pretty well at everything except those two categories. I may need to brush up on my state policies a little bit as well, but feeling pretty confident about the re-test.

I'm also curious if anyone else does any independent adjusting if you bothered with an LLC or an S-Corp. I like the idea of paying my taxes quarterly rather than annually, as it might save me a headache in the long run. I'd really like to keep my business expenses and personal expenses as separate as I can. This seems like a kind of expensive career to get into, but I've purchased everything that I need outside of a ladder and a couple of tools. Pretty much in between jobs at the moment so hoping I don't put all my eggs in one basket. Most of the work that I will do will produce the most income when there is hail or wind damage on someones roof, but it's not just limited to that. One of my best friends does the same thing and makes great money but he's been doing it for several years. He'll be giving me OJT. I guess it's just a little intimidating but he didn't have any experience when he started either. The company that I will be working for is sub-contracted for 4 or 5 other insurance companies so there will be plenty of work. Just hoping to at least pass the test and having the opportunity to learn and work.