Investing General Discussion

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if any of you saw this. But to go with Robin Hood being some shenanigans. So, basically the app (because it is a dumb app, most likely an oversight on their part) allows anyone to just start putting down options despite not having the underlying collateral to actually make a call IE naked calls. Some joker here recognized this and sought to game the system by making relatively safe calls to guarantee some return here with far more money than he actually had in the RH account.

Where it gets interesting is his plan didn't fail until the risk management people at RH saw this. Likely triggered some internal flagging eventually so they forcibly sold off his shit. Leaving him at a loss of -$58k. I imagine they will be getting sued over that. They made an update to the app so you can't do this anymore and also changed their TOS.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
writing naked options is something a broker will let you do with sufficient experience , but it's completely inappropriate for RH. Writing options at all probably shouldn't be allowed other than covered calls.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Anyone with thoughts on how to play AMD this Monday and Tuesday (before the Tuesday evening Earnings Report)?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Intel was down 5.5% after earnings while AMD was up 6%. Market doesnt seem concerned about AMD.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well NVDA just through a nice wrench into any AMD play semi's getting clobbered on lower guidance.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whats every ones age and allocation? I am 48 and have 0 in bonds. I am late to the stock game with only 150 grand invested and I own a business and some rentals so I feel I can afford the risk.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
41 50% Real estate/20%stocks/30% cash/bonds. My allocation is conservative because I already hit critical mass and don't want to ever have earn a lot again if I don't want to.

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Anyone using M1 Finance?

I just started on it a month ago and I really like the platform. You get to build your own mutual funds in a sense, and the default setting is set to reinvest dividends into rebalancing your portfolio into your preset allocation %'s. Can also choose from a pretty good variety of ETF's to add to your "pies." Might be a good place for the small investor. I'm just automatically depositing a couple hundred a week at this point.

I had to start from zero all over again in my 30's, since when I got laid off from my old shitty job I decided to finally goto school and wanted to do it debt free and blew through what savings I had to get my degree with no loans or anything like that.

The last 2 years in my new career I've been rebuilding using Robinhood for what I invest beyond my 401k, but thinking I might like M1 better for my style since I don't trade frequently and the majority of the investments I tend to go for are the boring income producing kind.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Pretty cool tool, don't see the harm if you are keeping your 401k money in a good broad market index and just want to be more involved in your investing. Because there is no fees they are going to make money off the trades but the couple pennies they shave from trades should have little impact on long term performance.

Fractional shares, div reinvestment, re balancing, those are all nice perks to have. Will you outperform just buying a broad index? probably not but there is value in people being more engaged in their finances that is an intangible that has benefits in the long run.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Would be cool. We could use a cut + a trade deal to light a fire under 2019’s ass and get people buying homes again.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
What platform are you guys using for trading? I've decided to finally become an adult and invest my recent bonus but I don't know if I should just open a Schwab account to dip my toe in or if that's for plebs.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What platform are you guys using for trading? I've decided to finally become an adult and invest my recent bonus but I don't know if I should just open a Schwab account to dip my toe in or if that's for plebs.

Personally:
IRAs: Merrill Edge
Brokerages: TD Ameritrade + Fidelity

First, if you haven't maxed your IRA or have a plan to max your IRA, throw it in there. Maxing out your HSA also takes priority over a taxable brokerage if you have one. Your choice of broker will also be affected by your investment style; some brokers are better for active traders, while others are better for passives. Most of the advice I'm offering below is from a passive perspective.

Schwab and Fidelity are both good all-arounders; both have great customer service, stock research, and cash management accounts (read: online checking accounts with decent interest and universal ATM fee reimbursement.) Schwab probably outpaces Fidelity slightly once you reach the mass affluent range ($250k+ invested); Fidelity has a good no-fuss 2% cash back card (so long as you deposit in a Fidelity account), but the Schwab Platinum starts giving you statement credits once you hit 250k in net assets invested with Schwab, and it lets you redeem Amex MR points into your Schwab accounts at a value of 1.25 cents to one MR point, which probably outpaces the Fidelity card if you are a big spender and know how to maximize your point accrual within the Amex ecosystem.

Merrill Edge is really good as well if you're a Bank of America customer, and you get the lowest tier of Preferred Rewards, their loyalty program, starting at just $20k split between your combined BofA bank and Merrill Edge investment balances. With Preferred Rewards Gold (20k), you get 10 free trades a month, Platinum (50k) 30, and Platinum Honors (100k) 100. BofA's customer service is kind of iffy until you qualify for Preferred Rewards but good once you do; Merrill's is good period. Their research is good, but not quite as robust as Schwab and Fidelity's. Another drawback: only mutual funds are no-transaction fee, not ETFs (not a huge deal once you qualify for free trades, but something to take note of). The expense ratios on their NTF mutual funds also tend to be higher than Fidelity's (again, only an issue until you get the free trades.)

TD Ameritrade is more expensive than the above, but they have a fuckton of investor education and probably tie with Fidelity for best research.

Vanguard is good if you plan to passively invest using solely Vanguard funds, but bad if you plan to do active trading. They have some nice features including access to a CFP if you have high account balances with them, but when I say "high account balances", I mean high ($500k+). If you have less than $50k with them, they basically don't give a shit about you.

If you want to be totally hands-off and go with a robo-advisor, Wealthfront and Schwab's Intelligent Portfolios are probably your best choice for taxable accounts (low fees+tax-loss harvesting.)

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So in the most recent Zeihan video, he mentions that the boomers are close to hitting retirement age and that in the next couple years as they convert their investments to bonds/cash, the cost of capital will increase. What does this mean for the markets/stocks etc?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So in the most recent Zeihan video, he mentions that the boomers are close to hitting retirement age and that in the next couple years as they convert their investments to bonds/cash, the cost of capital will increase. What does this mean for the markets/stocks etc?

If they are buying more bonds the cost of capital will go down, interest rates are inversely proportional to price. There could be an issue for equities as more boomers decide to leave the market, this is part of why the Fed wants to keep such a lid on interest rates so that there is no other alternative. Boomers would already be in bonds more heavily than they are if it was not for record low interest rates forcing them into riskier assets. My own super gloomy future is what happens if we have another severe down turn boomers will end up taking it on the chin for a third time and this time at an age they can't recover from it, due to an over exposure to equities given their age.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The boomers aren't close to retirement, they're already there. The youngest baby boomers were born in the early 60's and are now in their mid-50's. The rest are in their 60's and 70's already.

But with the oldest millennials entering their late 30's, I'd guess it's a pretty equal replacement; meaning whatever capital is pulled out for boomer retirement is made up for by millennial investments.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Good day for AMD, it's almost up over 30 again.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hi everyone.. I'm interested in learning about residential real estate investing. Ie, buying a low cost property and renting it out, and I would be using a property management company. Would anyone be able to help walk me through the numbers?

For example:
Purchase price $60,000
20% down = $12,000 (how to lower 20% down?)
Leveraged $48,000 - do you really get a mortgage for this? Or?
How much does the property depreciate each year, and this is tax deductible?
Mortgage interest is tax deductible? What if it's not technically a mortgage and is instead a hard money loan?
What's the formula for how much rent should be based on purchase price?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What's the formula for how much rent should be based on purchase price?

You can know what your break-even price will be relative to what you paid, but that may or may not be the price you can actually rent at given the specifics of your local market. I know where I'm at I can rent a house at about 2/3 the cost of owning the same property.