Investing General Discussion

Siliconemelons

Jumping in here as a poor person

Small history with stocks: I got "hooked" on penny stocks about 6 years ago, followed a half dozen email lists - TLDR: made some money, lost almost everything - buckled down on trigger impulse - cleared out the crappy lists - managed to make back everything +1500$ cashed out and haven't touched a penny stock since. The stress of watching every tick + or -, the frustration of the limitations of tools I had being a sub 10k investor - the fees sometimes making or breaking the deal- It was just, not how I wanted to live lol- actually, I still have some of one stock floating around because it was a flop down below the trade fee price- so I have had it for years lol.

So now, family, kids, whatever- the wife is like "we need to invest for the children etc." - then I saw an add very randomly for Stash Invest - Start Investing Today | Stash Invest - honestly in my forever history on the internet, I have actually clicked on like 5 adds lol.

Looks interesting, basically mutual funds or whatnot - 12$ a year or 0.25% for accounts over $5000 and no transaction fees.

So looking at it, it seems a decent way to do some basic investing in diversified funds and not have transaction fees every time you want to move it- and a decent cost for the service at 1$ a month.

I know this is no high level investing nor something really "good" for the big $ people - but it looks interesting for a normal easy entry and I do not really see that much downside, other than well...potentially poor gains.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I highly recommend you don't try to do active trading for long term investing.

And if you're not doing active trading, .25% is abysmal. Open an account with Vanguard or Fidelity, pick one of the numerous .04-.07% index funds, and stop trying to think you're smarter than the market.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

I aint smarter than the market, that's why I never will touch day trading again lol - been there and done that as I said.

Its 12$ a year till 5k to use their service, I can buy into their funds and move money around their funds and do daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly investments etc. all for the 1$

As I said, I know this is not some inception high level shit- its very basic funds that, at least according to their listed % returns are actually good for such ease of access.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I aint smarter than the market, that's why I never will touch day trading again lol - been there and done that as I said.

Its 12$ a year till 5k to use their service, I can buy into their funds and move money around their funds and do daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly investments etc. all for the 1$

As I said, I know this is not some inception high level shit- its very basic funds that, at least according to their listed % returns are actually good for such ease of access.

Not knocking their services but I fail to see how that is better than Vanguard .

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not knocking their services but I fail to see how that is better than Vanguard .
It's not. It's a .24% fee just to use their services, at the absolute minimum (higher the less you have). And that's before you even get into whatever the fee is for the fund.

That's versus Vanguard where you're looking at probably .1 to .15% for having that small of an amount. I'd also guess that with what he's talking about, your fees get higher once you go over $5k, whereas with Vanguard once you're into their Admiral funds, they plummet (like .04% for VTSAX).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Hurm, haven't looked at what Vanguard is... I have not looked into anything in years honestly - I have my pension and some small investments from before that and my wife's 401k.

12$ a year and the ease of entry looked good to me. Most things were fee and charges per transaction etc. were what was annoying to me as just a "normal poor guy" that does not have a huge portfolio of tens of thousands of dollars. I mean count my house and pension sure, but in terms of just normal liquid $ no.

I will look at vanguard, this thing was just quite easy to get into simple sign up, bank account link and done.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vanguard is just as easy - Had bank account, investment account, and IRA's all set up in an hour.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They say a picture is worth a thousand words but in investing it is worth so much more. Having a few extreme charts on your wall can be a helpful reminder that there is no such thing as “can’t”, “won’t,” or “has to” in markets. The market doesn’t have to do anything, and certainly not what you think it “should” do. The market doesn’t abide by any hard and fast rules; it does what it wants to do and when it wants to do it.

That’s what makes it so hard and at the same time so interesting. And that’s why listening to the endless prophesies of gurus and pundits can be so dangerous. They don’t know anything more about the future than you or I, which is to say they don’t know anything about it at all.

Find some charts that speak to you personally, and post them on your wall. Hopefully they’ll serve as a constant reminder that the range of possible outcomes is much wider than you think. You will need to suspend your disbelief at times to succeed, because the market is forever doing things that it has never done before. There is no impossible in this wonderful game, only more or less probable. Truly understanding that can go a long way toward controlling your emotions and becoming a better investor.

I have to say. This might be the worst 3 paragraphs of advice I've ever read on investing.

Siliconemelons

was that a case...for...or against diversification.

Or did he get butt-hurt at the quote "the market historically has always had a return of about 9%" or whatever it was.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Invested in my first company a few days ago and have already made $10, haha.

I used the Robin Hood app and put $200 into Weyerhauser (WYE).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There should be a disclaimer in this thread about scams and bad deals.

If you want to invest and you're new open a Vanguard or Fidelity account.

If you want to invest and you're a pro just keep dumping money into your Vanguard or Fidelity account.

Beat 99% of investors, case closed. Done.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There should be a disclaimer in this thread about scams and bad deals.

If you want to invest and you're new open a Vanguard or Fidelity account.

If you want to invest and you're a pro just keep dumping money into your Vanguard or Fidelity account.

Beat 99% of investors, case closed. Done.

Finally a Khane post I can get behind

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the Fed announced they're going to start cutting back 10 billion a month of the 4.2 trillion in mortgage backed securities that they bought up after that 2008 meltdown. How does this play out for the markets?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So the Fed announced they're going to start cutting back 10 billion a month of the 4.2 trillion in mortgage backed securities that they bought up after that 2008 meltdown. How does this play out for the markets?

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...harted-territory-by-cutting-its-balance-sheet

"Perhaps as early as September, the Fed plans to start reducing its balance sheet by $10 billion each month by not reinvesting the proceeds of its maturing holdings of U.S. Treasury bonds and mortgage backed securities."

I mean, not reinvesting the proceeds is not the same thing as a sell-off. I imagine it will be a non-event.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Unless they start accelerating it, there will be no real impact. Would take them years to roll that off, and we know this fed at even the slightest hickup they will pause it. Listen to her press conference today and it's just more of the same of being very dovish and just cautiously hinting at pulling back. I certainly hope we get the hike in December but I would not at all be surprised if we don't, and they will sight the storms as a reason causing a stalling of 3rd qtr gdp.

They really are inflating certain hard assets like real estate which does very little for middle to lower income Americans, who also benefit little to nothing from ever rising stock prices. If low unemployment continues we should start seeing some decent gains on wages, outside of major catalyst we really could be stuck in this ultra low rate, tepid growth environment for many years to come.

The flattening of the yield curve is something to watch because if it inverts that more often than not doesn't bode well for the near term economy, but the FED will continue to jaw bone the credit markets in the direction they want them. When that ceases to work is when they will have my attention for changes a foot.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Held my nose and started nibbling on some T today, lots of concerns about their growth in next few years but willing to risk some given how far we have pulled back. Yield is now near 6% and FCF is healthy enough to maintain. I may sell kind of soon if we get a pop related to iphone X mania or the closing of time warner merger