Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
put 17 hours into kenshi the last few days, love it. very stable game.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Bump for this.

Been playing the fuck out of this game. Definitely recommend to anyone who likes sandbox RPGs.

I'm building up my squad atm and getting ready to roll out to murk some cannibals!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
One of the few games where I continue to camp my own corpse hoping someone in the near by town saves my ass instead loading an autosave.

Only bummer is it does crash more than it should for a game supposedly out of beta.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One of the few games where I continue to camp my own corpse hoping someone in the near by town saves my ass instead loading an autosave.

Only bummer is it does crash more than it should for a game supposedly out of beta.
That sucks. I got one crash in like 60 hours, most of those hours in long (10+ hour) sessions.

Molten Core Raider
I picked this up over the weekend and it's...overwhelming. There's so much you're capable of doing I almost dunno where to start.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I picked this up over the weekend and it's...overwhelming. There's so much you're capable of doing I almost dunno where to start.
One way to start is get a 5-10 man team equipped in basic gear, food and enough fighting ability to take on hungry bandits and those dog creatures. It's not trivial to achieve this.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just turn your first dude into a marathon runner, by running across the map without any gear / burden.

After he gets etheopian, throw a rock at some enemies and kite them to the nearest city, you are now rich.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
One way to start is get a 5-10 man team equipped in basic gear, food and enough fighting ability to take on hungry bandits and those dog creatures. It's not trivial to achieve this.

highly disadvise

you've boxed EQ too much :(

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just turn your first dude into a marathon runner, by running across the map without any gear / burden.

After he gets etheopian, throw a rock at some enemies and kite them to the nearest city, you are now rich.
This is basically what I do at the start too, just I do it with 5-10 teammates. This makes carrying gear from corpses to vendor much more effective.

I do wish that I chose to be a thief at the game start though, because you need those skills later and I think it could've been lucrative in the early game. Oh well, I have a dude dedicated to lock-picking practice on chests now. Not sure if he can get skilled enough to unlock the chests I want without him practicing being a thief in cities or not.

Molten Core Raider
So if I wanted to eventually build a base, what sort of progression path would I need to be focused on? I love base building and would rather level skills or do activities that will benefit me more in that direction.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So if I wanted to eventually build a base, what sort of progression path would I need to be focused on? I love base building and would rather level skills or do activities that will benefit me more in that direction.
So, there are fundamentally two different ways to play kenshi:
1. Figure out all the shit for yourself with no outside information.

2. Look up optimal ways to do things, learn from other people and then execute a sensible strategy.

Obviously people fall somewhere in between. But Kenshi isn't that tough of a game once you understand it so if for your first playthrough you do #2 too much, you're really missing out on what makes it fun.

That being said, the most important attribute to having a good base is being able to defend it from random bandits that patrol over your territory. In some cases that might mean getting a decent group before base building, in other cases it might mean earning enough $$$ to hire mercs and build a decent defensive position in your base before bandits can show up.

In my playthrough I explored the fun possibility of building my base in the Holy Empire's amazing land while having a diverse party (humans, skeletons, turians and salarians). This helps because the holy empire patrols the area and kills any bandits, but then when they come to my base I have to play hide-the-jews with my skeletons, and then claim that my turians/salarians are my servants. I also have to keep their holy book in my inventory. But it's all fine, I shake their hand, give them a hug, they send me on my way and wish me luck. It's great.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
AI cores became silly rare with the release of the Ashlands in non-Ashlands areas =/ However, it's pretty easy to go all stealth ninja thief mode and outrun all the skeleton death squads to pillage the domes for enough to research the good stuff now. Ruka from Squinn is a giant robot slaying crossbow ninja thief, and it is great.

I went full production simcity with my base, right in the valley between that Hive village and the Hub. Not playing with the super expanded numbers (my rig is good but when the fights are like 60+ people it isn't optimal) and only using the standard 30 team member cap, and it seems to be working well for the most part. Now it's just a matter of training up and producing/finding enough Edge#3 weapons to take out the various faction leader types.

I've played this game a lot =/

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
So this is now on the Steam Top Selling list, pretty crazy to see this completed now and getting such good reviews

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So this is now on the Steam Top Selling list, pretty crazy to see this completed now and getting such good reviews
I didn't feel the need to rain on anyones parade. But I'll jump in and say, I was not very impressed. I did put in a good amount of time over like a week. but then hit a point where I went, "is that all?" and uninstalled, and have not felt the need to come back ever. And actively, felt let down. Like the opposite of a rimworld/oxygen not included, where a new base is always an option.

The game is ugly as shit. its called a sandbox, but its kindof empty and shallow as hell. most of the games mechanics are really unsatisfying and practically exploits. Like, picking up your oxen in caravans to speed up... and this also builds up your str and run speed making your npcs gods, while you just tell them to run in circles to skill up. Leaving your characters afk, picking the same lock over and over to skill up, or stealthed in a room, to skill it up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I didn't feel the need to rain on anyones parade. But I'll jump in and say, I was not very impressed. I did put in a good amount of time over like a week. but then hit a point where I went, "is that all?" and uninstalled, and have not felt the need to come back ever. And actively, felt let down. Like the opposite of a rimworld/oxygen not included, where a new base is always an option.

The game is ugly as shit. its called a sandbox, but its kindof empty and shallow as hell. most of the games mechanics are really unsatisfying and practically exploits. Like, picking up your oxen in caravans to speed up... and this also builds up your str and run speed making your npcs gods, while you just tell them to run in circles to skill up. Leaving your characters afk, picking the same lock over and over to skill up, or stealthed in a room, to skill it up.
I dunno how you can say, "Is that it?" to a game this massive that was built by like 5 dudes.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good, it really is a gem of a game that I'm hoping gets a lot more traciton both so the devs get properly rewarded (and support the game longterm) and also so similar sandbox style games get made.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I dunno how you can say, "Is that it?" to a game this massive that was built by like 5 dudes.

Wasn't it only one dude for the first half of development too or something? I picked this up back when only 25% of the map was done and it seemed to be growing in popularity due to youtube explosure, and I seem to remember it being a one-man show at the time.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure it was one dude for >70% of the time the game has been around.

Molten Core Raider
Really put some time into this over the weekend. I'd watched a few youtube videos on how to earn money early on but after trying to put them into practice discovered they were a bit outdated. I resorted to the tried and true "beat on rocks and sell the ore" method. After spending way too long doing that I finally earned enough money for backpacks and with the increased ore capacity I eventually was able to purchase a nice sized house. I needed more money at this point to start funding some research and was deflated that that meant more mining, until I noticed the nearby armor shop closing up for the night. A few of my guys were healing from a bandit beating they took during the day mining, so I figured "fuck it, Ill work up lock picking" so I went and fiddled with the door and actually opened it on the third try. From there my descent from upstanding miner to thief extraordinaire has been swift, and far more lucrative.

I've got a long way to go before Im ready to try to build my own base, but til then, I'm stealing everything not nailed down.

• 1Solidarity