Investing General Discussion

Pops

I've swapped far too many times but have ended up holding ET.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I can't actively trade to make money, but I have been setting aside funds for a Disney trip in a couple years. I was contemplating using the money and actually investing in Disney, while teaching the kids about it (12 and 9). I was just going to do sort of a dollar cost averaging strategy while the markets still down.

This being dumb? Feel like worst case I might not make and money, but in two years good be up a decent amount.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can't actively trade to make money, but I have been setting aside funds for a Disney trip in a couple years. I was contemplating using the money and actually investing in Disney, while teaching the kids about it (12 and 9). I was just going to do sort of a dollar cost averaging strategy while the markets still down.

This being dumb? Feel like worst case I might not make and money, but in two years good be up a decent amount.
If you need the money for a trip in a couple of years, I don't know that I would buy stocks with it. We are in vary strange and deep water right now. I would feel terrible if it got gutted in value and thr kids missed a Disney trip. I love Disney.

• 1Like

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
If you need the money for a trip in a couple of years, I don't know that I would buy stocks with it. We are in vary strange and deep water right now. I would feel terrible if it got gutted in value and thr kids missed a Disney trip. I love Disney.

That's fair. I don't know that I'd forgo them the trip if this went totally sideways...but if we go much more sideways than we are now it might get cancelled anyway.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's fair. I don't know that I'd forgo them the trip if this went totally sideways...but if we go much more sideways than we are now it might get cancelled anyway.
If, big if, if you were bound and determined to invest I would buy MSFT. Some might say AAPL, but for my money on a sure thing if there is one, it would be MSFT. After all we have been through it still hasn't come close to its 52 week low. Its the closest thing to bulletproof we have in my opinion.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Futures opened up
Interesting. Looks like markets are really hoping that opec all kiss and make up while trumps wish that we're close to the peak is true. Lots of people betting on the markets continuing their downtrend are probably getting hosed.

Mean while my govies are paying out a little, and I'm slowly piling onto my cash for when I buy in.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

If you are needing 2 years to save up for a trip for your little kids, then no you should not be gambling with that money. Your kids will be excited about a visit to Disney only for a few more years.

• 1Like

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
If you are needing 2 years to save up for a trip for your little kids, then no you should not be gambling with that money. Your kids will be excited about a visit to Disney only for a few more years.

Oh no, I have the money. It was sitting in a money market mutual fund making a little bit before the downturn happened.

Maybe I'll just do a partial investment in Disney instead of the whole thing.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The OPEC meeting got pushed out to Thursday (from tomorrow). I expect this to hammer oil and consequently the overall market tomorrow. Unless there is some really good news dropping today, tomorrow should have more blood running in the streets. Or maybe just what passes for a "normal" down day in our new world. Down 3 or 4%.
Headline on Bloomberg was all about Trump comparing C19 deaths in the coming weeks to world wars. Whether true or not, those headlines have spooked markets over the last month. Tomorrow could be bloody.. Or, as Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes said.. Just "the new normal" world we live in.
And this is why I don't day trade.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pops

Oh no, I have the money. It was sitting in a money market mutual fund making a little bit before the downturn happened.

Maybe I'll just do a partial investment in Disney instead of the whole thing.
Check your mm tax free funds the yields are still relatively high. 2.41 in AZ. Was 5 ish. MM's are backstopped by the Fed. Haha the same Fed that gave FNMA and FreddieMac an implied backstop.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how much of today is a short squeeze on thise who stayed short over the weekend.

Too many people guessing short almost certainly has helped pause the drop.

And this is why I don't day trade.

Me either. I never base my decisions on the day, but I will make decisions based on timelines months away. Way back in september, before covid I was planning to move to safer stocks around april of this year because I saw a lot of overvaluation in tech and similar stocks and was thinking a correction would come sometime toward the end of this year hitting tech hardest. I honestly thought it'd be a politically timed correction. When covid popped up, the already poor fundamentals made me decide that bonds until late april is the correct course, and I've stuck to that plan irregardless of what the stock market does day to day.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
JP Morgan: The worst is yet to come!

Morgan Stanley: The worst is over!

And we're supposed to trust our money with these clowns? Both articles literally right next to each other too.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont think weve seen the worst, maybe not stockmarket wise but economically in general. You cant essentially shut down the entire tourism and entertainment industries for a few months and there not be serious problems.

Also really wishing I had bought back into AMD friday at under $42. But it could have easily dropped as much today as well.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Even if these quarantines are hyper effective here, the global shockwaves of this disease will cause a lot of pain for the rest of the year, because places like india will not have effective quarantines. That said, stocks won't necessarily follow the fundamentals, since they are typically a more emotional investment.

Lots of talk of margin calls on private accounts and lawsuits around them starting to pop out now. I think some people are definitely getting turbo hazed for playing things short. That's the main reason recessions like these tend to oscillate. It's never just one side that gets burned.