It Comes at Night (2017)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: It Comes at Night

Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Horror

Director: Trey Edward Shults

Cast: Joel Edgerton, Christopher Abbott, Carmen Ejogo, Kelvin Harrison, Riley Keough, Griffin Robert Faulkner, David Pendleton, Chase Joliet, Mick O'Rourke, Mikey

Release: 2017-06-09

Plot: A father will stop at nothing to protect his wife and son from a malevolent, mysterious presence terrorizing them right outside their doorstep.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks awesome. These days, in Joel Edgerton I trust.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Added it to my watch for list. Hoping for magic/other dimension/thulu stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like a 100% solid maybe for me. Going to need some impressions first.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Sorta related I saw Hidden last year and it was pretty good. It's about a family living in a bomb shelter, shit's gone cray-cray, there's some twists and turns, etc. It's pretty good.

So until this comes out you can watch something maybe similar?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saw this in the theater. It was really, really good. The movie had my attention the entire time. 90ish minutes flew by.

If you go into this thinking it's a "defend the house from the zombies," movie you aren't going to like it.

This movie is like classical music. If you don't know what you're listening to, or what you are watching then you won't enjoy it. This movie will do better with an audience that is more well versed in cinematic themes/motifs than one that goes to the theater to watch robots punch each other.

There are some heavy themes in this film, and if you pick up on them it is a really enjoyable experience.

If you liked The VVitch you will like It Comes at Night.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can spoiler it but I have to know if the dog is OK or not, because I am a pussy about like that 1 thing. Also, I need to see VVitch still.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
This movie is like classical music. If you don't know what you're listening to, or what you are watching then you won't enjoy it. This movie will do better with an audience that is more well versed in cinematic themes/motifs than one that goes to the theater to watch robots punch each other.

This reads like "Art school faggots will love this. People who actually enjoy watching movies will not."

I mean I could be wrong, but that is exactly how that is interpreted by non-art school kids.

Don't get me wrong, it might be a really enjoyable movie. But those are major warning signs to people who actually enjoy movies vs. those who see them as academic endeavors.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This reads like "Art school faggots will love this. People who actually enjoy watching movies will not."

I mean I could be wrong, but that is exactly how that is interpreted by non-art school kids.

Dunno, didn't go to art school.

I imagine they do enjoy movies though.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey you may not have gone to art school, but that doesn't make the statement any less art-school faggy. It would be identical to my going "this culinary creation is amazing, if you have culinary training and understand the nuances of it. People who eat food may not like it, though."

Comes off super pretentious and more than a little douchey. Not your fault; you're just calling it how you see it. But man, comparing it to classical music and then saying that normal movie goers won't like it -because- they don't know the ins and outs of film making comes off as super douchey. It's like a built in "if you don't like this, then you don't understand film" faggot argument.

We only need Szila to weigh on and discuss the merits of Swiss Film Making vs. Kurosawa Era japanese film making trying to describe the movie in order to understand exactly who this was written/filmed for: People who don't enjoy movies.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Saw this yesterday afternoon, and while it's a good movie, it's definitely not what I was expecting.

All the scenes in the trailer with the black goo, or black-eyed zombie people, are red herrings to make you think there's some supernatural element to the film. Spoiler:

There is nothing of the sort, just creepy dream sequences.

The movie did do a great job with it's setting, and making you feel islolated and claustrophobic. The characters were sympathetic and believable, but in the end, I just wanted something more out of the whole thing. Maybe, after a second watching one day, I'll feel differently.

Anyways, it's worth a watch if you enjoy a slow-burn flick.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Comes off super pretentious and more than a little douchey. Not your fault; you're just calling it how you see it. But man, comparing it to classical music and then saying that normal movie goers won't like it -because- they don't know the ins and outs of film making comes off as super douchey. It's like a built in "if you don't like this, then you don't understand film" faggot argument.

No other way to describe it. I figured I would save someone some time by telling them how it is.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

Don't get me wrong, it might be a really enjoyable movie. But those are major warning signs to people who actually enjoy movies vs. those who see them as academic endeavors.

I see why he phrased it that way, and its a pretty good description, if only because every trailer I have seen for this move is misleading as fuck. I hadn't seen any before I saw the movie and was better for it. The marketing of this movie leans heavily into monster territory. However, the movie is much like the Witch, where the primary source of "horror" is the tension and sense of unease the movie puts into you as you give yourself to the movie. The director goes so far as to change the aspect ratio of the movie throughout to make things seems disjointed or smaller than they are.

If you like seeing a movie as an academic endeavor, this is fantastic. But also if you want to see an Indie Horror movie that isn't so much "scary" as it is "tense, dreadful, foreboding, whatever word you want to use other than jump scares", it's a well shot, well acted story that doesnt over stay its welcome (the movie is only a little over 90 minutes)

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, in retrospect I was ascribing a bit more douchiness than was intended to the critique, and I had a couple of rum and cokes in me at the time. If it's an accurate description, then hey, it's accurate.

It's just the type of phrasing that rustles my jimmies, very much akin to my referenced culinary snob commentary. Saying it's great but only people "in the know" will get its greatness is an immediate red flag, imo. It ascribes knowledge to everyone who likes it and ignorance to everyone who does not. Just a personal pet peeve from dealing with actual art school students and culinary asshats for the better part of 20 years. It comes off as incredibly pretentious, even if it is absolutely dead on. Which is probably why it sounds pretentious in this case. So yeah, itchy trigger finger on the rustling there.

My apologies for the mini-rant, Campbell~

• 2Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
giphy.gif

Rezz Rezz no worries my man

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database