Judgment (Yakuza team) (PS4)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Sounds just as good as the past couple Yakuza games. Apparently if you buy it on PSN you can play tomorrow, rather than waiting until next Tues for regular copies. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought and played for an hour. Wow. Combat and graphics looks like an updated Yakuza, and I really like the character. No idea about the later game and how it ends, but immediate reaction was that Sega appears to have a new franchise on their hands.

Szlia

Obviously curious and even optimistic about it, but I must say I can't help but roll my eyes at these (sadly pretty common) stories where a defense attorney has an identity crisis because they helped exonerate a criminal.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This anything like Sleeping Dogs?

Not really, as I remember that was more action and fast paced? It's a Yakuza game from a different perspective. You're not in the Yakuza, but know them and have ties to them. Partner is ex-Yakuza. So instead of being in it, you're investigating things tied to them (at least the main story so far).

I finished chapter 1 (around 5 hours), think there are 7-8 chapters? Chapter 1 is basically a tutorial. I didn't see any side missions other than the friends part, where you become "friends" by using their establishments and such. They can unlock side missions later (extra investigations I assume, not tied to the main story ones). Many of the activities are locked in chapter 1 like Drone racing which I assume is a more active racing game than the little race cars from Zero.

In chapter 1, investigation aspects are quite basic. Impossible to miss the right questions since you get to ask all of them, just need to do the correct ones first to get skill point bonuses. No idea if this changes later, into a more LA Noire thing where you can make mistakes. I did answer one wrong which led to a fight. Not sure if that also goes into later chapters in court, which can effect outcome of cases and maybe the end game? Chapter one is linear though and can't be messed up. You'll always know where to go, what to ask, where to look, which is why I call it a tutorial.

Tl;dr: So far the game has built a great base mechanic and ideas that could separate it enough from just being a Yakuza clone, but then it needs to expand on the investigations and court related things. I don't know if it does that yet.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I have never played a Yakuza game, not sure why.

Edit: fuck it, downloading it anyways. Won’t be the first time I payed full price for a game I ended up hating... this month.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Out 4/23 for PS5, XSX, and Stadia. Yep, that's right: they sold out to fucking Stadia of all things for exclusivity, so no PC version for some unknown period of time... which is really weird because Sega and MS have seemed really tight up until now. I actually expected to see it as a bonus announcement for Game Pass seeing as the rest of the Yakuza series is there now.

On top of that, the faggots at Sega have decided that people who bought it for PS4 will get to pay $40 a second time if they want it on PS5.