Intel making GPU's?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Saw this today, thought I'd share. I own 100 shares of Intel stock, so not sure how I feel about them returning to the GPU fray. Competition is fierce, and so far the outlook on their first gen series of GPU's has been lukewarm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Whatever hardware intel makes gpu wise will end up shite as their drivers are terrible for the most part.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Whatever hardware intel makes gpu wise will end up shite as their drivers are terrible for the most part.
Every single manufacturer of graphics hardware, ever, has had this statement made about their drivers. It's a moot point by now.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
They still do, IIRC. Look at any Intel laptop. Unless it's a dedicated gaming laptop (meaning it's about three inches thick and weighs about twenty pounds), it more than likely has an Intel video card somewhere in it. They put it in there, I believe, to save power when you're not using nVidia or AMD GPU heavy applications.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They still do, IIRC. Look at any Intel laptop. Unless it's a dedicated gaming laptop (meaning it's about three inches thick and weighs about twenty pounds), it more than likely has an Intel video card somewhere in it. They put it in there, I believe, to save power when you're not using nVidia or AMD GPU heavy applications.

Those aren't video cards they are integrated video solutions that are on the same die as the cpu.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They're GPUs, but calling them full solutions would be like calling Minesweeper a fully immersive game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They're GPUs, but calling them full solutions would be like calling Minesweeper a fully immersive game.

Who said they were a full solution, they do enough for you to do most things on a fucking ultrabook.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Who said they were a full solution, they do enough for you to do most things on a fucking ultrabook.
Intel Xe is a discrete solution. Intel's current offering isn't. We're also not talking about ultrabooks here.

It's worth noting that Larrabee never made it past the idea of a GPGPU product. Xe is targeting both GPGPU and discrete GPU markets. Might be a worthy 3rd entry into the market, who knows. No one expected worthy CPUs out of AMD until it happened.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You can run Rocket League on Intel's IGPU. A more apt comparison would be like using a car powered by steam.

The test device that Linus got his hands on was very interesting in concept. Like CUDA cores on steroids. If they ever fully realized its potential, it would have made for some very powerful mining cards. Think they realized they'd have to do some stupid software fuckery to make it work for its intended purpose and dumped its development.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Intel Xe is a discrete solution. Intel's current offering isn't. We're also not talking about ultrabooks here.

It's worth noting that Larrabee never made it past the idea of a GPGPU product. Xe is targeting both GPGPU and discrete GPU markets. Might be a worthy 3rd entry into the market, who knows. No one expected worthy CPUs out of AMD until it happened.

Apologies, I thought you were talking about their integrated igpus.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm hoping for the best, since having a successful line of GPU's would help increase the value of their shares. On another note, can someone tell me (who obviously knows more about hardware than I do) is there much of an advantage if the CPU and GPU are from the same company? Every PC I've owned, they've been from different, usually an Intel CPU, and an Invidia GPU.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can run Rocket League on Intel's IGPU. A more apt comparison would be like using a car powered by steam.
This is a very recent thing though, right? The Intel HD Graphics 2500 on my old i5-3450 can't run anything that isn't at least 5 years older than the CPU.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I'm hoping for the best, since having a successful line of GPU's would help increase the value of their shares. On another note, can someone tell me (who obviously knows more about hardware than I do) is there much of an advantage if the CPU and GPU are from the same company? Every PC I've owned, they've been from different, usually an Intel CPU, and an Invidia GPU.

Not as a general rule, no. There are a lot of little variables and intricacies that play in. Some of it is how the drivers are written, some of it is individual quirks of the GPU and GPU architectures. One GPU architecture from a certain manufacturer may pair well with one certain CPU architecture from a certain manufacturer, but it's more tied to the architecture than it is to the brand itself.

General current consensus is that Ryzen pairs best with an Nvidia GPU. A year or two back, the recommendation was that Intel paired better with AMD GPUs, but I don't know if that's changed.

As for Xe, my expectations are very low because (a) Intel's dGPU drivers have always been shit (I disagree with Alkorin's argument, because while all companies may produce shitty GPU drivers on occasion, Intel's are shitty as a rule), and (b) Raja Koduri is the hardware version of Todd Howard. I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, of course, but I don't think I will be.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, I mean, can you imagine the backlash they would get if they made a CPU that only they could access the instructions of?

IMO, the GPU market has gone too far for Intel to hop in now. They would have to spend billions in R&D, and that's just to bring them up to speed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like we need something more akin to a final solution to this GPU problem.

• 1Jonesing