LAN? Recommendations, post-mortems, etc

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Was wondering if anyone does the LAN party thing anymore or with any regularity? My friends and I appear to be starting to prepare for what will be our 2nd annual January LAN so we're starting to get a feel for what games we need to have keys for (you know, cause we're older and all our LANs are legal since it's easier to buy them off of Steam than bother pirating) so we can keep an eye out for Steam/Amazon/etc sales.

Who's still doing stuff like this, what games do you prefer? We tend to lean heavily towards cooperative games (SWAT, Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander vs AI, Tower Defense, Terraria, Killing Floor), with occasional team vs team or competitive stuff (Awesomenauts, Flatout 2). Looking forward to tryingDamnedthe next LAN, especially if we can make sure everyone's got headphones and a mic.

Looks like we'll probably give Path of Exile a shot, and there are some early access and other titles we're going to attempt likeTerrorhedronandArtemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

Figured I'd start a thread about this, and post what worked/didn't on our LAN next month, if others do the same it could be interesting. Or the thread will just die, no biggie. /shrug.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Free:
Track Mania
Alien Swarm
8bit MMO
Dungeonland(maybe)
No more room in hell
Tribes Ascend
Blood Line Champions
There is also a shooter out there, cartoony with huge amount of gunz you can customize with interesting results but I forget the name.

Not Free Steam:
Magicka(so much chaos and even more hilarious in person) This is my pick, and onHumble Jumbo Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)right now for one more day. So is Sanctum(4 player) and orcs must die(2 players)
Left4dead
Chivalry
BloodBowl
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine(amazing once people learn the roles)
Worms

GOG.com
Two Worlds(love it or hate it though)
Fallout Tactics

Not Free on Steam most recent with 4 players:
Dead Sky
Tiny Brains
Risk of Rain
Forced
Payday 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Starcraft 2, Age of Empires 2 HD, but you will probably run into people having vastly different skill levels

UT 2004 with correctly picked bots can be a blast in Onslaught.

Diablo 2 naked HC runs, who runs the furthest!

How many people are coming ? If you have 5, LoL/Dota 2 can be great, just decide whether you want to win or just fuck around and that all of you are ok with that.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Still figuring that out, probably end up with 5-6 at all times, as many as 7-8 I'm guessing.

We've all played so much Supreme Commander that Starcraft is really claustrophobic actually, heh. It's been a while since we've done WC3 tower defense, but that absolutely took over a few LANs. We've since enjoyed games like Tower Wars and Sanctum, leading us to Terrorhedron

Anyone play Serious Sam 3 co-op? 15 players sounds kinda ridiculous for any FPS game, lol. It's part of the current Humble Bundle, seems like a no-brainer, especially w/ it including Magika, Sanctum and Natural Selection 2.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Serious Sam 3 was fun co-op. Alien Swarm and No More Room in Hell would both be kickass titles for a lan.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rayman Legacy/Origins are both great for 4-player controller fun (it's local so only one key needed, need tv/big screen + 4 controllers though). Both are usually on sale during Steam sales.

At my last LAN party, League of Legends, Diablo 3, CS:GO, and some other military shooter (BF4 or whatever CoD we're on) were the big things with some Natural Selection 2 mixed in. If you don't have like 10+ people I don't see those competitive shoters working though.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Still figuring that out, probably end up with 5-6 at all times, as many as 7-8 I'm guessing.

We've all played so much Supreme Commander that Starcraft is really claustrophobic actually, heh. It's been a while since we've done WC3 tower defense, but that absolutely took over a few LANs. We've since enjoyed games like Tower Wars and Sanctum, leading us to Terrorhedron

Anyone play Serious Sam 3 co-op? 15 players sounds kinda ridiculous for any FPS game, lol. It's part of the current Humble Bundle, seems like a no-brainer, especially w/ it including Magika, Sanctum and Natural Selection 2.
Play Dota or League and hate your friends forever.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Brief post-mortem from our LAN:

Good games:
Payday 2 - fun when we were down to 4 at certain parts of the LAN. Played enough for people to get to level 4-6
Warcraft 3 Tower Defense - Our old standby, this consumed most of one evening with 6+ players
Dungeon Defenders - Fun, but for the 6+ player maps they start at like wave 7, crushing all of us with level 1 players, so we spent a couple hours learning the game and leveling in smaller group(s), got to level ~10-12 and then still got crushed. People a little annoyed they had to buy a handful of DLC just to play.
Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator: You've gotta be a pretty big nerd to enjoy this, concept was interesting at least.

Meh games:
Contagion: Kinda fun, but lack of better direction was a detriment to local LAN play and got people annoyed/bored
Insurgency: Fun, but had some impatient people, we meant to get back to it but didn't.
Damned: Fun, but had people without headsets/mics, and our monitor setup wasn't too conducive to 4 vs 1 play. Humans actually won for the first time in a game, but it took someone who'd never played before being the Lurker (so he didn't know the map or where we started like me or others would have focused on) for it to happen.

Games we planned/considered playing but didn't get to:
- Path of Exile
- Terrorheadron

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I can say without hesitation UT on CTF-Facing Worlds is the most fun you will ever have at a LAN. It will lead to more good natured shit talking that can believe. I sniped a buddy across the map and through the most awful luck ever he respawned in the same spot 5-6 times in a row, each time he was alive for half a second before I put another one in his dome.

Basically if the game leads to laughing your asses off and non stop shit talking, it's pure LAN gold.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
We played a bit of Unreal Tournament at a LAN several years ago and it was a blast, we're a bit more co-op focused and less competitive though in our old (35, hah) age.

LAN just wrapping up now, concluding with a few hours of Sanctum 2, as solid as it's predecessor.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
Few recommendations my group enjoys:

God Mode (coop shooter)
Forced (one-to four-player co-op arcade action RPG with puzzle and tactical elements)
SC2 customs. Not in a sense that you initially think. The game mode basically sets enforced rules with brief instructions pre-game. Think mario partyesq