Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Surprised Friday's tech stock hit isn't beings discussed. Short version is Goldman Sachs basically called the tech market a bubble, which wiped nearly 2% off the Nasdaq Friday. Today's open has continued that bleed and we are down another 1%. Apple has been downgraded and was down 4% earlier, but has recovered some.

Should be an interesting week with the Fed rate hike coming Wednesday amongst other things happening.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The fact that money is rotating within equities is definitely hiding the strength of the move when just looking at market as a whole. Friday was my best day of the year so far and today might manage to pass it, the sectors that had been suffering are receiving all that tech cash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I just got my Roth IRA moved from a firm into my own account using MyMerrell, which is a clusterfuck of a user experience.

Any suggestions on managing my own Roth and moving into the market with any excess cash?

I'm guessing I need two things:
  1. I need a good place to research my strategy (I'm assuming I'll want to trade on a set of rules)
    • Any modeling software you guys use would be appreciated
  2. I need a good piece of software to manage/trade my investments
  3. I need somewhere to research my next-steps in trading on the market
I feel like trading in the WoW AH was similar to stocks and has given me some sort of weak-ass experience, but I was using a ton of research software and tools that did a lot of the guess work for me. Buying low and selling high was relatively easy, I just had to identify the opportunities.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Ultimately, I want to get myself setup with enough tools and know-how to maximize off the next crash :D

Pops

Ultimately, I want to get myself setup with enough tools and know-how to maximize off the next crash :D
You would be best served buying Index funds with low management fees, not putting much in any one thing. You haven't shown yourself to be very bright, only lucky enough to have been born on third base.

• 1Like

Pops

Easy there pops, no need for personal attacks.
Dumbshit kid called me out long ago when I tried to give him some sound advice. Just gave him more, only more harshly. He's comparing the market to WoW's AH and is ready to invest?

Pops

Surprised Friday's tech stock hit isn't beings discussed. Short version is Goldman Sachs basically called the tech market a bubble, which wiped nearly 2% off the Nasdaq Friday. Today's open has continued that bleed and we are down another 1%. Apple has been downgraded and was down 4% earlier, but has recovered some.

Should be an interesting week with the Fed rate hike coming Wednesday amongst other things happening.

If the go go stuff rolls over look out.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just got my Roth IRA moved from a firm into my own account using MyMerrell, which is a clusterfuck of a user experience.

Any suggestions on managing my own Roth and moving into the market with any excess cash?

I'm guessing I need two things:
  1. I need a good place to research my strategy (I'm assuming I'll want to trade on a set of rules)
    • Any modeling software you guys use would be appreciated
  2. I need a good piece of software to manage/trade my investments
  3. I need somewhere to research my next-steps in trading on the market
I feel like trading in the WoW AH was similar to stocks and has given me some sort of weak-ass experience, but I was using a ton of research software and tools that did a lot of the guess work for me. Buying low and selling high was relatively easy, I just had to identify the opportunities.
Eh? Are you trying to day trade with your Roth IRA? That's...not how that works. You're going to destroy your entire IRA with short term capital gains and penalties.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Eh? Are you trying to day trade with your Roth IRA? That's...not how that works. You're going to destroy your entire IRA with short term capital gains and penalties.

Not at all.

I'm wanting to drop my Roth into something and then manage my excess cash.

error

Molten Core Raider
I read some of the thread, not all, so forgive me if this was covered. I'm just looking for an opinion on something I read on bogleheads. I'm not into investing (yet) as I think I have a lot of learning to do and really, I think I'd want to concentrate on these simple priorities below.

1. 401k to company match
2. Max Roth IRA
3. Max 401k
4. Other Investments / Trading

Thoughts? Previously, I ignored the idea of the Roth and went straight for maxing my 401k. Also, until I have the money to accomplish the first three, is there really a reason to engage a CFP for anything?

fuck me, I realized this is just a straight up retirement question posted in an investing thread. :/

Last edited:

Pops

I read some of the thread, not all, so forgive me if this was covered. I'm just looking for an opinion on something I read on bogleheads. I'm not into investing (yet) as I think I have a lot of learning to do and really, I think I'd want to concentrate on these simple priorities below.

1. 401k to company match
2. Max Roth IRA
3. Max 401k

Thoughts? Previously, I ignored the idea of the Roth and went straight for maxing my 401k. Also, until I have the money to accomplish the first three, is there really a reason to engage a CFP for anything?

fuck me, I realized this is just a straight up retirement question posted in an investing thread. :/
Haha. You are investing for your retirement.

Max 401K. First and foremost.
Roth vs traditional IRA. Depends a lot on tax bracket. Max it, can't go wrong building wealth tax deferred.

Now what to invest in? Just diversify, get a solid base down of conservative investments. Stocks with a proven track record of raising dividends. But the market is discounting the future far too much. Hard to get excited at these levels.

You like income? Tough luck, the yield stinks. Use a ladder approach 20% 1 year, 20% 2 year, etc. You will always be rolling the 1 year at maturity into the 5 year. Rates rising won't trap you.

Market crash? Blow out the ladder.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They say 401k to company match because it's an automatic 50-100% return (depending on how they match). But realistically, you should just max it if you can.

I'm not a huge fan of the Roth IRA, unless you're poor. Like, under the 10% tax bracket poor. And if that's the case, you're not doing a 401k.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

1. 401k to company match
2. Max Roth IRA
3. Max 401k

Many here support, myself included, using target retirement funds that Fidelity and Vanguard offer. They are ultra low cost they will adjust automatically as you age. They are the ultimate "set it and and forget it" investment vehicles for retirement accounts.

And my vote for priority would be:
1. max 401k
2.max IRA
3. destroy debt with a vengeance,
4. Non retirement investment/trading

• 1Solidarity

error

Molten Core Raider
Alright, cool. I was close to #1, but recently bought a home and have had to dial it back a bit due to daycare costs ($2k a month) for now. I'm already good with #3, besides a mortgage. I guess next step is to read up more on investing and play my hand at it to try and make money for more money/toys.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I guess next step is to read up more on investing and play my hand at it to try and make money for more money/toys.

The difficulty of this is rather high and most people fail at trading. If you do go down this road I would highly recommend paper trading for quite some time, but keep in mind success there is still not the same thing as doing it for real, as the number one enemy of trading vs. long term investing is human psychology. I would also recommend reading "Reminiscences of a stock operator" written a 100 yrs ago but quite insightful into what separates many from success.

I would pay off a mortgage way before I'd ever play around with stock trading, and I say that as someone who has done both.

https://www.amazon.com/Reminiscence...e+livermore+reminiscences+of+a+stock+operator

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Obviously higher rates means more choices (competition) for what investors do with a dollar, and if the 10yr rate climbs to be more competitive with the earnings yield of the S&P it absolutely could be a headwind to equities. But if we see strong economic growth powering earnings higher that could be sufficient tailwind to offset the downward pressure and still see further gains in the market. Central banks tightening in the next few years is absolutely something to watch, but not while putting blinders on to potential gains in fundamentals. There is a monstrous crowd of investors at this point all waiting for a downturn, just have to be careful that you don't misinterpret a short term correction as a change in long term trend. We are high enough above the mean that we can easily correct 5-10% without endangering the bull trend.