Investing General Discussion

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Coinbase has them at $1460 now. I think they went up about 20% in April. Probably due for a bubble burst soon.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I remember my brother-in-law back in the 2009-2010 timeframe mining a bunch. He almost convinced me to do the same. I'm almost positive he didn't keep any of them though.

I don't know how many bitcoins you could mine back then as an individual, but it does make me wonder a bit at what could have been.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
So my 401K should be hitting "oh hello valued customer" levels at some point in the next couple of months/years depending on the market. It's currently with Fidelity and 100% in Vanguard 2050 fund right now. Should I consider doing something else with it like getting an external advisor/company or whatever rather than sticking with big generic fidelity? I've talked to their advisors maybe twice and they all seemed retarded or just poorly trained Filipino call center workers who go back and forth between cable company tech support and financial adviser.

An easy way to do it is to hire an advisor to do a single financial advising fee, like $250-500 for 1-2 days of work on your 401k. That way you don't have to worry about any weird % based fees and you'll probably get some good advice because he/she will be looking to work with that money in the future! So, have the meeting and go for some basic advice - is your investment reflective of your risk tolerance, what do I do if the shit hits the fan completely, do I stay do I go, things like that will help you sleep better and you get another opinion for relatively cheap. Its definitely not necessary, but couldn't hurt. Some advisors do their homework and research the fund managers and shit, including what the guys ended up doing at the previous funds. That could give you an idea of if you're just riding a huge market wave or if you're actually in something that's worth a fuck. Just my 2 cents but I don't really know shit yet so don't take it too far lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of taking a position on Target since their price tanked since November. Strong history of comebacks (I mostly just go long on my money) seems like it will rebound back up in a year or so. They're putting a ton of cash into remodeling and new brands and shit. I've got about 10% returns year to year so far.

Thoughts?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
An easy way to do it is to hire an advisor to do a single financial advising fee, like $250-500 for 1-2 days of work on your 401k. That way you don't have to worry about any weird % based fees and you'll probably get some good advice because he/she will be looking to work with that money in the future! So, have the meeting and go for some basic advice - is your investment reflective of your risk tolerance, what do I do if the shit hits the fan completely, do I stay do I go, things like that will help you sleep better and you get another opinion for relatively cheap. Its definitely not necessary, but couldn't hurt. Some advisors do their homework and research the fund managers and shit, including what the guys ended up doing at the previous funds. That could give you an idea of if you're just riding a huge market wave or if you're actually in something that's worth a fuck. Just my 2 cents but I don't really know shit yet so don't take it too far lol
Absolutely this. The only way I'd ever recommend someone talk to a financial advisor is if it's a flat fee. That actually makes sense (ignoring that I'm still dubious of the value of an advisor). A percentage of your portfolio is a ridiculous way to pay for financial services.

It "makes sense" if you're absolutely trying to wring as much money as possible from your clients.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Thinking of taking a position on Target since their price tanked since November. Strong history of comebacks (I mostly just go long on my money) seems like it will rebound back up in a year or so. They're putting a ton of cash into remodeling and new brands and shit. I've got about 10% returns year to year so far.

Thoughts?
I tried it a month or two ago and ended up dumping it. It has been a value trap, the dividend will keep sucking in new money but they have a lot of headwinds. I think it's worth a swing trade but I there are better long term holds. Earnings are soon and it's a gamble buying ahead of that. Wait two weeks read the earnings report and then decide unless you want to try for the quick 5-6% pop on a better than expected report but I try to avoid that type of short term risk personally.

If report is bad as other retailers have been it will be in the high 40s, at which point I think your downside is limited

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL @ idiots who bought and held AMD.

Pilot friend of mine went heavy in early last year.. I flat out told him I would sell while he was ahead at roughly $12 per share a while back. It was all hype at that point.

Think he got stung today.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
AMD is still way overvalued. should be around 6. then again the whole market is way over-inflated so who the fuck knows.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
you guys do any penny stock stuff?

I'm looking at some penny stocks in the emerging semi-legal cannabis industry

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
you guys do any penny stock stuff?

I'm looking at some penny stocks in the emerging semi-legal cannabis industry

bored enough to troll the investing thread? On the off chance you aren't trolling there is perfectly legitimate cannabis related companies to invest in without goofing around in scam ridden penny stocks