Mobile Game Hunter
Title: The Alchemist Code
Platform: IOS / Android
Genre: JRPG / Tactics RPG

Developer: GUMI
Global Release: 11/14/2017

Official Website

First Impressions:
If you enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics you will most likely enjoy this mobile game, although the anime style may be off-putting for some. This is a story heavy game.

This is a Gacha based unit system with the standard elemental wheel of vulnerability. Units range from 3 to 5 stars and can potentially have 3 different possible jobs to unlock along with multiple skills that can be customized to a lesser extent. Unit levels are limited by account level so you can't immediately buy your way to the top. This game is Re-Roll friendly if you're into that for a good initial pull.

Maps are large, tile based, and have multiple levels of height and obstacles. Your team consists of 4 active members and 1 mercenary / friend unit, but you can have 2 units on standby in case one of your primary team member perishes. All units will receive exp at the end of the battle. There is an auto mode and 2x speed which is fairly intelligent. Additionally there are skip tickets which allow you to mass run an already completed area.

PVP is 3v3 full auto - so nothing exciting here. Thankfully there is a skip button which auto resolves the fight without having to watch things the whole time.

Multiplayer - Friend list is present and there is a surprising multiplayer feature that lets you co-op various dungeons with 3 other members. I'm excited to try this with my FOH bros.

Cons:
New unit pulls use a staged summon approach common in GUMI games.
Most fights need to be visualized
Anime style isn't for everyone

Aevry Rating
Graphics: 8/10
Gameplay: 9/10 (I love SRPG's)
Audio: 7/10
Longevity: Content is difficult and frequent events / story releases. Similar to FFBE.

Resources
Tier List (take with a grain of salt)
Reddit

Gameplay video

Chris

Potato del Grande
Loaded it up and it just looks ridiculously complicated in a bad way. Trying to find out which characters are good for rerolling and it's a cluster fuck of abilities and jobs.

I think in general, if the gatcha is for characters don't touch it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
it's maybe initially daunting, but if you enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre games it's the closest thing on mobile. We are really enjoying it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You might want to post a short newbie guide about what characters to aim for.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
I'm still pretty new to be honest. Ranged units seem to have an easier time than straight melee. I'm not a huge fan of the mages because of their cast time and potential to friendly fire. The tier list link posted above is decent for gauging. Any 5* capable unit is a keeper except for the initial non-protagonist units they give you.

From what I read Chloe / Anastasia are great pulls. I'm personally in love with Reagan who can job class into a sniper. She's melting faces across the whole map currently.

Also the Multiplay feature is fun with a couple of buddies! Especially with the friendly fire.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just bailed on alliance heroes of the spire.

Will try this out. Is there a guild system? Or does the friends list serve that function?

• 1Solidarity

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
No guilds at this time. Friend list is all you need although the multiplay function could use an invite system instead of a key code. Our normal line group still applies!

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Loaded it up and it just looks ridiculously complicated in a bad way. Trying to find out which characters are good for rerolling and it's a cluster fuck of abilities and jobs.

I think in general, if the gatcha is for characters don't touch it.

Yeah I played for an hour and just gave up.

Gameplay is good but they implemented way too much crap to "monetize" it. On a mobile game, systems do not need to be complex.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok gave this another go and got 5* dark knight and paladin with 4* dancer and spear on my free 500gem pull.

Let's count the game systems you need to farm.
1) Character gatcha to get the characters.
2) Character levels which is limited by the account level.
3) Character star rating which unlocks higher level caps and extra jobs which needs additional characters from the gatcha though a few are farmable in missions.
4) Job levels which needs equipment drops.
5) Skill levels which needs money to unlock the job abilities.
6) Gear which is a second set of equipment and cones from the gatcha.

It's not nessesarily the number of them but each one needing you to farm several not always intuitive things before you can use it.

I will continue to test this!

Healthfood

Golden Squire
Is this another Aevry game? :p I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes. How p2win is it? I see a lot of gacha involved :|... but if there's Co-Op Tactics PvE then it's piqued my interest

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
Is this another Aevry game? :p I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes. How p2win is it? I see a lot of gacha involved :|... but if there's Co-Op Tactics PvE then it's piqued my interest

The game is very F2P friendly. There are some whale units you can chase but overall most of the characters are usable! They throw energy at you constantly and it's very difficult to run out.

