Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
"Kenshi is a single player free-roaming Role Playing Game, with a Real-Time Strategy influence. Its squad-based, meaning you have a whole team of characters who can split up and go to different ends of the world. The game world is 400 square km of seamless terrain with a world map screen for fast-travel, Fallout style. You can play with one character, or with 50, and there are advantages to both. Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion."

"A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a mercenary, a business owner, a doctor, a bandit... the list goes on. Research new equipment and craft new gear. Purchase and upgrade your own buildings to use as safe fortified havens when things go bad, or use them to start up a business. Aid or oppose the various factions in the world while striving for the strength and wealth necessary to simply survive in the harsh desert. Train your men up from puny victims to master warriors. Carry your wounded squad mates to safety and get them all home alive."

The game is currently in alpha but you can download and play it either from the developers website or from steam; you just have to accept the generally unfinished state of the game. I'm downloading it at the moment so I'll hopefully give some more updates on the quality of the game later.

Has anyone else seen or played this yet?

http://www.lofigames.com/index.php?o...d=46&Itemid=66

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I grabbed this off of Steam a few months ago. A lot of weird little bugs in the game right now but the developer has been pushing out fixes and updates at a decent rate and he brought on an extra guy last month. It's been either a lot of micromanagement or just flat out exploiting so far to win fights early on until your guys get good enough to hold their own but it seems like a good enough premise to where I'm interested to see where he starts taking this. I had a few false starts with the solo starter players so ended up going with the one who got a whole party of characters to begin with. Two generic guys, one warrior and three laborers. Ended up just starting my own town on a trade path between one of the outposts and a major town. Within the first week of in-game time you are going to get completely trounced by bandits so it's a good idea to be close to a good base of NPC guards where you can kite the bandits off to get killed when the fight turns bad (and it definitely will turn bad for a good chunk of time until you level up). A lot of things weren't in-game yet when I last played a month ago but I think that walls are now in and maybe ranged weapons. Fun game so far but a really steep learning curve.

**edit** the damage system has been the best part of the game so far. My blacksmith had just learned how to make steel blunt weapons and my soldiers basically just break people's arms in the first two swings of combat now. The bandits end up just stumbling around with two broken arms until the soldiers randomly decide to just bludgeon them to death.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
started this up today due to the complete deluge of shite being released lately. A lot of good progress since I last played. The guy included music which is some ambient countryish/post-rock/asian sounding stuff (a little like Neil Young's Dead Man soundtrack if it were played by Godspeed You Black Emperor). Your towns can actually be trading posts now and my shop and bar are functional now (it appears that I had built enough in the earlier versions that my town is now a marker on the map as well). He included walls so you can actually build defenses to help ward off bandits and you can craft armor. The production lines seem to have gotten beefed up a little too and there are a bunch of recipes that I don't think that I had before. Still an interesting concept.

eXarc

Molten Core Raider
Think this game has some promise behind it and looks awesome as hell. I'm going to try and dig into it when possible.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I tossed it some money like a year ago, and it is still -very- much in alpha/beta mode. I like what it proposes, but it still needs quite a bit of work. Still hopeful, tho~

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Started it up, ran around for 15m before finding any bandits which promptly whipped my ass. Is there anything to the combat besides clicking the guy and watching your dude swing the sword?

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
that's pretty much it and your guys even suck at that in the beginning. Starting off you really need to exploit a bit to get on your feet. Find some bandits and kite them back to a large town, wait for the town guards to kill them and then grab their stuff and sell it or upgrade your own gear. The early game in this verges on being impossibly difficult if you don't get lucky and don't make the npc guards do the heavy lifting for a while. Once you get some money you can pick up a few more guys and have one act as a healer then you can begin to hold your own in fights.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I moved to a different city and there was a ton more action going on and the game was more enjoyable. I played all yesterday and now I have a squad rolling 20 deep cruising around. We can take small packs of samurai and paladins but incur heavy damage from it.

What's the best way to get good gear? As in better than what I'm looting off of enemies.

If it's to build a city and start crafting I have one engineer and three medics and about 60k cats so I think I'm ready. Where should I build a city and what do I have to do to not screw it up?

If there's a place I can go to buy non-shitty gear that's fine too.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and duppin how can you say this game is not like mount and blade? It's the same except it has city building and crafting where M&B has lords and horses.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I need to check this out. It's nice to see more stuff like M&B being made.

I'm really interested in the city building aspect. I don't like the static nature of M&B's settlements. I'd love to try playing something like this in the vein of the roman conquest of hispania and gaul, where they founded a lot of roman cities and colonized the landscape with latins. Then to be able to establish trade routes to all my sexy interdependent cities....mmmmmm
Is5qBMu.jpg

I figure that's a long ways off though.
frown.png
And doing this in third person is just more interesting than the grand strategy aspect. Establishing the Kingdom of Pendor in the M&B mod Prophecy of Pendor was frickin awesome, and better than anything I've done in Total War or Paradox stuff.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One minor difference that is pretty cool between this and M&B is that there's no separation between the world and the combat maps. This means that instead of looking at an 800x800 pixel square of your units visible range for fools to smash you're constantly panning around and scanning the horizon of an ingame world. It's very easy to miss high-value targets on the horizon so it adds a layer of depth to what I consider one of the worst parts of M&B: searching for enemies.

