Knives Out (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
2.89 star(s) Rating: 2.89/5 9 Votes
Title: Knives Out (2019)

Tagline: Hell, any of them could have done it.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Crime, Drama, Comedy

Director: Rian Johnson

Cast: Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Lakeith Stanfield, Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, Christopher Plummer, Riki Lindhome, Frank Oz, M. Emmet Walsh, Raúl Castillo, Noah Segan, K Callan, Shyrley Rodriguez, Edi Patterson, Marlene Forte, Kerry Frances, Gary Tanguay, Octavia Chavez-Richmond

Release: 2019-11-27

Runtime: 130

Plot: When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death.

spronk

FPS noob

crazy cast
Daniel Craig (James Bond)
Chris Evans (Americas Ass)
Ana de Armas (hottie from Blade Runner 2049)
Jamie Lee Curtis
Toni Collette (Hereditary)
Michael Shannon (Zod, Boardwalk Empire!)
Don Johnson
Emmet Walsh
LaKeith Stanfield
Christopher Plummer

There are early previews this weekend (22-24) at 7pm at select theaters, wide open in a week or two. I'm seeing it tonight and will report back. On the one hand I fucking DESPISE Rian Johnson for what he did to Star Wars with Last Jedi, on the other hand this kind of murder mystery movie and cast is completely right up my alley.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love it that Don Johnson is getting work. He was great in Brawl in Cellblock 99 and Dragged across Concrete. Great work in the new Watchmen show too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
TLJ was fucked up, but all of his other movies have been pretty good. Brick is one of my favorites, Looper was pretty good, and he directed the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad. Dude has talent, but apparently no understanding or appreciation for Star Wars.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
TLJ was fucked up, but all of his other movies have been pretty good. Brick is one of my favorites, Looper was pretty good, and he directed the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad. Dude has talent, but apparently no understanding or appreciation for Star Wars.
He also directed the worst BB episode. Goddamned fly episode.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
what if rian johnson purposefully tanked TLJ to get all the fans to hate star wars because he knew it's what needed to happen for kathleen kennedy to stop messing with it all.

rian johnson isn't the hero we deserve, he's the hero we need.

i wish i could wtf, salty, and picardfacepalm my own post.

• 3Picard
  • 2WTF
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 9 users

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this last nite, 6.5/10. Its a movie you don't see as much anymore, an adult movie that talks a lot and talks fast and has long scenes you have to pay attention to. Its a great date night or take-the-family movie, no violence nudity or sex (bummer). My wife liked it a lot more than me, while I didn't hate it or get bored it felt like I was kinda watching a sped up stage play honestly. The cast is amazing but they are each in it for such short quick bursts that I never really truly liked any of the performances, it all felt over directed or a bit stiff or something, dunno. You spend most of your time with Ana Armas and Daniel Craig and both were fine but neither really stood out to me.

A mediocre movie all around, Rian Johnson like M Night seems to be a bit of a one trick pony in that all his movies are about subverting tropes and deconstructing genres and this isn't much different, this subverts the classic noir/murder mystery movie and does it competently I guess but I dunno, I like movies like Murder on the Orient Express or Clue and this wasn't nuts enough to subvert well and it played it straight enough that it wasn't that unique. I suppose you could say it puts a heavy American spin on the genre.

There is a bit of politics involved, just one or two quick 2 minute scenes but they all just play the cliches, the rich liberal women who pretend to care but are selfish - Tony Collette from Heriditary plays a fantastic mockery of Gwenneth Paltrow - and the rich men (Don Johnson) who spout off about working hard in America while never having worked a day in their life. Its not much in the movie but it doesn't really say anything interesting or different either. Terms like SJW, cuck, nazi, alt right, etc are thrown about a few times.

