June Retro Game of the Month - Wild ARMs (PS1)

Siliconemelons

Amod Amod plz sticky and unstick & close poll - you rock thanks :)

Surging past a few early winners such as Zelda II - Wild ARMs comes out on top this month. This RPG was unfourtunatly passed by, by many players on release because of FF7 fever - however it is a very worthy game and RPG - it spawned many follow up games and a "reboot of the series" is expected this year.

Wild Arms (ワイルドアームズ) is a Western-themed role-playing video game developed by Japanese company Media.Vision. Originally released in Japan in 1996 for the PlayStation, it was later translated and released in North America in 1997 and Europe in 1998 by Sony Computer Entertainment.[4] It is noteworthy for being one of the first role-playing video games on the PlayStation,[5] as well as one of the few to feature a Western American setting and motif. The game features 2D computer graphics for normal gameplay, while battle sequences are rendered in 3D.[6]

Taking place in the fantasy world of Filgaia, Wild Arms follows the adventures of a band of miscreants and adventurers called Dream Chasers who scour the world in search of excitement and fortune. The player assumes control of a young boy named Rudy who has the ability to operate powerful weapons called Ancient Relic Machines (ARMs), forbidden remnants of a lost age that resemble firearms. Along with his companions Jack and Cecilia, the group must use their respective skills to navigate through the vast wastelands and dungeons of Filgaia and prevent an otherworldly threat from reviving their lost leader and destroying the world.[7]

In November 2003, an enhanced remake titled Wild Arms Alter Code: F was released for the PlayStation 2 in Japan, with a North American version produced in 2005.[8] In addition to enhanced graphics, Alter Code: F also features an expanded script, remastered soundtrack, new characters, and additional gameplay scenarios.[9]

220px-Wildarmscase.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

playstation-61494-41439972581.jpg

FnO5lAZ.png

wildarms-81.png

If you choose to play the remake - Alter Code F for PS2, please note so when discussing, there are additional game play, characters and things added. Also the method of some of the backstory of a certain character are explained differently - while discussing plot please be mindful and use spoilers during the start of the month as people start up their play session etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Sadly PS1 was a bad time for me. I was hard core into PC gaming with quake/quake2 etc.. I didnt beat FFVII probably until a year after it was out. Wild Arms , Suikoden, Star Ocean, Lunar all fell victim to PC Master Race. Will be nice going back and playing this and hopefully get me out of my gaming slump.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
2D overworld with 3D battles holds up much better in 2018 than FF7's prerendered 3D overworld with low-polygon-count 3D overworld characters

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

The 2d animation is very well done - and as you said does hold up a little better, as it is very well done sprite work.

The battles are a bit "slow" in animation, but still hold a nice traditional RPG challange.

The add in of puzzles and stuff is great and make WildArms a bit more then a ho-drump RPG, I actually like them adding that type of "stuff" in to be different than making a convoluted combat system.

Imo the puzzles are done very well, and still done well in the 3d version surprisingly

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If there's one thing Wild Arms should be remembered for, it's the music. To this day, it's one of my favorite game sound tracks, and I still periodically feel the urge to go look up a bunch of songs on Youtube and marathon it.

Siliconemelons

So I literally dusted off the PS3 OG BC model, and turned it on- it loaded and said "PS1 disk" so I was like..could it be?

Game started to load, and boom an anime intro movie... but it was Lunar lol.

Found my old folio of CDs... there it was with wild arms 3 next to it and... wild arms 5?! I honestly didn't know I bought that game wtf?

So, swapped it out... no save files :( oh well, time to start anew or find alter code f

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'd never played a JRPG game when I played FF7. The PS1 was the first console I purchased with my own cash, and I'd been following the FF7 development from day 1's listing in several of the gaming magazines from the 90's. I beat that shit into the ground, waking up at 4am before high school to play, coming straight home after to play until midnight...once I finished it, took out all the Ultimate Weapons, I played through it again (to take Tifa on a date instead of Aerith, seriously).

After a second completion, I was hungry, starrrving for another game like it. Wild Arms had been out, and wasn't $60 by the time I got around to buying it, so I picked it up.

Man, the disappointment. Initially. "Ugh, this combat is so slow moving, what's with the 'crappy' 2D over world, this story is ridiculous, these childish looking models..."... Fucking 60 more hours later, "These spells are badass, this music is amazing, the story is solid with an incredibly adult narative, and the 2D environment puzzles are fun." Unfortunately I held onto zero memories of any of the specific characters, beyond the basic, as I've learned since, jrpg hero damsel etc character archetypes.

After blowing through countless jrpg's since then, this game still holds a place in my heart being as my FF7 rebound.

How's it play on emus?

