Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Market to me is too high. When it comes to investing now, I wait for a bubble pop or recession. They happen every 15 to 20 years without fail. Look at bank of America 5 years ago around 11 dollars and now close to 40. That made me 30k .I wait until the market takes a dive and really invest. Playing the market right now for me is foolish. I'll wait for another crisis.

While I do agree markets are frothy right now, waiting a decade for a bubble pop is crazy.

How a few poorly-timed trades can torpedo two decades of healthy returns

cotd-missed-days.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
While I do agree markets are frothy right now, waiting a decade for a bubble pop is crazy.

How a few poorly-timed trades can torpedo two decades of healthy returns

cotd-missed-days.png
Agreed to make it clear keep your safe stocks in trusted companies. Pull from voiltile companies. Hold then invest. My strategy is long term with having a decent reserve to buy into the dips. You aren't incorrect with your graph, however if you have a higher buy in power when you research into companies who are not going anywhere, you get the best of both worlds. You're long term and your capitalizing stocks

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I guess the big question going into next week, is if this correction is over or still have a little life left in it. I'm probably going to buy in some more on Monday myself.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So I guess the big question going into next week, is if this correction is over or still have a little life left in it. I'm probably going to buy in some more on Monday myself.

It appears to be over but there is no way know until we have hindsight but Friday's action appeared to be the bottom of this move. That doesn't mean we just jump back to high, choppy consolidation is likely.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It appears to be over but there is no way know until we have hindsight but Friday's action appeared to be the bottom of this move. That doesn't mean we just jump back to high, choppy consolidation is likely.

I would argue the Olympics will help dampen volatility a bit. Especially if it maybe hints at a slight easing in Korean relations.

On the flip side, we're very close to finding out if Trump is going to sit down with Mueller. And I imagine the legal implications of that are going to bring some real fear into the markets. The last thing people want to see is confidence in the US markets going down by Trump going on trial for perjury or worse.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
is it illegal to spread false rumors about a company so their stock drops in order to buy low and sell on the rebound?

Pops

What a weird thing to call out when it's closed below 2673 tons of times this year.

Hah I realized that after posting. Jysin's post is more pertinent. Seems like rotation, tech has peaked.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have an IRA I keep maxed out and managed by someone else but more as a hobby I thought i would learn how to invest so I started watching Youtube videos and reading mrmoneymostache and the first thing I learnt is I may be getting ripped off as they charge me 1.35% to manage my IRA.

What advice would you give someone new to investing that wanted to learn more about the process? I just moved 10 grand to a Vanguard account and plan to open up a total market index fund with that but I would also love to learn how to pick some of my own stocks. I am self employed, own some real estate so I really don't mind some risk and once I have a better hang of things I may roll over my IRA into Vanguard.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I have an IRA I keep maxed out and managed by someone else but more as a hobby I thought i would learn how to invest so I started watching Youtube videos and reading mrmoneymostache and the first thing I learnt is I may be getting ripped off as they charge me 1.35% to manage my IRA.

What advice would you give someone new to investing that wanted to learn more about the process? I just moved 10 grand to a Vanguard account and plan to open up a total market index fund with that but I would also love to learn how to pick some of my own stocks. I am self employed, own some real estate so I really don't mind some risk and once I have a better hang of things I may roll over my IRA into Vanguard.

You absolutely are getting ripped off getting charged 1.35%, unless your friend is Warren Buffet and consistently beating the market by 2%. A completely set-and-forget robo-investor can do it for .25-.35%.

The Bogleheads wiki has a lot of great stuff, although their asset allocation is very conservative, especially if you're young (I personally run ~90% stock/commodity and 10% bond).

There are a variety of strategies in regards to stock picking; The Intelligent Investor is considered to be the definitive classic on what is called value investing (finding companies that are considered undervalued by the market), and one of the books that Buffett got rich off of.

If you want to pick your own stocks, Fidelity and Schwab are both good. So is Merrill Edge if you have a large asset pool, because Bank of America rewards their customers based on how much money you have with them (free trades if you have more than $50k with them as well as credit card bonuses).

Vanguard is good as far as 401ks, and they are considered to be one of the best families for passively-managed funds, but they are not a good pick if you are looking to frequently buy and sell stock, because they charge $20? $25? a trade.

Beware of fees. They are what kills your return more than anything else. Market jitters are an inevitability, fees can be minimized.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I trade with Vanguard either free or $2 but it likely has to do with how much you have on deposit with them. But the tools are bare minimum, but work fine for long term investing.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I trade with Vanguard either free or $2 but it likely has to do with how much you have on deposit with them. But the tools are bare minimum, but work fine for long term investing.

Yeah, looks like it's based on total assets. Vanguard's kind of like Merrill/BofA in that they give you more perks the more you have with them. And the fees don't really apply so long as you're willing to stay with their no transaction fee mutual funds, just if you plan on stock trading.

As far as research tools, Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, and Merrill are all great.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There are a variety of strategies in regards to stock picking; The Intelligent Investor is considered to be the definitive classic on what is called value investing (finding companies that are considered undervalued by the market), and one of the books that Buffett got rich off of.
Still time to buy AMD before it leaves the station.

Intel has royally fucked itself for the next 2 years at a minimum. Their 10nm process is completely worthless and basically dead now, while AMD is set to release its 7nm Zen processor in the next 6 months and its going to offer significant performance increases over its already competitive 14/12nm Zen.

Intel is in full on panic mode. They just fired their idiot CEO and got laughed out of Computex.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
For the short to intermediate term, yes, they're in hot water. However, I expect that Intel will have a supremely competitive chip in 3-4 years: they poached Jim Keller, the rockstar behind Athlon 64, Zen, and Apple Ax redesign. Wouldn't surprise me if they finally killed of P6 redesigns and did a from-scratch design like Zen.