Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, all of us gamers are getting older and perhaps wiser. Share your investing strategies here.

I personally think the market is expensive and over priced right now. I'm moving to a 60% stocks and 40% bonds split right now.

Some stocks i'm looking at are (GE) (ADM) (KO)

• 2Diamond Hands
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
IMO keep the bonds side to short duration, long term bond prices are every bit inflated as stocks if not more so

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Some stocks i'm looking at are (GE) (ADM) (KO)

The restructuring of GE has really been positive, feels like they are finally going to get out of the rut they have been. Better profit margin business. Good buy during market weakness.

For short term bond exposure I like VCSH (ETF) VFSUX (mutual fund)

I trade for a living but I balance that out with rather conservative investments that I keep separate from my trading activities.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've made bank on the last 3 quarters on FB. Buying the dips, sell after the ER highs.

I also invested in Micron (MU), but really chump change. Wish I had put more in.

Overall nearly ~28% this year.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've made bank on the last 3 quarters on FB. Buying the dips, sell after the ER highs.

I also invested in Micron (MU), but really chump change. Wish I had put more in.

Overall nearly ~28% this year.

I wanted to buy FB on a pullback to $122 and I missed it today distracted with weakness in SPY, we broke through support today may see more buying opportunities as long as slide in oil continues. Get your bargains list together.

I don't hold individual stocks for any real length of time I just flip them quickly bouncing off support. I usually flip FB for $.50-$1.00, but it's a stock I trust enough buying 1,000+ shares

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Best opportunity was the Brexit freakout. It went to $108 and weeks later back near $116. After hours following the ER last week, it popped up to $133. The following trading days it has slumped right down to pre-ER level. Hopefully the markets get in the green again by the end of the week. I am looking to sell again around $125.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I played the Brexit by just buying the the whole market rather than risk a sector underperforming, FB is not a well liked stock at the moment despite great earnings report if it gives another chance in the teens would be a good swing trade to ride into the mid to high 120s. Traders think FB just hit "peak" earnings and that growth will slow but they have been saying that for several quarters and it keeps beating. There is a peak somewhere and I don't know where it is, I try to not let my total disdain for social media taint my feelings too strongly on a trade. I don't understand the FB hype but why fight it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, most simply do not get the business model. They are killing it 7 of the last 8 ER, blowing away estimates each time. Fact is, they still have a lot to monetize. Instagram just hit half a billion users and is hardly tapped for income. Whatsapp hit over 1B users last month and it hasn't been monetized at all. Also there is Messenger with the chat bots in the works, etc. Lots of room for growth. The only thing that scares me is the broader market, which is pretty damn expensive and ready for a correction.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, most simply do not get the business model. They are killing it 7 of the last 8 ER, blowing away estimates each time. Fact is, they still have a lot to monetize. Instagram just hit half a billion users and is hardly tapped for income. Whatsapp hit over 1B users last month and it hasn't been monetized at all. Also there is Messenger with the chat bots in the works, etc. Lots of room for growth. The only thing that scares me is the broader market, which is pretty damn expensive and ready for a correction.

I need a dividend. All the FANG's need to start paying one.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
i hear junkies nation is a good investment option

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FB is a growth stock, not a dividend stock. Apple, on the other hand...
I'm not sold on FB yet.
4uCZrmpS25Ss_z2sKQGI0DPXLSr9Pj819Aj_KUbiDT0LL6PcFhIgPlfz3szxFy_S1R0w-Mi_8IRYXiUnvz5_iqAcWM5ix_7Q.png

MC of 358-billion on 17-Billion Revenue? Look at the price to sales. I get the growth but that has been priced heavily in. P/E is like 60? forward is something like 35.

Not sure where they can pick up 215 billion more in revenue like apple.

Time will tell. In the mean time I will collect my slow dividends.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Strategy is dividends. Slow and steady.
I tried exciting. That wasn't much fun.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Strategy is dividends. Slow and steady.
I tried exciting. That wasn't much fun.

VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF) great way to go for the dividend investor let others chase high PE growth, a sizable portion of all historical stock market returns is dividends. I loved AT&T for some yield in the low to mid 30s I finally sold it this year when it went up into the 40s but I have had sellers remorse on that but so many people chasing yield lots of traditional dividend plays getting a little pricey.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF) great way to go for the dividend investor let others chase high PE growth, a sizable portion of all historical stock market returns is dividends. I loved AT&T for some yield in the low to mid 30s I finally sold it this year when it went up into the 40s but I have had sellers remorse on that but so many people chasing yield lots of traditional dividend plays getting a little pricey.

