Poll January Retro Game of the Month - VOTE now!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What game should be play for Jan RGOTM?

• Toe Jam & Earl - Genesis

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Sword of Hope - Gameboy

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Phantasy Star 1 - Master System

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Super Mario Land 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Bonk's Adventure - TurboCrapix16

• Wario Land - VirtualBoy

• Plok - SNES

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Donkey Kong Country - SNES

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Metal Gear - NES

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siliconemelons

We got 5 days!

I was going to put the batman game and my suggestion of snes starwars...but then I thought - maybe one month we can do "movie" games...so let's save them for later

Most of this month is focused on platformers, however we have PhantasyStar1 in the mix

2 votes each, if it's close we may have a run off

Let's go!!! Yeehaw

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Get those DKC votes in! Just listen to this nostalgia.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just gonna copy and paste my other posts for the two i nominated

Yoshi's_Island_(Super_Mario_World_2)_box_art.jpg
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Not too obscure (which killed some old RGotMs) but just off the beaten path enough that many here may not have played it.

It's a wonderful game, some argue that it's the greatest platformer of all time. Not that I would go that far, but some people do say it!

plok.jpg

this is another really good SNES platformer, more obscure. Shigeru Miyamoto really liked it in it's early development stages, and he almost signed himself on to the project. however, around that time was when SMW2: Yoshi's Island entered development. he decided they were too similar and figured he should just work on the Mario franchise game instead.

the only thing that bites about Plok is there are no saves. gotta do the whole thing in one run! so it ends up frustrating when you're first learning it, but once you get the hang of it, it's really great and uniquely fun.

nice writeup / screenshots: Plok! – Hardcore Gaming 101

the one thing that bites about Plok there^ is fixed in an emulator, obviously, with save states. in total it's only a few hours long anyway, so even playing it in one sitting isn't too bad (as long as you don't die too much!)

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
box art for the others, because i'm feeling ambitious:

toejam and earl.png
sword of hope.jpg
phantasy star.png
bonk's adventure.jpg
wario land.png
metal gear.jpg

also, lol @ the poll choice being "Dinky Kong Country." Xadion, is that a common enough word for you that your auto-correct did that? :D :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Umm, yes... I am an urologist, or something.

Let me see if I can fix that...

Edit: nope - Amod Amod can you fix Donky Kong on the vote? Thanks lol

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Umm, yes... I am an urologist, or something.

Let me see if I can fix that...

Edit: nope - Amod Amod can you fix Donky Kong on the vote? Thanks lol

Done

lightningfastvcrrepair.jpg

EDIT: lol, same time post. Might need to get Zy a lightning fast theme going

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Voted for donkey Kong but neglected to select a second choice. Would have been bonks, love that game on my tbg16.

*edit* spelling

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Voted for donkey Kong but neglected to select a second choice. Would have been bonks, love that game on my tbg16.

*edit* spelling

no worries i'm sure. if anyone accidentally votes for just one, just post here and we can manually do the math to honor the second vote.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if we're fixing stuff in the poll, then also note that it's supposed to be "Bonk's" Adventure, not "Book's" Adventure. i just didn't mention that one because it didn't make me giggle like "Dinky Kong" did.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

if we're fixing stuff in the poll, then also note that it's supposed to be "Bonk's" Adventure, not "Book's" Adventure. i just didn't mention that one because it didn't make me giggle like "Dinky Kong" did.

Amod Amod

Sorry, I need to stop doing this on my phone :)

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
I had a genesis because two buddies already had a snes. Gotta go with earthworm jim. The first sonic was fun, too.

Siliconemelons

DKC rolling in... argh, I do not like that game for some reason.

But if it the will of "the people" we shall oblige ;)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Will anyone go for the triple crown and attempt to do all three DKC games in the month of January?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Note: I did not like DKC because like most things, it was my OCD brother playing it and he HAD to get 100% banannas or whatever the heck it was on every damn level and he would sit there for hours replaying and replaying a level...me as a kid was like WTFBBQ move on! we have crocs to slay!

• 1Like