Still I think searching for enemies will get pretty monotonous. If the city building, defending and attacking doesn't flow well I doubt I'll play this very long. I don't know why but the holy paladin faction was aggressive toward me from the start(maybe cause I have the holy sword character?) so my overall goal is to eliminate them.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I moved to a different city and there was a ton more action going on and the game was more enjoyable. I played all yesterday and now I have a squad rolling 20 deep cruising around. We can take small packs of samurai and paladins but incur heavy damage from it.

What's the best way to get good gear? As in better than what I'm looting off of enemies.

If it's to build a city and start crafting I have one engineer and three medics and about 60k cats so I think I'm ready. Where should I build a city and what do I have to do to not screw it up?

If there's a place I can go to buy non-shitty gear that's fine too.
To get better stuff than you could get off of corpses from a larger battle involving tougher guys than standard bandits you are going to have to craft so you're next step is going to definitely be building a city. The best places to build are in between cities and outposts. I built mine in the far south which ended up being good as a starter town since I only run into small groups of bandits but I am very far away from the larger factions and their fights so I'm stuck completely relying on my blacksmith to get good gear.

I'm pretty sure that you can just start building whatever is available from the start and you won't have to worry about screwing up your city. Your initial small houses can be gutted and filled with storage units once you research into the larger houses. There used to be a bug where the generators wouldn't start producing power until you saved and restarted but that might have been cleared up. Almost everything other than research tables gets to have the same building upgrade to the next level so I guess be careful with placement of your initial material crafting buildings. I would say have enough space available to build some of the very large buildings (like the actual outpost buildings, you'll eventually be able to build almost everything that you see int he large cities). I crammed my city into a mountain pass for security but am now very restricted with what else can fit close to my production buildings. I had to start building my outpost IV about 200 yards away from my city which lead to bandits trying to pick off my builders.

It ends up being a bit like EVE once you've established a city, it's a lot of waiting around for brief periods of action if you keep close your city but now that walls are in you can safely leave your laborers and engineers in town and head out with most of your warriors and have enough time to head back if someone decides to throw a large attack at your home base.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I tried to like this game, but it just isn't good at this point in time. Game needs a LOT of work, feels like it's years away from what could be considered a quality release. Controls are terrible and the interface is pretty bad as well.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I gave the demo a shot, and I think it has promise. Yea, it's far from ready, but they're not hiding that.

The demo limits you to one follower, which seemed to be the biggest hurdle in progressing. I was making tons of cash and slowly working up my stats kiting bandits to town guards, but with only one buddy our chance of doing anything other than kiting was miniscule. And the "starving bandits" are incredibly adept fighters, each one presenting a significant challenge to the combined efforts of my follower and I. The big paydays were when I kited bandit bosses to the guards and looted $$$ armor and weapons.

I was about to go try to throw up a few buildings for the lulz when the game crashed on me.
frown.png
I don't see myself investing time in this yet, but it has more promise to me than something like MineCraft. I enjoy the fact that you're in a dynamic world full of people to work with and against, which gives all of your building efforts meaning.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Definitely something I'll check back on in about a year, when it hopefully resembles a game made this decade

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I got around the follower limit by choosing the settler group origin, but I crashed twice while setting up my town.
frown.png
Press F5 often mmmkay? Shit is discouraging.

Also my group got rolled a few times by wandering bandit mobs as we set up camp. I didn't try to develop my crew at all, I just took what they gave me and went and plopped down some buildings. If I run inside the shack and lock the door, will the bandits be able to get to me and will they depart if they can't..or just sit there? I meant to test this, but the crashes bummed me out.

Edit: zewikisays police stations have basic training dummies to make your dudes suck ever so slightly less at fighting early on. I am off to investigate.

Also I think I'm going to leave my build crew in town and make fat stacks with my fighters on the settler origin before I head out next time. Maybe I can set up a safe-ish research spot to learn walls before I try to go full on with a settlement. wandering bandits jumping my scrubs as they build is the suck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just buy the game bros, these games need our support, it's only ~$15 and the game doesn't really work with only a couple people. I think this game works best with 10ish people in your squad, though I have the max of 20 because powergamer.

So I spent all of yesterday running to each city I was non-kos to for the fragment axe blueprints and couldn't find it, and no where on the internet does it specify where all the patterns were. I have the holy sword start which turns out is a terrible first character choice because it makes you kos to the best cities (the holy bro cities) which happen to have the fragment axe blueprints. So I took my fastest guy and ran around town with a hundred holy bros chasing him, sprinted to the front desk of the weapon store, smashed the glass counter, grabbed the blueprint (but gave them the 10k or whatever cats) and ran out with it. The value of the fragment axe, apparently, is that it trains strength for your dudes and also hits every enemy around the guy swinging it.

I've also got quite a village set up now. My biggest regret is that I didn't get a dude on a research bench somewhere in an NPC city asap while my guys were off training / getting money. Researching the top end gear takes a long time and I have a fully functional production line for weapons/armor while my research isn't even halfway done yet. I think if my goal for a city was to make money starting the research with the city would make sense since you can probably make good money with just wheat farm + silo + oven. But if you want the best items it takes weeks to research to it and only a few days to build up a city.

Now that I have a full set of some midtier fragment axes I think I'm going to let my researcher do his thing (I might have to buy him a store in a city so he doesn't get attacked) and have everyone else wander around smashing fools. There's a mod:Lo-Fi Games View topic - Larger Group Combatthat is supposed to increase the mob density of roaming mobs. This would cause the samurai and paladin groups to probably be too tough for me atm but I might try it anyway.