Currently I have
- Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF
- Vanguard Div Appreciation ETF

As well as the usual suspects (MMM, JNJ, IBM, TGT, VZ and a few more)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Still index investing. I've posted my returns before. Everyone else has just said "oh yeah I made a ton of money off Facebook!", quotes only those returns, and doesn't give any actual data on how their overall portfolio has performed over the years. Presently I'm sitting at about a 9.1% IRR going back to 2004, but I wasn't investing with "real" money until mid 2009 (I think it's about 10.1% since then). No intention of changing my strategy any time soon. Presently my mix is 30% Canadian equities (XIC or HXT), 15% Canadian bonds (VAB), and the other 55% in US/international equities (disaster of VT, VTI, VGK, VPL, VWO, and VXC). Over time I'll up the bond portion to get closer to a 70/30 or 60/40 equity/bond split, but I'm in no rush as risk is fairly irrelevant to me at this point. No intention of touching any of that money any time soon.

I've also got a few hundred K invested in a few other exempt market type things with a friend who's a CFA. Too early to tell how that stuff is doing, it's been just under a year. Two are REITs, another is a private equity group that buys and runs small/medium businesses, and the last is supposed to be a non-correlated hedge fund (Manulife GARS) that'll probably be the first one I tell him to liquidate. Stupid high MER on that last one that chisels away half the gross returns. I probably should have told him I wasn't interested the second he gave me performance data on it that was gross and not net of fees.

I've also invested in a couple condo projects that my company is involved with. One is just wrapping up now and I should see something like 150-160k back from an 100k investment in a small 36 suite project, in somewhere around a year and a half. That's if they sell the last few suites by the fall/winter, for a bit less than originally thought. If they don't sell by then or are blown out cheap, then the returns will be a bit lower. My bro and I got in right before they started construction and after they'd sold the majority of the suites, because one of their original investors had pulled out. So we had next to no risk, didn't have to do fuck all work wise, and were in the same position as the other half dozen or so investors who'd had their money in the project for a year or more longer than us. Needless to say, that investor group wasn't over sophisticated, but they're all really good, honest guys, so we may continue to invest with them if they do another project.

The other project is a much larger one. 30 stories, 200+ suite apartment building downtown. The intent there is likely NOT to sell as soon as the project is completed, occupied, and stabilized. More likely, the investors will retain that asset for 10-20 years. The investment on this one is a lot more money, in the low 7 figure range between my bro and I. It's far more than either of us would normally be interested in investing, but by committing to invest the developer has agreed to sole source us for the mechanical installation on the project. Each part has to make sense, though. I'm not losing money on the investment just to get the work, as the investment itself is worth several times what we could possibly make on the project. And we aren't going to drop our shorts on the mechanical contract just to make the rest of the investors richer. We've never done something like this before, nor has our dad, so it's definitely a bit uncomfortable in that regard. The guys on the other side of the table are good guys, but they're used to dealing with pension and hedge funds etc when seeking equity investment, so we're a bit nervous that we're going to get played. We'll see, I guess! If their projections are even somewhat accurate, it should be a 10-15% IRR investment over the long term, if not better. Or it could be a total dud. Gotta love leverage.

Back to index investing. If you're a Canadian and considering it, it's very worthwhile to read through a shitload of blog posts from here: Canadian Couch Potato

I had to figure a lot of that stuff out for myself, as when I started there were very few good resources for Canadians wanting to index invest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
No worries. At it's most basic, index investing really is VERY simple. But once you start getting multiple accounts (TFSA, RRSP, non-registered, corporate, etc) it can get pretty complicated. That blog, as well as Canadian Portfolio Manager can be hugely helpful in addressing some of the more esoteric aspects of index investing, specifically for Canadians.

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider
Currently I have
- Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF
- Vanguard Div Appreciation ETF

As well as the usual suspects (MMM, JNJ, IBM, TGT, VZ and a few more)
So how do you play this, dividends being payed on the quarter on average. Whats your time frame I doubt your doing a buy and old on ETFs?