CNC (Lasers, Routers, Etc)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just finished prepping these 3 for engraving. I'm going to make 3x tables approx 44in x 18in that go right in front of our big windows, in the "map room", so the homeboss can put potted plants on them. All from 1786.
__01.jpg
__02.jpg
__03.jpg

I ordered some of these to try for a different table, too. If they look good, i'll probably use shorter ones for these 3x map tables.
1622147221457.png

And I'm biting the bullet on a router table this weekend so I'm hoping I can step it up a notch on these. We'll see, since I still think I need a planer to really get where I want to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My wife's friend is throwing a birthday for her daughter's sweet 16 today, and apparently she's a huge 2pac fan, so she wanted to make her 2pac earrings. So I just set this up and she's going to whip up a set of earrings real quick before heading over this afternoon.
1622304202916.png

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My wife's friend is throwing a birthday for her daughter's sweet 16 today, and apparently she's a huge 2pac fan, so she wanted to make her 2pac earrings. So I just set this up and she's going to whip up a set of earrings real quick before heading over this afternoon.
View attachment 355881
Should make a set of these too

66C7A564-41CF-46A8-A1C7-C8655EAC9FD6.jpeg

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, I am looking at getting into this in combination with my other Tinkering/Making hobbies (3d printing, and metal casting).

Are there any good recommendations, or anybody currently using, a multi purpose tool in this area? I'd like one which could accomplish the following.
  • Laser engraving of flat things like wood.
  • Laser engraving of tubular things like Yeti tumblers (this looks like an add-on device you get for most laser engravers/cutters)
  • Laser wood cutting.
  • General CNC work.
I have seen a couple devices where you have a CNC spindle/router that you can swap out for a laser module. But looking for someone with first hand experience in the area?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only feedback I have on that is I would not get something that does both router/spindle work that you can swap out for a laser as needs arise. I have an XCarve (cnc router) separate and the amount of times I have to reallign that because of hard knots in wood or it running into something/bit getting dull etc makes me cringe when I think about laser accuracy. Same feedback for those 3 in one 3d printer/cnc/laser machines, you are infinitely better off getting one dedicated one for each if you really want to.

For that matter, what is it you'd want to make with a cnc router you couldn't do with a laser? Are you going to get into 3d-ish v-carve style routing? If not, you could just get a laser and save the extreme noise headache (albeit you get to deal with burning smell instead).

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Only feedback I have on that is I would not get something that does both router/spindle work that you can swap out for a laser as needs arise. I have an XCarve (cnc router) separate and the amount of times I have to reallign that because of hard knots in wood or it running into something/bit getting dull etc makes me cringe when I think about laser accuracy. Same feedback for those 3 in one 3d printer/cnc/laser machines, you are infinitely better off getting one dedicated one for each if you really want to.

For that matter, what is it you'd want to make with a cnc router you couldn't do with a laser? Are you going to get into 3d-ish v-carve style routing? If not, you could just get a laser and save the extreme noise headache (albeit you get to deal with burning smell instead).

Well, my desire for a multi-use device is mostly that I am a little limited on workshop space. As for why also a CNC... One of the thing used often in metalcasting are graphite molds. The easiest way to make your own graphite molds is to get blocks of graphite and use a CNC (and if you don't hate yourself one with a vacuum/skirt built into it). I would also like to be able to do some carving, mostly for tinkering on things like making customer wooden moldwork/trim for cabinets/carpentry fun.

Example :

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Makes sense, I have no idea how a laser would work against graphite as I've never thought to look. Maybe a co2 or fiber laser could do that too and still save you the hassle? You could still get a stand alone router to do molding & trim/whatever else and hang that on a wall.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Whats a good neutral, meme picture that works with a solid black & white engrave? I want to do a bamboo cutting board with epoxy inlay

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Favorite cutting board I ever did was just a B&W picture of wolverine, seemed fitting for a cutting board. Didn't know they made food safe epoxy to put on, that'd certainly make sealing them easier.

For meme's, I don't know why but a B&W version of this guy on a cutting board seems like it'd make me laugh the most. Given how many food products resemble a dick

1629584770876.png

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Favorite cutting board I ever did was just a B&W picture of wolverine, seemed fitting for a cutting board. Didn't know they made food safe epoxy to put on, that'd certainly make sealing them easier.