I just hit level 50+ account level and here are a few tips:

Units:
1. Make sure to level up and skill up your two protagonists. They are required on story missions and it appears that they get focus fired much of the time. Logi is one of the higher rated units even in JP version. Dias slightly less so.

2. Long-press on the character's skills to see what unlocks at which level so you can plan your gold (Zeni) use

3. Secondary class skills and passives can be utilized when changing jobs on a character. This lets you customize characters a bit more for your playstyle. For instance, my Sniper has secondary skills as a Professor (Healing and status cleansing)

4. Job levels are easy to farm up until level 9/10 and most of the items you'll get passively by clearing the story.

5. Don't enhance your job gear until you hit 11/11 on the job rank

6. Limit break your units - there is no need to wait until max leveling / evolving. This can be done by getting shards from the various gacha's or the various shopkeepers.

7. You can skip visualizing PVP under the options menu on the top right during a match

8. Special / Evolve dungeons are on a rotation, HOWEVER - if you utilize Multiplay function they can be ran off cycle and repeatedly. Evolving characters is VERY easy!

9. Don't worry about the gear slots too much, but definitely toss 300 gems into the stage 1 pull of the gear Gacha if you can (this is more end game farming).

10. Don't max skill Professor's main ability tree - it unlocks Vaccine, which the current auto battle AI likes to spam for no reason.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks they were good tips. Just hit lv35 and finished the 3 step summon, got the 2nd job for Anastasia and Chole. Got 900 gems from the beginners packs but could have done it F2P if I was patient and waited 1-2 days. Figured I was getting enough fun out of it to pay for the game.

It's unusual that Star Rating is just related to character level cap and it's easy to raise a unit to 4* (I assume that 5* isnt bad either). Usually it's tied to stats and abilities and a pain to upgrade.

Most of the many game systems appear to be farmable so that's good. The tough one is character shards to unlock the extra jobs.

Story is weird, sometimes I like it (seperate chapters for Ramza and Sasuke unlocking their powers) and sometimes it's repetitive nonsense (Paladin guy telling Sasuke not to kill random people about 20 times).

Last edited:

Healthfood

Golden Squire
Ok quite liking the game, just hit 45 and after some time autoing gets risky as you guys mentioned the main character likes to charge head first and die.

There doesn’t seem to be any guild function - am I missing something? Was quite daunting at first since you get like a gazillion stamina all at once, but after getting used to things it’s been pretty good.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah autoing is pretty bad in story mode, I've kept my characters at max character and job level ive pretty much never been able to auto .

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
Once I got a sniper job class unlocked I was able to auto because the sniper one shots everything from across the map before the protagonist can get there!

There are no guilds at this moment, just friend lists. My name is Aevry in game if anyone wants to add me. Current downside of the game is that it's easy to bust through all the current content - they haven't released any challenge mode areas yet (Like a tower, etc). The game is great, but it will really hinge on how fast they put out content.

Healthfood

Golden Squire
Added you Aevry.

Yea I've kinda hit a wall... not enough stamina to farm for those expensive 20-piece or 50 piece items to job level up and always short on Zeni. That Mienne shard event is pretty nasty, doing Multiplayer Advance is most likely a fail with the pugs, and even on single player I tend to fail a lot more often than not.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Finished up episode 4. Sad no more rewards in episode 5. Got 4 units to 5 star. Now I need to work on job levels and gear I guess?

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
yeah, start maxing out job levels and farming up shards of stuff. The newest event guy is getting a 3rd job released soon? I think, so he may end up being a decent unit since you can max him.

Chris

Potato del Grande
yeah, start maxing out job levels and farming up shards of stuff. The newest event guy is getting a 3rd job released soon? I think, so he may end up being a decent unit since you can max him.
At 56 now, player exp has dried up. Whats the best way to level up? Just wait for new daily quests?

Rank 4000 in PvP, using Caris (marksman), Magnus (marksman) and Anastasia (crafter) for a ranged team.