Not really worth a watch in theaters unless you have to see something in the next few weeks and don't wanna see Frozen 2, Parasite, Jumanji 2 (3 weeks), or the new Mr. Rogers movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's weird, because he already did a movie that subverted the noir/mystery genre, and did it really well. Not clear why he's going back to the well. Although, I haven't seen this one, it may be suitably different to stand on it's own.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw this last nite, 6.5/10. Its a movie you don't see as much anymore, an adult movie that talks a lot and talks fast and has long scenes you have to pay attention to. Its a great date night or take-the-family movie, no violence nudity or sex (bummer). My wife liked it a lot more than me, while I didn't hate it or get bored it felt like I was kinda watching a sped up stage play honestly. The cast is amazing but they are each in it for such short quick bursts that I never really truly liked any of the performances, it all felt over directed or a bit stiff or something, dunno. You spend most of your time with Ana Armas and Daniel Craig and both were fine but neither really stood out to me.

A mediocre movie all around, Rian Johnson like M Night seems to be a bit of a one trick pony in that all his movies are about subverting tropes and deconstructing genres and this isn't much different, this subverts the classic noir/murder mystery movie and does it competently I guess but I dunno, I like movies like Murder on the Orient Express or Clue and this wasn't nuts enough to subvert well and it played it straight enough that it wasn't that unique. I suppose you could say it puts a heavy American spin on the genre.

There is a bit of politics involved, just one or two quick 2 minute scenes but they all just play the cliches, the rich liberal women who pretend to care but are selfish - Tony Collette from Heriditary plays a fantastic mockery of Gwenneth Paltrow - and the rich men (Don Johnson) who spout off about working hard in America while never having worked a day in their life. Its not much in the movie but it doesn't really say anything interesting or different either. Terms like SJW, cuck, nazi, alt right, etc are thrown about a few times.

Not really worth a watch in theaters unless you have to see something in the next few weeks and don't wanna see Frozen 2, Parasite, Jumanji 2 (3 weeks), or the new Mr. Rogers movie.
100 percent agree. Thanks for writing all of this out for me

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I give it 7/10, pretty average quality movie

acting was good all around. really liked Daniel Craig's character

much better than the last Rian Johnson film I saw:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I don’t have anything against (or really know anything about) Rian Johnson as I don’t give a shit about Star Wars in any capacity, and if he’s controversial for any other reasons I’m kinda out of the loop on most things pop culture...

With that in mind, I thought this was a smart, fun, well done whodunit. Cool Poirot vibes.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Saw this just now.

Bunch of SJW bullshit and the story sucks. Don't give these cocksuckers your money

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Saw this just now.

Bunch of SJW bullshit and the story sucks. Don't give these cocksuckers your money

There was really no SJW anything of substance in this movie at all. If there were I wouldn’t have liked it either. If you’re offended because of the light immigrant / illegal plot line that’s a silly one but I get it. Even with the “Nazi kid” it was more funny than it was admonishing.

But there really isn’t anything SJW heavy here.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
There was really no SJW anything of substance in this movie at all. If there were I wouldn’t have liked it either. If you’re offended because of the light immigrant / illegal plot line that’s a silly one but I get it. Even with the “Nazi kid” it was more funny than it was admonishing.

But there really isn’t anything SJW heavy here.

"light immigrant plotline"?

The protagonist of the whole movie is an alien (i dont quite remember if she is also illegal). The possible deportation of her illegal alien mother and her motivating reason for doing a lot of things that she does is a major plot device.

not to mention the regularly occurring stabs at "alt-right trolls" and "Nazis"

this whole movie is basically a glorification of illegals.

spronk

FPS noob
Marta is legal, her mom is illegal and that dichotomy is one of the central plots. RJ has said the movie is a pro-immigration movie so can't really argue against that

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
there is a scene in the movie where the family gets drunk at a party and eventually starts arguing about illegals. all the "asshole" family members as they have been portrayed in the movie for the first hour take the pro-borders stance, but there is one leach that moans in hysterics about "kids in cages".

but sure, not SJW at all. the only thing missing was everyone wearing red clown noses.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database