Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Does your work do matching? Just do the minimum for full matching and put it in aggressive and take the rest as pay then invest yourself. Best out of a bad situation.
i dont get to reduce my tax liability and put that money away tax free though

im thinking a better option might be just constantly borrowing against to shove into stock market and then paying the 401k loans back with market profits

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
i dont get to reduce my tax liability and put that money away tax free though

im thinking a better option might be just constantly borrowing against to shove into stock market and then paying the 401k loans back with market profits

I think you're limited to 50K max and your employer can deny it, so not a great option. Just choose a basic index fund in your plan and forget about it until your next employer, at which point roll it into an IRA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I might go back into cash a week or two after Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Thanksgiving is going to cause major outbreaks and March/April levels of shutdowns again in my estimation.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I dont understand how those shitty transamerica funds can be tracking that much off. For fucks sake the Russell 1k growth did 20% and their version did 5%? That is dogshit right there. The problem is 401k programs are assigned to HR people who understand zero about finance. I made sure in our 401k we had 1 good option and we got the Vanguard Admiral sp500 at an expense ratio of like 0.03 and then I "advised" every employee to choose it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think I might go back into cash a week or two after Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Thanksgiving is going to cause major outbreaks and March/April levels of shutdowns again in my estimation.
California is already shutdown and DeBlasio is closing NYC schools. How much worse you expecting. Someone asked a health person how California with its lockdowns is rising rapidly and Fl with no lockdowns is smooth sailing. They answer was "I cant explain it". Good times.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
California is already shutdown and DeBlasio is closing NYC schools. How much worse you expecting. Someone asked a health person how California with its lockdowns is rising rapidly and Fl with no lockdowns is smooth sailing. They answer was "I cant explain it". Good times.

As I said in your quote. I'm expecting March/April levels of shutdowns.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No way PLTR hits $35 by Dec 18th, right?

1606183288949.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Bought 3 IDEX calls for 1.45 for 2.50 strike today for Dec 18th.
Hoping it goes up to 5 or more at some point and will dump it for some quick gains.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
My US steel stock (x) is finally recuperating. Got in at 13ish. Rode it down to 6ish. It's been crazy ride. Leaving my order open at $29. Have a huge chunk of my portfolio in it (40%). Once I get out, I may use the profits to buy something income producing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My US steel stock (x) is finally recuperating. Got in at 13ish. Rode it down to 6ish. It's been crazy ride. Leaving my order open at $29. Have a huge chunk of my portfolio in it (40%). Once I get out, I may use the profits to buy something income producing.
Depending on how many shares you have, have you considered selling covered calls to generate some income while you wait?

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
PLTR just cracked $24.

Its so very heady, I've posted what my positions were in this stock awhile back and my vow to keep it all until at least it becomes long term capital gains eligible. And to think my strategy was to mimic Saruman.

Watch is crash now that i've gloated.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

I got in around 9...

Today feels like a good day to sell

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Put some cash to work today.
Wrote puts for PSTH 1/15 Expiry $22.50 strike at 95 cents. Either they find a merger partner by then and the stock runs up or I can take the shares at $21.55 which is just above the floor price.
Wrote puts on TRIT 12/18 expiry $10 strike at 27 cents. I also have an order to sell covered calls to set up the strangle.
Wrote puts on VLDR 12/18 expiry $15 strike at 95 cents. VLDR and GMHI are the two major LIDAR developers.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So Arayasar's question got me thinking. My employers plan does indeed have a option for a self directed account for our 401k plan. So WHY am I doing all this trading, creating taxable events, in my personal account and just letting a S&P index sit in my 401k??? Seems like I should switch them and do my active trading in a self directed 401k account and keep my buy and hold long term stuff in the non-retirement account.

Kind of kicking myself, thinking of the taxes I could of saved doing that just this year. Live and learn.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So Arayasar's question got me thinking. My employers plan does indeed have a option for a self directed account for our 401k plan. So WHY am I doing all this trading, creating taxable events, in my personal account and just letting a S&P index sit in my 401k??? Seems like I should switch them and do my active trading in a self directed 401k account and keep my buy and hold long term stuff in the non-retirement account.

Kind of kicking myself, thinking of the taxes I could of saved doing that just this year. Live and learn.
Things to find out include are there limits to the number of trades you can make in the self-directed account. I do almost all my trades in my IRA for tax purposes. I know its got a trade limit but I haven't hit it yet so I'll keep doing it until I hit it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Some self directed stuff can get crazy. Like buy rental houses and and use the monthly rent as your payment to the 401k against the borrowed balance kind of crazy.

• 2Like