JRPGs of the X360/PS3/Wii Generation

Sean_sl

shitlord
Compiled a list of everything I could think of that's come out this last generation and some upcoming games as well. If you're bored and have an itch to play something you haven't yet, this may help you find something you haven't heard of.

X360:
Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata
Magnacarta 2
The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Enchanted Arms
Resonance of Fate
Agarest War 0/1
Dark Souls
Final Fantasy 13/13-2
Dragon's Dogma
Culdcept Saga
Nier
Spectral Force 3
Operation Darkness

PS3:
Tales of Graces F
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
Cross Edge
Trinity Universe
Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori
Atelier Meruru
Ar Tonelico Quoga
Last Rebellion
Enchanted Arms
Resonance of Fate
Agarest War 0/1/2
Ni no Kuni
Disagea 3
Disgaea 4
Valkyrie Chronicles
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
White Knight Chronicles 1/2
Final Fantasy 13/13-2
Dragon's Dogma
Hyperdimension Neptunia 1/2
Mugen Souls
Legasista
Nier
Folklore
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

Wii:
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Muramasa
Arc Rise Fantasia
Monster Hunter Tri
Fragile Dreams
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Baroque
Dragon Quest Swords
Shiren the Wanderer
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Valhalla knights: Eldar Saga
Rune Factory Frontier

Upcoming Games:

Wii:
Pandora's Tower

PS3:
Tales of Xillia
Atelier Ayesha
Hyperdimenion Neptunia Victory
The Witch and The Hundred Knights
Dragon's Crown
Time and Eternity
The Guided Fate Paradox
Disgaea D2
Dark Souls 2 (+X360)
Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Returns (+X360)

Unannounced:

PS3:
Tales of Xillia 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Would be better with like ratings or something. For example Tales of Grace F got a lot of hate in the thread. Looking forward to Xillia though supposedly it's very good.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I like how you didn't even put versusXIII, who fuckin knows with that game anymore. Also did know that Dragon's Crown was PS3 as well as Vita?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Sean, do any of those PS3 titles (outside the Souls titles) give you the ability to explore the open world and have side quests? I am playing through FFIX right now and forgot how damn story focused it was.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sean, do any of those PS3 titles (outside the Souls titles) give you the ability to explore the open world and have side quests? I am playing through FFIX right now and forgot how damn story focused it was.
FFXIII / XIII-2 have some open world gameplay. Not nearly as much as FFXII, but it's there.

Also, if you're into "gotta catch em all", Enchanted Arms has a ridiculous number of mobs to collect and develop. Can't remember what the game calls the mobs that fight for you, it's been way too long since I played.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So if I was wanting a more modern take on say ffiv or ffvi that wouldn't necessarily make me roll my eyes at the story on 360, what would I play. I think open world games ruined jrpg's for me.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So if I was wanting a more modern take on say ffiv or ffvi that wouldn't necessarily make me roll my eyes at the story on 360, what would I play. I think open world games ruined jrpg's for me.
If you're looking for a linear game with an epic Kefka-like villain, give up now. They just don't make 'em that way anymore (linear games, or games with exceptionally badass villains).

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Xenoblade was definitely the cream of the crop for me on all 3 systems. Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, and Ni no Kuni next in line.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'd like to recommend Magncarta 2 to people who have played the big JRPGs of this gen and want more, but haven't played it yet. It's a real diamond in the rough and definitely worth checking out, imo.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Is everything you listed actually worth checking out though? I haven't played most of them, but I know some of those got blasted over on FoH. Are some of those games only for the extremely bored and/or the "Japan can do no wrong" crowd?

Never actually played a Tales game and I have been thinking about it since they do seem to get pretty good praise.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Is everything you listed actually worth checking out though? I haven't played most of them, but I know some of those got blasted over on FoH. Are some of those games only for the extremely bored and/or the "Japan can do no wrong" crowd?

Never actually played a Tales game and I have been thinking about it since they do seem to get pretty good praise.
Oh Jesus no. Like some of those Wii games are total shit that no one should ever touch. A lot of the PS3 ones are super super niche JRPG weeaboo stuff. Definitely Metacritic a title or ask specifically about one if you're not sure.

Most of the Tales games are pretty good, though this generation's been a little on the weak side besides Vesperia. Vesperia is a must play and by far my favorite JRPG of this generation. Graces F isn't bad, it's decent, though a lot of people here disliked it and it's certainly not Vesperia level. The Tales of Symphonia sequel on the Wii is alright, but again not great. Tales of Xillia, which is coming up on the PS3 later this year, looks fantastic.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Cool. I have been itching for a RPG for awhile now. Going to check out Vesperia since that is the one I have seen get the most praise.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Cool. I have been itching for a RPG for awhile now. Going to check out Vesperia since that is the one I have seen get the most praise.
Definitely check out Lost Odyssey too if you haven't yet, it's probably my #2 JRPG this generation.

Blue Dragon is also pretty good, it's basically Dragon Warrior. Magnacarta 2 should be given a shot too, if you can find it.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've never played a Tales game... would that make any difference in my enjoyment of Vesperia?

I tried to play Blue Dragon but had to give it up. Fucking OCD overload and of course generic shitty story/characters did it in.