For meme's, I don't know why but a B&W version of this guy on a cutting board seems like it'd make me laugh the most. Given how many food products resemble a dick

View attachment 368422
This made me laugh
imageedit_1_5176155352.jpg

I'm afraid it needs to be more of a cutout/ucon/ transparent background thing. I'll see if I can come up with something for this though

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well I finally finished these up. I'm happy with the learning process as I went through it and they're halfway decent, but not terrible happy with the final product. I just made too many blunders with the coatings. Fucked up the first 2 layers of poly and it was all downhill from there.
MicrosoftTeams-image (26).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (30).jpg

Since I don't think they're good enough to sell, we're just going to put them in front of the (dirty) windows and fill them up with plants over the winter.
MicrosoftTeams-image (32).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (33).jpg

And here's the next one that I started.
1631629372132.png

Tester.png

MicrosoftTeams-image (31).jpg

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any way you can get tiles that aren't rounded over at the edges so you can line them up perfectly? That's the only jarring thing to me, with spacers/groute leaving blanks in an otherwise cool image.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Any way you can get tiles that aren't rounded over at the edges so you can line them up perfectly? That's the only jarring thing to me, with spacers/groute leaving blanks in an otherwise cool image.
I have a few tiles I've been trying to find the right settings for that aren't beveled. From what I can tell, you're going to use grout no matter what though. I think people still use 1/16" grout lines on those types of tiles. I've been using 1/8", and they go up to 1/4". This is the first time i've ever done any tile though, so open to input from anyone that's done it a lot.

I honestly don't mind the seam lines though. To me, it feels more like a table with an image on it versus something that isn't a table being made into a table. Not sure if that makes sense.

I have to redo the first 16 tiles though because I fucked up the image alignment on them. I prepped that file in about 20 minutes at the end of the work day and was so focused on centering one of the pyramids that I didn't realize I was barely off the image on the bottom left. I was bummed out when I saw that last night. I think I'm going to try to fix it by painting a solid black band around the outside. I almost threw all of them in the garbage because I'm tired of working my way out of a hole, but figured I'd see what I can do with them.
1631632476416.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Work in progress, but I wanted to post this so I could post a few lessons learned.

1. 1.5mm line width is just about as small as I should go for resin inlay.
2. For the first time ever, I can finally sand resin without gunking up my sander in 5 seconds. It's because I baked it at 170 degrees for about 10 minutes, then turned off the heat and left it in the oven for 4 hours. No problem sanding it now.
3. Don't listen to my wife on the color mix/Micah powder.
4. I should have filled in the knot with wood filler before lasering.

This is for one of our teaming partners in a big project (who worked for my company before going and starting his own). He loves the Drone mapping i do on their projects and always chats me up when I come out for the quarterly flights. I started talking to him about the topo maps and tables I've been making on my laser and he asked if I'd want to make something for a rural property he owns. I told him I still have a big table (pyramids of egypt) that I need to finish up when the weather gets warmer, but I've been wanting to try resin inlayed contours for awhile and would try it on his property. I was going to do a cutting board, but his property is a perfect square and I couldn't think of anything I had where a square would make sense. Also, I'm not artistic enough or good enough at graphics to figure out something that would work with a rectangular cutting board. Had some ideas like placing text on the side with a legal description and lat/lon stuff, but I didn't want to spend too much time on the file.

First resin coat was warmed up and mixed in the house, then poured in the cold garage. It turned peanut butter thickness as soon as I spread it on the cold wood. 2nd coat was all done inside and spread out much more evenly. I still have pockets from air bubbles in there, but I'm wondering how many of them were caused by me rolling the resin with a foam roller after it had been in the oven for 10 minutes. By that point, it had gotten pretty thick and I'm thinking I may have actually pulled some out of the inlay lines. Going to try a 3rd coat today.

Screenshot_20220109-090005_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220109-085947_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220109-085923_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Minwax aged oak on, going for high gloss poly after this dries. The dark blue really jumps out under the light, so I'm thinking high gloss is the way to go.
Screenshot_20220109-155223_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Heres an idea if you come up short on converting from layers to gcode:.

If the site he uses doesn't have your topography, you can use the same process by making a greyscale image of your layers.
Thanks @whoo

There was some good tips in there and this is sure as hell easier than the way I was going to do it. The site the guy showed in his video has the option to upload a kml for extents, too.
*mesh files from this site are huge, around 55mb. waiting for it to load still, but I'm guessing it's a higher sample spacing than the one below. I'll edit in a picture when it loads.
edit - here's a screenshot of this bigass mesh
1649221052293.png

Here's another I found - Terrain2STL
1649221060809.png

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Principal engineer at work told me last week to register an LLC and he'll give me a check for 5k, no strings attached.
Then he pulled me in his office this morning and said "seriously. 5k. 50k. More is possible."
His wife builds and sells businesses and they really want a side project. We'll see if this goes anywhere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Working on learning Fusion360, bit by bit.

This is just a mesh of Mt Tabor, merged with what would be the edge of a 24in coffee table. Void would be filled with clear resin.
Still trying to figure out how to stamp text and stuff into the surface mesh.

MtTabor.png

1650498571060.png