Siliconemelons

I do not think it uses anything odd, it was a fairly early game so any psx emu should play it.

The western motif is different enough to give WA a shot.

I also picked it up after ff7 and it was in the 20$ bin with suidoken... WA won my 20$ and I am happy for it :) I still need to play the other lol.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The opening song for this game is one of my all time favorites.

Leave it to the Japs to nail the Wild West feeling.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I still love this game after all the years.

I am perferring the orig vs the remake, but honestly - it is a great remake that keeps a lot of the orig charm and good bits.

Story -

As I mentioned in even the differences in their anime openings - the main characters party and the world itself often fails - cities are destroyed and often it is because of your actions opening up the path and the metal demons are just fucking ruthless and a step ahead of you the entire time. I think the orig some of this is lost because of "animation" and cartoonyness - while the improved visuals in the remake can better enforce this some.

The world is barren and what pockets of life there are need protecting yet they keep getting destroyed effortlessly by your seemingly unkillable opponents.

In most RPGs, FF etc. you meet your primary antagonists and they beat you up and lol let u live, then you spend the game getting stronger and then fight them at the end in a big epic showdown where you show humanity is truly strong and yay.

In WildARMs the metal demons constantly beat your shit, laugh about it tell you "eh you have gotten stronger, but well..*flick* your done" all this while killing and destroying shit all around. It is akin to Kefka from FF6 ACTUALLY destroying shit, if he didn't literally destroy the world, I would give the villans from WildARMs on par with FF9 bad guys for actually being world level bad dudes fucking shit up.

The remake approaches Jacks backstory more directly and sooner in the game - in the orig - spoiler - you have to leave your game sit at the title screen and are treated with a cut scene from many years ago that show - spoiler again---- jacks backstory - He is a very well done character, he is a Indiana Jones, Han Solo type arcitype adventurer loner that has a haunted past- yet it feels fresh and well placed into the WildARMs game and story.

Your main character is developed very well steadily throughout the game, I do not know how well is is done on the remake or if its accelerated or improved upon - I need to put my OG Disc up and find the remake and continue.

The princess is okay in terms of character, the time you get with her solo at the start helps - FF9 must have used WA as a emotional cue hit, cutting hair etc. but it still is well done (in both titles)

She constantly throughout the story is the one that most outwardly shows emotion. She is the one that resonates the dramatic and gravity of what is going on, while Jack is dull and your main character is somewhat stunned and still trying to catch up to everything that is going on.

I really like the very "generic" three character types - I think we have had decades of games trying to eschew this that we get total convoluted crap in plot and in characters.

I do not know how adding in the 3 or so side characters from the orig into the playable cast effect this in the remake as I did not really get past the "intro" - I also do not like adding in a playable character for 1 or 2 story beats and then they leave... again I have not gotten there on the remake so I do not know - and some of this is personal pref. But with the story and feel of this game being so well crafted around Rudy, Jack and Cecelia that I would feel tossing one out for a bit then bringing them back would be disruptive - its not FF6 and an ensamb big cast game.

The game to me has a long start, it can be argued it is drawn out and tosses many things at you at once and some of those wont creep up until later in the story, and you have to remember. The Elw, Guardians, Golems, Metal Demons etc etc. - But it has a great final act that builds up nicely and resolves nicely - spoiler- you get hit with an additional "end" segment after the main apparent ending target, but no one complains about the moon stuff in FF4 right? while cliche and the standard ha ha! big bad is really me! it is imo still actually done well and technically speaking done better than Golbez and the lunar surface to Zeromus stuff in FF4, that bad guy good guy flip switch was what, 5 lines of text. "sorry bro, love u"

Szlia

Will we use the "It's an RPG so it's the game of the month for two months" pseudo-rule? Because I have yet to start :( (Yakuza 5 takes time!)

Siliconemelons

Lol that's find if there are others wanting to extend this. We can pickup in August - I will start a vote July 15 for August - - also it's summer, slow chill time

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So, can someone PM me a site to get Wild Arms ISO? I found Alundra, Lunar and the damn CASE for Wild Arms..but no disk inside ;( probably on a spindle god knows where.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So, can someone PM me a site to get Wild Arms ISO? I found Alundra, Lunar and the damn CASE for Wild Arms..but no disk inside ;( probably on a spindle god knows where.

We've been sharing this site openly

Vimm's Lair: Preserving the Classics

Has just about every classic ROM/ISO you could possibly want, and no strings attached/no nonsense site format.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I have the disk if there is a iso ripper avail, it's the ol PS1 black disc so dunno if any magic MOJO needs to happen

Siliconemelons

Also, looks like a few peeps just getting started, we will extend for a month- we will start AUG nominations in a few and establish RPGs are two months.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users