Kayak Fishing

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sometimes you have to pull ur beef curtains up and go for it bro
I no longer live in LA. I wonder if you are old enough to remember 18 drinking age and 15 driving age. From the time I entered the 7th grade till the year after I graduated I knew 13 people who died in DUI related accidents. Twice it was 4 of them at once.

Not a fan of drinking and driving even if it's only a boat.

Borzak

Those Hobies are nice, local guy around here fishes from one, and is on my wish list. Here his highlight video he produced from his 2014 season.Kardinal_84s 2014 Fishing Season Highlights from Southcentral Alaska - YouTube
The pro angler is nice if you can get close to the water, not really something you want to carry very far or even roll around (have the little cart that fits into the scupper holes). I would probably go another direction if I did it over again. Since I live closer to the gulf in TX than I did in LA I use the company owned center console boat now and less headache and it's kept at the marina so no loading up or whatever.

I would definitely go lighter. Plus you gotta remember if you are fishing to throw in the weight of your gear/tackle and possibly an ice chest etc... I would guess fully loaded my pro angler weights 75 pounds give or take. That's the 14' I think they have a 12' now.

Most of the dealers here like ACK (Austin Canoe and Kayak) have days on weekends often you can go out to a local lake and try them all out. I would go that route for anyone looking. Spend half a day paddling them all around and see what fits you and is comfortable.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
We have no Hobie dealers in the state, so it has to be shipped up, which can get expensive.

Borzak

Where do you live they don't have a Hobie dealer, got several in town here.

I no longer live in LA. I wonder if you are old enough to remember 18 drinking age and 15 driving age. From the time I entered the 7th grade till the year after I graduated I knew 13 people who died in DUI related accidents. Twice it was 4 of them at once.

Not a fan of drinking and driving even if it's only a boat.
Did you paddle up current both ways to ?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've been hearing about kayakivists lately. Are you guys the same lot?

Borzak

I've been hearing about kayakivists lately. Are you guys the same lot?
Nope, when I moved out of LA I gave my pro angler to the BSA and they use it on one of the 4 lakes at their scout reservation. They have a program for a father/son team to check it out for a day of fishing. One gets the pro angler and one of them gets one of their other kayaks.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah shipping would suck. Spent a few months at a time for a couple of years in a row in Kenai. Good times. Was just up there to Salmon and Halibut fish.
Its turning out to be a great salmon season so far. Year and year of poor King returns, and out of no where best early King runs in 10 years. Another great year for Sockeyes also. I fished the Klutina last weekend and brought home some nice Copper River Reds and got schooled when I hooked into a King on my 8 wt.

Borzak

My great uncle who lived on the TX coast pulled his airstream up there every year and stayed for 3-4 months each summer. He was the ultimate people person. He knew a couple that had been there for years and the guy worked/ran a museum in Kenai or Soldotna. He parked on their property each year. So I flew up and stayed with that lady after her husband died for a few months each summer. He also knew a guy who worked as a biologist for AK Fish and Game who was a pilot. We went out lots of days just sightseeing and stuff as long as I paid for the gas. He died a year later in a plane crash when his plane was overloaded with Dall Sheep skulls he had been picking up to sell for scrimshaw work to pick up extra cash. Man I'm getting old that was almost 25 years ago. Spent many a day fishing on the Kenai, Russian river etc...I only caught one king when I was there but lots of sockeye.

When my uncle died in 2001 he had about 15 people fly down from AK to attend his funeral. Wierd.