Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Apple got within 5% of being worth $2t.

Obscene.
What I find funny is a week ago it was "I cant believe AAPL is pushing $400 a share". After the 4:1 announcement its "Buy, Buy, Buy at $450 a share"

Wait for the split and at a pre-announcement price of 380 it should value at about $95 a share. Anything above that is just FOMO.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is MSFT the only company that fucks up everything except its stock price?
They created Excel. That gives them a pass for pretty much everything else they ever do. The AI overlords won't evolve from some robot. They will achieve sentience from some form of Excel.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kodak -33% today. Those poor bag holders.
I read an article the CEO got awarded a fuckton of stock options the day before the announcement. I'm sure it was just "coincidence". I dont know if he was able to exercise them or not.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
ORCL? Worst products ever made, ever, in the history of ever, stock price keeps going up?

We have a single server install of Oracle EBS used by ten people in accounting. Quote to upgrade *just* the database tier is 20K, app tier 50K, and if we just wanted the service side java updated so I didn't have to run some four year old compromised JRE on clients that I have to block updates on? Another 10K. Or we can move to their new cloud version which will have a 90K migration fee, and replace our current 15K a year on prem maintenance cost with an annual 48K subscription cost.

Oh, and it still doesn't support SAML or even AD authentication without spending like 20K on some Oracle identity platform, so it's like literally the only enterprise app left on my network that has its own authentication store, while everything else is SSO'd through Azure CA.

By far Oracle is the worst company to have to deal with, though AT&T jockies for first place, and Crestron takes a distant third.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I read an article the CEO got awarded a fuckton of stock options the day before the announcement. I'm sure it was just "coincidence". I dont know if he was able to exercise them or not.

I’m pretty sure we’d be reading articles about him being in prison today if he did that?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Kodak -33% today. Those poor bag holders.

Robinhood users are mostly long kodk it seems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We have a single server install of Oracle EBS used by ten people in accounting. Quote to upgrade *just* the database tier is 20K, app tier 50K, and if we just wanted the service side java updated so I didn't have to run some four year old compromised JRE on clients that I have to block updates on? Another 10K. Or we can move to their new cloud version which will have a 90K migration fee, and replace our current 15K a year on prem maintenance cost with an annual 48K subscription cost.

Oh, and it still doesn't support SAML or even AD authentication without spending like 20K on some Oracle identity platform, so it's like literally the only enterprise app left on my network that has its own authentication store, while everything else is SSO'd through Azure CA.

By far Oracle is the worst company to have to deal with, though AT&T jockies for first place, and Crestron takes a distant third.

It will never cease to amaze me how much of the world operates on Oracle products despite all of their products being absolute nightmares to work with. Every single one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Great sales reps and brand recognition coupled with it being even harder to get off their products than it is to throw more money at them to maintain the status quo.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I dunno about the sales or brand recognition part, but once you’re stupid enough to put your data in Oracle, it’s basically pay to get in, pay and pray to get out. Migrating your corporate accounting or CRM system is no small task. Like we get raped annually by Salesforce too, but we keep taking it up the ass because migration looks too painful. Only difference is that salesforce actually works well, while Oracle Software is a total piece of shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We moved our CMMS DB from Oracle to DB2. It was such a pita. Translating thousands of queries from one sql language to the other. I don’t know that getting off of Oracle itself was the headache or just because the language was different, I didn’t deal with the DBA portion of the move, just the UI/query/report portion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We moved our CMMS DB from Oracle to DB2. It was such a pita. Translating thousands of queries from one sql language to the other. I don’t know that getting off of Oracle itself was the headache or just because the language was different, I didn’t deal with the DBA portion of the move, just the UI/query/report portion.

The new enterprise database products out there (like my bae Snowflake) are unparalleled compared to the ancient Oracle shit. I migrated hundreds of billions of rows of data from our old DB into my snowflake warehouse. Alone. This is why I am putting a big amount of coin into Snowflake when it IPOs.

Imagine doing that from Oracle to Teradata. That project at GM took huge teams of engineers and expensive convoluted ETL products to accomplish. Even then it took like two years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user