is there such thing as an air conditioner that doesn't need to vent?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you don't have a window you can get standalone ones that sit in the middle of a room, but they still have to vent the air outside via a big air hose.

Otherwise, no, it's impossible, see: first law of thermodynamics.

spronk

FPS noob
build a mr freeze suit then you won't need an AC

mrfreeze.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
you should get a portable swamp cooler, they work pretty well. They just add a lot of moisture to the air.
Yep. A lot of people in desert areas have one. My grandma lives in Vegas and uses it. I don't think the humidity in Portland is low enough to use it effectively though.

So you're tellin me that people spend money to ADD humidity to the air?
If you live in a humid area sure, but swamp coolers only work in those types of places. In high humidity they dont work worth a damn , and they also do not work in extreme temperature area 95-100+ etc.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is as close as you're going to get:

Amazon.com - SPT SF-609 Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer - Portable Air Conditioners

Or, get one of these bad boys, and find some way to put the hose out a window or door, or even just a door to the next room if you have only one room you're wanting to cool:

Amazon.com - Soleus Air KY-80 Portable Air Conditioner/Dehumidifier/Fan/ with Remote Control - Portable Air Conditioner No Vent

I know someone who has one of these, and he cut out the bottom corner of his bedroom door for the exhaust hose. His bedroom is perfect and cool for sleeping, and he doesn't spend time in his house much other than sleeping. Works for him.

BeachParty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here is another ventless air conditioner:

rrr_img_67032.jpg

With one of these installed in the center of your room you only need a way to move air over it. I highly recommend one of these:

rrr_img_67033.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is A/C even necessary in Portland? Are you on a US tour or something, Keg? You've been all over the place lately.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you live in a humid area sure, but swamp coolers only work in those types of places. In high humidity they dont work worth a damn , and they also do not work in extreme temperature area 95-100+ etc.
I've been in the desert for about 2 years now. Swamp coolers are fucking awesome. It uses almost no electricity (it's basically just a giant fan on the roof) and maybe a few gallons of water a day. It's cheap as fuck, overall. It was 100 yesterday and my house was about 72-73. I guess that's my only complaint about a swamp cooler is that it's incredibly hard to control the temperature.

Which kind of brings me to why I quoted this one. It's not true that it doesn't work in extreme temperatures. The problem is that it can only bring the temperature down so far (usually 20-30 degrees at the most). When we had a heat wave in the upper 110's last year, it could only get it down to the mid to upper 80's. That's shitty. But then, when it's 118 outside, 88 feels decent. During that heat wave we basically used the swamp cooler during the day so the house wasn't on fire when we got home, and AC around 7 or 8pm until the morning.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Don't think of it like a humidifier. It only works in dry climates, but it uses the principle of latent heat of vaporization. It takes energy for liquid water to vaporize, and it uses the enthalpic energy in the air to do that. The end result is that the air is more humid and lower temperature.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, because right now the outside humidity is 6%. Inside with the swamp cooler running it's 65% and 20 degrees cooler. The furniture, the doors, my skin, my instruments, etc are all happier.