Lawyer costs question

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
After the holidays are over i'm planning on getting a lawyer to try and take care of my violation of probation issue in NC. Anyone know what kind of costs i'm going to be looking at (guesstimate) so I can make sure I can even afford it before I start looking for one?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
After the holidays are over i'm planning on getting a lawyer to try and take care of my violation of probation issue in NC. Anyone know what kind of costs i'm going to be looking at (guesstimate) so I can make sure I can even afford it before I start looking for one?
Lawyer fees for probation violation
Criminal defense attorneys on average cost between $3500 and $4500 nationwide, but multiple factors affect the total cost of legal services.

but of course we have Cad Cad too!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
but of course we have Cad Cad too!

No idea, I don't really do criminal law, you couldn't pay me enough. I did a few criminal trials back in law school and have friends who went to the ADA that I hear their war stories, other than that... nope.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well if that $3500-$4500 is anywhere close to accurate then I guess i'ma have a warrant out for the rest of my life, lol. Maybe i'll be able to get a non-shit job that won't do a background check. That's more than it would cost me to take a month off work, fly out there, do my 10 days in jail and fly back.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well if that $3500-$4500 is anywhere close to accurate then I guess i'ma have a warrant out for the rest of my life, lol. Maybe i'll be able to get a non-shit job that won't do a background check. That's more than it would cost me to take a month off work, fly out there, do my 10 days in jail and fly back.

Is it extraditeable? Might be able to get yourself a nice little vacation out of it.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
They aren't extraditing me for it, no. It's a misdemeanor possession charge. They haven't wanted to extradite me any time I've ever been stopped by the cops (once in Ohio cause I was walking home from the bar wasted, they gave me a ride home instead!) and 732108573028 times in Florida for "I haven't seen you around here before" or "you're probably gonna get pulled over again up the road" (cause I was walking down the sidewalk... and had like 4 miles left to get home...)

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seems like they'd let a cost conscious criminal like yourself do you jail time at the local jail and save yourself the hassle of flying to jail. There are free legal consultations (call in) for people that can't afford lawyers you may try to get an approach, i can't imagine having a warrant is a good long term plan.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like they'd let a cost conscious criminal like yourself do you jail time at the local jail and save yourself the hassle of flying to jail. There are free legal consultations (call in) for people that can't afford lawyers you may try to get an approach, i can't imagine having a warrant is a good long term plan.
I'm curious why you think long term planning has ever been part of Wizardhawk's life.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm curious why you think long term planning has ever been part of Wizardhawk's life.

He's a big trump supporter who has shown interest in a border wall to keep criminals out so that he doesn't have to share a cell, I'd say that's long term planning.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
honestly, call up the DA and have a chat with them. see if you can't work something out man to man. what can it hurt but your pride? explain your situation, why you've been hesitant to miss work and get it taken care of. being willing to face it might earn you some points.

they haven't wanted to extradite you yet, it's not like you're gonna end up on his agro list.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
wait, extradition within US states is a thing? I just assumed if you have a warrant in Florida, you can get busted in Washington for it? I assume NC here stands for North Carolina?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
wait, extradition within US states is a thing? I just assumed if you have a warrant in Florida, you can get busted in Washington for it? I assume NC here stands for North Carolina?

No. When a warrant is created, they put what kind of extradition they want it to be associated with. Can be neighboring jurisdictions, in-state, neighboring states, or full extradition.
It's not worth the time or resources to arrest someone in California and ship them to Maine for not paying a traffic ticket.

zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk If you haven't already, I'd suggest calling the court the warrant is out of to see an alternative way of taking care of it. Maybe just convert it into a fine and set up a payment plan. Don't know about NC, but in NV they'd prefer everyone to take care of misdemeanors that way just to keep the system moving

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This is an interesting post. All I can say is good luck. I look forward to reading about the resolution, if you do ever find one.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
No. When a warrant is created, they put what kind of extradition they want it to be associated with. Can be neighboring jurisdictions, in-state, neighboring states, or full extradition.
It's not worth the time or resources to arrest someone in California and ship them to Maine for not paying a traffic ticket.

zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk If you haven't already, I'd suggest calling the court the warrant is out of to see an alternative way of taking care of it. Maybe just convert it into a fine and set up a payment plan. Don't know about NC, but in NV they'd prefer everyone to take care of misdemeanors that way just to keep the system moving

I wasn't sure if this was actually possible. Sounds like a better option for me than trying to have a lawyer do it for me considering my financial status. Would I contact the clerk of courts or would I need to get in touch with somebody else?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I wasn't sure if this was actually possible. Sounds like a better option for me than trying to have a lawyer do it for me considering my financial status. Would I contact the clerk of courts or would I need to get in touch with somebody else?

They'll either be able to take care of it or will transfer you to someone who can. Should be a routine thing they deal with all the time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
Call on Monday. They will be super happy you did.

In all seriousness Ambiturner Ambiturner is correct. Call the clerk and they will get you moving in a direction to fix this. Or they will get pissed and change this to a nationwide pickup. Then the marshals SOG will come wreck your shit.