Investing General Discussion

Khane

Got something right about marriage
In the USA it's more like, get appproved for X, found something for 1.25 X that's the "perfect dream home", either just be given the financing anyway or be told about this wonderful, and totally not shady thing called an 80/20 mortgage.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I recommend a house in the range of 40-50% of the loan you get approved for.

That said I put about 50% of my income toward retirement, so my financial advise is difficult for most people to follow. Either way, Lie to your women and fake a lower amount than you can really get if boobs are pushing you to a house. Getting near 100% of your loan amount is not easy for most people to work out.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Screenshot_20200107-200420_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Really feeling good about my decision to throw 5% of my portfolio into XAR a few months ago...

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been sitting on oil stocks since Iran attacked the refinery this summer, still waiting for the breakout...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not really sure where else to put this but since we were talking about tax avoidance strategies earlier....

Do any of you have experience with taking money out of an HSA through the backdoor method? At this point I have a fairly absurd sum in my HSA. I am no Vinen or anything but like a lot of things diligently putting money into it for tax avoidance purposes and never using it has added up over a decade or so. I understand that I may need it in the future and I have no desire to drain it or anything.

But I feel that, if I needed to, I might want to dip into it at some point for non-medical purposes.

Have any of you done that? I know its possible I just have never met anyone who has used it in such a way.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
There is no real trick to it other than lying, if you start just taking consistent small amounts reality is you’ll almost certainly get away with it. If you get caught and lack the receipts you’ll pay the price for it. Really an issue of your own conscience and your tolerance for risk not sure how anyone here can help you.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What Blazin said. Even though you mention it, I will reinforce that one of, if not the largest, expense you will have in retirement will be medical costs. The price of getting old.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Not really sure where else to put this but since we were talking about tax avoidance strategies earlier....

Do any of you have experience with taking money out of an HSA through the backdoor method? At this point I have a fairly absurd sum in my HSA. I am no Vinen or anything but like a lot of things diligently putting money into it for tax avoidance purposes and never using it has added up over a decade or so. I understand that I may need it in the future and I have no desire to drain it or anything.

But I feel that, if I needed to, I might want to dip into it at some point for non-medical purposes.

Have any of you done that? I know its possible I just have never met anyone who has used it in such a way.

I'm not aware of a backdoor HSA withdrawal method.

I do know that you can withdraw from your HSA for any medical expense in any year. So lets say you are doing well this year, and you end up with $5000 in medical bills for 2020, you can save those receipts and in 2025 withdraw the $5000 if you wanted to spend it on something else, since you would be simply reimbursing yourself. As long as you had the plan active during the time the expense occurred you could reimburse yourself at any time.

But honestly, how on earth can they keep track with hundreds of millions of people having HSAs in america making small withdrawals?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Set contributions to zero and slowly use it?

Edit. Is there not a Max rollover?

Last edited:

Khane

I'm not aware of a backdoor HSA withdrawal method.

I do know that you can withdraw from your HSA for any medical expense in any year. So lets say you are doing well this year, and you end up with $5000 in medical bills for 2020, you can save those receipts and in 2025 withdraw the $5000 if you wanted to spend it on something else, since you would be simply reimbursing yourself. As long as you had the plan active during the time the expense occurred you could reimburse yourself at any time.

But honestly, how on earth can they keep track with hundreds of millions of people having HSAs in america making small withdrawals?

This is the one area of "healthcare" that isn't 20 years behind current tech. Most people have stored value (debit) cards they get issued with an HSA, and most people are going to use that card when they want to spend against any healthcare related items. This leaves an obvious electronic trail that is very easy to substantiate. If you spend cash and then try to reimburse yourself the mere fact that there is no electronic audit trail means you are immediately going to get sent to letter generation and be mailed a notice to submit receipts.

If you want to try to game the system there are ways but you need to be prepared for whatever non-healthcare related withdrawals you make to not fall through the cracks. Because, in all honesty, they probably won't.

This is actually what I do for a living. Years ago it used to be stupidly easy to game the system. You could walk into what was known as a "90% merchant" (like Walgreens) and buy anything in the store with your HSA issued debit card and not get questioned about it. Walgreens conveniently sells gift cards, and merchant specific gift cards (like Best Buy) don't have a fee associated with them. So you could dump a bunch of money into an HSA and then do all your Christmas shopping tax free using gift cards. These loopholes were quickly closed. There are still ways to get around it but they all carry risk (well, if you consider just having to actually pay the tax on the money a "risk") and quite honestly the gains are so small since these accounts don't offer great interest rates that... it's not even worth it.

Just leave the money in the HSA for inevitable healthcare spending, especially in old age.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If you spend cash and then try to reimburse yourself the mere fact that there is no electronic audit trail means you are immediately going to get sent to letter generation and be mailed a notice to submit receipts.

I've spent many thousands out of my HSA (eight orthopedic surgeries). I've never used the debit card once and self-reimburse on an annual basis. I just bundle everything and send myself a check for "2019 medical expenses". I've never once been asked for verification of any kind. This is across 10 years and at least three different major insurers/plan managers.

Outside of years where paying all my medical expenses from taxable income would be inconvenient, my general approach is to contribute the max and let it sit. Given that you're almost guaranteed to spend the money eventually it's basically an extra IRA without income limits.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Did you write a check against the account? Because there's still that verifiable, easily substantiated audit trail. I did specifically talk about cash transactions.

If these are actual medical procedures why wouldn't you just use the card or ACH transactions?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Did you write a check against the account? Because there's still that verifiable, easily substantiated audit trail.

No, I used my general checking account or credit cards and reimbursed myself.

If these are actual medical procedures why wouldn't you just use the card or ACH transactions?

I wanted the credit card rewards, prefer to centralize my financial activity to facilitate easy record-keeping and reconciliation, and I can't be bothered to carry around another card I barely use.

• 1Like

Khane

Credit card points are worthwhile but what I would say is happening is your insurance company is substantiating your HSA spend against your actual insurance claims. Keep in mind these are banks, insurance companies and credit card processors validating these transactions and they all spend a ton of money on fraud prevention. I work for one of the biggest stored value card providers for healthcare spending (WEX Health) and I can tell you we gather and compare data from all three to facilitate automated substantiation, since we are essentially the clearing house. That is the service we provide.

Things definitely fall through the cracks, its inevitable, but actual healthcare spend is pretty easy to substantiate when all three players are trading data and validating balances. It's when you are trying to work outside those parameters that you generally get to letter generation and it is really hard to pull one over on any of those types of businesses, let alone 3.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have an HSA and I've been very liberal in its use. It's all for medical costs, but some of it might not be? There's no real clear definition that I can find on what it can or cannot be used for.

For example, we use it at drug stores for medicine (Perscription and OTC), eye exam costs, any medical costs at urgent care/hospitals, my physician administered diet (food), dental work, etc.

If I'm doing it wrong, whoops. But I am not sure where the list is on things you can and cannot. I've just been told "Medical expenses".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users