The Problem With Jon Stewart

Eonan

Doer of Things
Writing is shit, anyone who was worth a damn has either followed John Oliver over to HBO or moved on. Watched the first two episodes and never looked back.

spronk

FPS noob
i guess his HBO deal never happened, Jon Stewart is returning to TV/streaming via Apple. sounds similar to John Oliver's show or the various shows that Netflix cancelled

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
i guess his HBO deal never happened, Jon Stewart is returning to TV/streaming via Apple. sounds similar to John Oliver's show or the various shows that Netflix cancelled
Oh maybe I'll have something else to watch on Apple TV+ beside "The Long Way Up" with Ewan McGregor.

spronk

FPS noob
his new show is premiering in a month on Apple TV+

pretty sure it'll be awful, nothing to do with his politics i just think he's gonna be way too out of touch to talk about interesting shit

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
We shall see. It may take some time for him to get his "legs" back so to speak.

I will give it a shot.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Will watch a few eps. He is a smart comedian, so it may not be pure woke bullshit like current Daily Show, Tonight Show (Colbert), and Last Week Tonight are. To be fair, Colbert and John Oliver were hilarious when they were on Daily Show.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
He has an extremely low bar to success. Is there even one show currently that does comedic topical coverage of the news without seeming glaringly biased?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The problem with jon stewart is that he was very much part of creating the problem we see today. Used to think he was funny but no, fuck him.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Gave me a little hope with his whole "obviously covid came from a lab" thing, but still prepared to be disappointed with woke bullshit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I liked Last Week Tonight for a while but between the sanctimoniousness and the just plain silliness and over reliance on gross out humor I can't take it anymore. I heard an interview with Stewart a few months ago and all he wanted to talk about was his animals on his "farm" and how they made him become a vegetarian. I imagine he's paying attention to politics again if he's doing another show but I don't expect much. He's too rich and comfortable to pour his life into a show anymore and they will probably rely on the same unfunny writers shit out by the elite universities that the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight use.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The only reason guys like this come back is because they have had too much stupid shit to say building up and they desperately need to let it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. John Oliver is a sanctimonious bag of air who always sounds exasperated over even the most minor issues these days but Jon Stewart has been off air and out of the picture for a long time and there is a good chance hes still just a reasonable guy with a flare for humor and levity.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The problem with jon stewart is that he was very much part of creating the problem we see today. Used to think he was funny but no, fuck him.

Nah, I don't give him that much credit. He was funny back in the day and he went after both sides. We'll find out if he slurped down the juice or not. I strongly, strongly suspect he's gonna come back a sad puppet of himself and this show will be terrible beyond belief, but he gave me enough laughs that I'm willing to give it a try.

Also, why not be a part of a record viewership dropoff if he does suck?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Thanks for bumping this thread. This will remind me to watch the show when it comes on in 2 weeks.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Remember, jon stewart called out stephen colbert about the wuhan lab theory. I guess I'll give it a chance for old times sake.

• 1Like