Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seems like AMD is a good buy for this year then into the next two years at minimum. I'll consider taking a bite of that.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So wanted to ask a really dumb question. Wife and I are looking to put minimum 80% cash down for a house we are building in Wyoming. However we have not really seriously started a investment account. WHat would you guys recommend for a ratio of the savings toward each, to best take advantage of both. The house is roughly 300k cap.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
WHat would you guys recommend for a ratio of the savings toward each, to best take advantage of both. .

Do you mean house vs the investment account?

Do you have access to 401k at your work? With matching? If so that is the best place to put money first. Can put 18k a yr each, if you if you have one.

If not you should at minimum be putting $5500/yr in IRAs for yourself and wife. Roth vs Traditional is a little harder to answer without income levels, but if you haven't even started saving for retirement then your retirement tax rate is unlikely to exceed your current tax rate tilting things towards Traditional being better than roth IF income level is low enough to fully deduct.

Maybe you mean investment outside of standard retirement planning, in that regard I personally try to keep my Real estate holdings and cash investments on a 50/50 but having said that I wouldn't really consider a home an investment.

There is the obvious arguments of investing money vs it sitting in equity in a home. I'm a strong believer in being debt free because the bar for succeeding that way is much easier than playing a leveraged game trying to get ahead. Debt free life brings financial discipline and tons of security and stress free living.

Grats on your new house.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
When you say put 80% down, do you mean pay mostly cash? Or do you mean put 20% down to avoid mortgage insurance? What's your timeline for wanting to buy the house?

If you need to save 60k and want to buy the house in 3 years, then you'll need to save 20k a year. Then make sure you have at least another 10k set aside for furnishing/stuff breaking on the new house. Then investment accounts.

That being said, if your work does 401k matching, that should always be highest priority since it's free money.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
A0Tltmu.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tell me why I should be buying Amazon stock because looking at the numbers it just seems foolish. For the same price I can and did buy 23 shares of Walmart and they are growing their online business every year.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Tell me why I should be buying Amazon stock because looking at the numbers it just seems foolish. For the same price I can and did buy 23 shares of Walmart and they are growing their online business every year.

Not agreeing or disagreeing but the stock price should be irrelevant to an investment decision. The valuation between the two would be a valid point but we don't weigh an investment on share price. It's not an acceptable metric to compare apples to apples. Rev/share EPS, capitalization, etc. are all metrics to compare one to the other.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider

Also, Amazon's retail business is not even close to the most profitable part of the business. They make most of their money on AWS. So you should be comparing them more with tech companies than retailers.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Because the market loves Amazon's growth in an irrational way that seems to have no end.

AWS, responsible for a majority of Amazon's profits, should continue to grow for at least the next five years. That growth has slowed as other competitors have entered the market more seriously and as AWS reached a level where growth was simply no longer possible at near triple digits, but it should continue to increase Amazon's profits.

The better question is why shouldn't you invest in Amazon? When is their retail growth going to seriously slow down, because there has to be an end to it? And when it does slow down, how is the market going to react when it realizes you can't just flip a switch in retail and start increasing margins to actually make money, so I'm stuck with a slowing growth stock that has a PE of 300 and no dividend in sight?

Right now it looks like Amazon is going to blow by Apple and be the first to a $1T market cap, I wouldn't bet against that at this point. They announce earnings July 26, it could happen that soon at the rate they're going.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That article said FZROX is out on Friday which would have been 3AUG. Is it only available to Fidelity accounts?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Hot: Gold and Silver (in your house safe not in anyone else's "safe"), Microsoft, Heineken, British-American Tobacco, Apple, and Intel.
Not: JP Morgan Chase, Google, Gold and Silver Mining Stocks or Paper Gold and Silver.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Seems like AMD is a good buy for this year then into the next two years at minimum. I'll consider taking a bite of that.

Thanks, AMD RSUs <3 Them cost basis make me moist.

I'm really struggling to not sell some of this at this point.

1534254024226.png

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Chase is taking their kid gloves off. Next week, they are going to be redoing their trading platform and calling it YouInvest. You get 100 free trades for the first year, and you continue to get 100 free trades per year if you maintain at least a $15k balance with them. Trades after the 100 free are $2.95 per trade. And if you qualify for Private Client status (150k+?), you get unlimited free trades.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
10 weeks ago I bought 20 grand worth of self picked stocks 5 grand of which was walmart and while I know a 10 week viewing does not mean jack shit I am pleased to say what I bought is growing at a current rate of 50%!!