Investing General Discussion

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
The more I dig into PLTR, the more I am beginning to think that Karp and Cohen are little more than figureheads and that Thiel is running the company. This may be why the Founder's voting shares are set up so oddly, to make sure Thiel can control the direction of the company.
The more I read about PLTR the more I think that:

A) Success for this company will inevitably lead to greater efficiencies in data usage from governments and corporations. This could EASILY be a bad thing for us as citizens. Its hard to tell at this point as it could just as easily save us from some terrible things.

B) This software fills a MASSIVE market gap and will almost certainly see success from PLTR or a competitor. Who else is competing here though?

Being funded by the CIA originally is a bit troubling, but doesn't have to be a bad thing. I find that I trust Thiel for some reason. Seems hard to argue against this type of ownership structure in the age of activist investors. We'll see I guess

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I know Blazin Blazin is in cash, I think Furry Furry went cash...

I think I should have last week, anyone else on the fence or about to swap out of the market for the election?

I have some cash, but it's a fairly low %, about 10-15, haven't looked since last week. I was planning to have a lot more, but I reversed course for the reasons I posted a week ago or so. To reiterate, I missed my chance to dodge with the markets going down for two weeks earlier than I thought, and I'm more optimistic about Trumps chances. A Biden win will be bad for stocks, a Trump win the opposite. At this point I'll just ride and see what happens. Was planning to stick cash into Palantir, now I'm not sure.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I think I should have last week, anyone else on the fence or about to swap out of the market for the election?
1601387364115.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm staying long in the indexes, from what I've been reading and seeing, even if Biden somehow eeks out a win, there's enough liquidity out there to keep the indexes going up, just not as much as they have been.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most analysis I've read, and its been sparse, is that a Biden win could cause short term losses but stocks always go BRRRRRRRR

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

I have been jumping in and out this month. Fair to say I'm currently cautious in opinion and in stance. I do want to add though that what I fear is not a particular candidate winning but disruption and chaos. I would not assume a blue sweep means market crash, the market will rightly assume that could mean 3-4trillion stimulus in Q1 vs increased regulation and the threat of taxes. Lots of ways for this to go down. A split government may cause a pullback if the market reads that as a dysfunctional govt not able to provide any further aid for the parts of the economy that still need it. I think it's safer to look at what sectors win/lose vs market crash no crash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have been jumping in and out this month. Fair to say I'm currently cautious in opinion and in stance. I do want to add though that what I fear is not a particular candidate winning but disruption and chaos. I would not assume a blue sweep means market crash, the market will rightly assume that could mean 3-4trillion stimulus in Q1 vs increased regulation and the threat of taxes. Lots of ways for this to go down. A split government may cause a pullback if the market reads that as a dysfunctional govt not able to provide any further aid for the parts of the economy that still need it. I think it's safer to look at what sectors win/lose vs market crash no crash.
The scenario to be concerned about is when we don't have a clear winner on November 4th. I would bet a clear win by either Trump or Biden results in a market jump.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This election going to SCOTUS, screams from every corner of election fraud, ballots found by the truckload in dumpsters, states putting up more than one slate of electors and assorted other garbage is the market's big concern and will cause it to puke up in reckless abandon. God forbid there is a legitimate concern of a non-peaceful transition of power. That will be an express elevator to the basement.

For more than one reason this country needs a landslide (red or blue) victory.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Originally it was going to be a 1 billion settlement but they pulled the orders and got it back at a lower price :p

JPMorgan settles spoofing probe for $920 mln -Bloomberg News
REUTERS 11:34 AM ET 9/29/2020
Sept 29 (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co(JPM) has admitted to wrongdoing and agreed to pay more than $920 million to resolve market manipulation investigations by U.S. authorities into its trading of metals futures and Treasury securities, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday, citing a statement from the regulator.

The statement would confirm reports by Reuters and other media last week that the U.S. bank was set to pay nearly $1 billion to resolve the market manipulation investigations.

The lender will pay the biggest monetary penalty ever imposed by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, including a $436.4 million fine, $311.7 million in restitution and more than $172 million in disgorgement, according to the Bloomberg report JPMorgan Pays $920 Million, Admits Misconduct Over Spoofing.

Spoofing is a practice in which traders place orders they intend to cancel to move prices to benefit their market positions. (Reporting by Abhishek Manikandan in Bengaluru; editing by Patrick Graham)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Originally it was going to be a 1 billion settlement but they pulled the orders and got it back at a lower price :p

JPMorgan settles spoofing probe for $920 mln -Bloomberg News
REUTERS 11:34 AM ET 9/29/2020
Sept 29 (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co(JPM) has admitted to wrongdoing and agreed to pay more than $920 million to resolve market manipulation investigations by U.S. authorities into its trading of metals futures and Treasury securities, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday, citing a statement from the regulator.

The statement would confirm reports by Reuters and other media last week that the U.S. bank was set to pay nearly $1 billion to resolve the market manipulation investigations.

The lender will pay the biggest monetary penalty ever imposed by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, including a $436.4 million fine, $311.7 million in restitution and more than $172 million in disgorgement, according to the Bloomberg report JPMorgan Pays $920 Million, Admits Misconduct Over Spoofing.

Spoofing is a practice in which traders place orders they intend to cancel to move prices to benefit their market positions. (Reporting by Abhishek Manikandan in Bengaluru; editing by Patrick Graham)

The question that comes up when these big fines hit are 1. How much did they make doing what they were fined for, and did it out weight the fine, and 2. For everything they get caught doing, god knows how many things they're doing that haven't been detected.

This shit will keep on happening until its no longer a game of "Make more than you get fined for" and these fuckers start going to jail.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The question that comes up when these big fines hit are 1. How much did they make doing what they were fined for, and did it out weight the fine, and 2. For everything they get caught doing, god knows how many things they're doing that haven't been detected.

This shit will keep on happening until its no longer a game of "Make more than you get fined for" and these fuckers start going to jail.
I saw an unconfirmed report they made over 2 billion doing it. Crime pays.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR has moved from "pre-IPO" status to "add to watchlist" status. You should be able to start tracking it now for tomorrow.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Health insurance companies and real estate are my two areas of concern with the election. as BP says, big companies will be fine, they bribe all politicians. If the Dems sweep can can push through some big single payer health system, Health Insurance companies can get boned. If foreclosure/eviction moratoriums are continued into eternity, real estate can be boned. UNH is my one holding that I am weighing taking profit and selling completely because of risk.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If foreclosure/eviction moratoriums are continued into eternity, real estate can be boned
Id imagine thats going to happen regardless. Who wants to own rental property when the government can randomly decree tenets dont have to pay rent and you cant evict them?

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was under the impression that the eviction moratorium was only good as long as you are under your existing lease, meaning if your lease expires, your landlord can choose not to renew and you have to leave? People talk about this like people are going to live rent free in perpetuity. Laws are probably going to differ by state too... anyways don't want to derail just wanted to ask.

Source: my friend who "evicted" someone in July this way.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was under the impression that the eviction moratorium was only good as long as you are under your existing lease, meaning if your lease expires, your landlord can choose not to renew and you have to leave? People talk about this like people are going to live rent free in perpetuity. Laws are probably going to differ by state too... anyways don't want to derail just wanted to ask.

Source: my friend who "evicted" someone in July this way.
Different states handle this differently. Good luck evicting/foreclosing on someone in NY.

• 1Like