Is Christopher Nolan the most overrated director of all time?

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i loved the prestige and memento but i thought his other movies were dull and unfocused, especially inception. machine guns in a dream? was that seriously the best he could do?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Great director but not the greatest.

I don't think he is overrated

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
His Batman movies are definitely overrated. Especially Dark Knight Rises.

spronk

FPS noob
Momento was awesome, I loved Inception and The Dark Knight (Begins was good, TDKR was very meh). He wrote the new Superman, trailers look pretty good but who knows. Jury is still out, he hasn't released a total shit movie but he needs 3-4 more really great movies under his belt to reach Tarantino/Scorcese/etc levels of worship.

I don't know about overrated, but he is definitely in the pool of writers/directors that I trust to make good movies and that pool is very small. I'm drawing a blank actually thinking of someone else who I'd trust to make a movie I like sight unseen - maybe the Superbad crew, Wes Anderson, Guillermo Del Toro, not sure who else. Wachowskis are out after Cloud Atlas, Ridley Scott is out after Prometheus.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Most overrated, of course not. He at least has had a few decent movies on his resume. I still enjoy Memento and The Prestige. The Dark Knight needed more editing and it appeared to run on forever, despite the capable acting, and it wasn't an entire bore/flop. As long as Uwe Boll keeps directing movies, I am very unconcerned regarding overrated directors in comparison to poor directors that are conspicuously allowed to still make movies.

welp people jizzed themselves over Inception and to me it was meh. Ledger made that batman flick epic, dunno how much cred should go to the director.

bet Nolan has knees you could shave with.

Szlia

Was it back on FoH or on the short lived thing between FoH and RR? Anyway someone posted a list of the 'best directors' and JJ Abrams was in the top 10 or something. Now THAT was overrated.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I wouldn't say overrated, but I would definitely say "overhyped" by some studios and cliques.

He has a decent track record so far, hopefully he keeps it up.

Caliane

If Nolan isn't... then who is/was?
I'm inclined to say yeah he is. Sure he has some good movies. Most of which are pretty flawed, leaving them at just good or above average. There is credit due. But, hes getting way more then credit.

Cameron and Spielberg are probably the only other two that I can think of that really have gotten this kind of adulation. and at the time, both deserved it. Yeah, Titanic and Avatar are kindof meh. I suppose in some circles both are the very definition of overrated as well. Most movie aficionados see Titanic for what it was. Ask a fan though... Same with Avatar. ask any critic, you'll get a straight answer, ask the news media... General perception of those two films is not really shared with reality. Spielberg hasn't made a really good movie in years imho. But his early work earned him the respect hes gotten.

the idiotic hype for M.Night S based off 1 movie, isnt really the same as overrated. Pretty sure everyone saw he was shit by the third movie.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My weaponized subconscious will kick your subconscious's ass for suggesting such a thing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Memento was awesome and Inception is probably in my top 3 movies ever. I'm not a comic reader so the Batman movies weren't something I was really excited by, but I enjoyed the first one by Nolan. The second was kind of a mess and I haven't even seen the third. Removing the Batman flicks, he's damn awesome. Including them, he's decent.