Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I picked this up the other day, after seeing it mentioned in /r/basebuildinggames.

It seems like additions to this game are super slow. looking at the reddit, here, etc. and content that is added, is more maps, buildings, etc. not necessarily missing core gameplay elements.

"A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a mercenary, a business owner, a doctor, a bandit... the list goes on." Like, this is a dirty lie.
you can't actually be a doctor. sure, its a skill... but, no one pays you for it. That is not a game avenue. same goes for most of the gameplay options. theif, bounty hunter, etc. Some are more viable then others. but, most still end up just exploiting some mechanic to skill up, or cash up quick. aka, aggro bandits/slavers, and drag them back to the nearest town guards. Pick up the loot.. or, lock yourself up, and exploit/train up your lockpicking..

part of the problem is the "no level scaling", the game champions. It makes it so, exploiting is the best way to skillup and be viable. the "progression" isn't very natural. and not fun if you are actually trying to play a specific role, "thief, rebel, merc, etc", but okish if you just play freeform.

The devs, and basebuilding didnt mention it, but I too noticed, mount and blade vibes from this. I see that echoed here.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I got this game in 2014.

A lot of decent additions have been made, but the game is still in a relatively rough state. On the upside updates have been consistent, so it is going places.

As Caliane said, the game offers a lot of room for exploits, picking up a corpse loaded with stuff, on a guy that is loaded to the brim, and making his overburdened ass crawl around the map for extended periods will result in hulk-like strength .. eventually. Making people run around the map naked will make them marathon runners, and so on.

Keeping this on watch but not suggesting it unless you really like rough sandbox games with mechanics that need work.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got this game in 2014.

A lot of decent additions have been made, but the game is still in a relatively rough state. On the upside updates have been consistent, so it is going places.

As Caliane said, the game offers a lot of room for exploits, picking up a corpse loaded with stuff, on a guy that is loaded to the brim, and making his overburdened ass crawl around the map for extended periods will result in hulk-like strength .. eventually. Making people run around the map naked will make them marathon runners, and so on.

Keeping this on watch but not suggesting it unless you really like rough sandbox games with mechanics that need work.

I think you just convinced me to buy the game...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How is anything that you described an exploit? So if I wear a weight vest and go to the gym everyday and get stronger I'm exploiting life? If I train for marathons by running everywhere I'm cheating the system?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How is anything that you described an exploit? So if I wear a weight vest and go to the gym everyday and get stronger I'm exploiting life? If I train for marathons by running everywhere I'm cheating the system?
Gotta get them gainsploits.

To anyone wanting to get this game, go ahead and buy it to support an indie dev, but I recommend waiting until it's finished to play it. That might be a year from now, or never? But they're getting close in Kenshi-terms to finishing it. After "beating" it a while ago, I've been keeping tabs on it for a few years and am personally looking forward to playing it when it's released.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
We really just need the new M&B to come out.

Damn these devs that don't actually release games until they're done

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We really just new the new M&B to come out.

Damn these devs that don't actually release games until they're done
I'm looking forward to
M&B BannerLord
State of Decay 2
Kenshi

in that order. Not sure what other sandbox games are in that category I should be looking forward to (or already playing!)

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I have over 500 hours in M&B Warband. I've been totally psyched about Bannelord but I am starting to wonder whether it will ever be released. I also read all the posts about Kenshi and considered buying it when you guys were first playing it but it sounds like it has not advanced much.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have over 500 hours in M&B Warband. I've been totally psyched about Bannelord but I am starting to wonder whether it will ever be released. I also read all the posts about Kenshi and considered buying it when you guys were first playing it but it sounds like it has not advanced much.
I've got high confidence in Bannerlord being released in 2018.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
whaterlord?

seriously its been 7?+ years, even the russians have given up at this point

someone should do a thesis on how SC made 175 million, and this game didn't even manage to put out a sequel while it was relevant, i find it amazing

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Get hype! Last part of the map coming out in the next couple weeks.

Kenshi :: Blog #26: The Final Piece

I haven't been playing it since 2014 or whatever, but I feel like it should be released in a few months depending on how much it takes to polish.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Get hype! Last part of the map coming out in the next couple weeks.

Kenshi :: Blog #26: The Final Piece

I haven't been playing it since 2014 or whatever, but I feel like it should be released in a few months depending on how much it takes to polish.
I started a new game earlier in the year after seeing how much had been updated. Still went for building my own trading hub and there's a ton more to do with that than the last time that I played but also worrying about food really adds an interesting aspect to the game. My city feels much more alive with bakers and farmers and cooks running restaurants. Need to boot it back up since I was intentionally avoiding the really crazy zones and cannibals but, if I remember correctly, I got about 4 guys trained up to near max fighting and evasion that can take on an entire town if they fight in a chokepoint so maybe it's time to kill some cannibals

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm pretty interested in playing the game again after not having touched it since like... the very beginning. The fact that it has had an ongoing development where the team actually fixes shit and is expanding content right up to the point they said they would is refreshing. Great that I got it for like 15? Or whatever it was several years ago hah.