Life on Mars

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Life on Mars

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2006-01-09

Creator: Ashley Pharoah, Matthew Graham, Tony Jordan

Cast: John Simm, Philip Glenister, Liz White, Dean Andrews, Marshall Lancaster, Noreen Kershaw, William Atkinson

Overview: A detective chief inspector from 2006 is investigating a serial killer when he is knocked over by a speeding car. Waking up, he finds himself mysteriously transported back in time to 1973. Initially struggling to come to terms with his situation, he has to come to terms with the old-fashioned technology and attitude of the day, while figuring out how he came to be trapped in the past.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OMG-- this show is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Never seen anything quite like it. Supernatural combined with sci-fi combined with police procedural.

Just FANTSTIC. I am 5 episodes in and I am LOVING this show. Super well thought out and really amazing for a retro show. Those Brits really know how to craft some smart TV!

iannis

Musty Nester
I think it might be the same one? First aired 2006.

And with a name / synopsis mismatch like that... it's not too hard to reason out why it got canceled quickly. People will actually get mad, you try to trick them that blatantly.

It might even be an OK show, never heard of it. But that title...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think it might be the same one? First aired 2006.

And with a name / synopsis mismatch like that... it's not too hard to reason out why it got canceled quickly. People will actually get mad, you try to trick them that blatantly.

It might even be an OK show, never heard of it. But that title...

It's not the same one, and the name comes from the David Bowie song

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
That still doesn't matter if it was a show for popular consumption.

Life on Mars. What do you think it's going to be about? Ziggy Stardust? Or... you know... Mars?

It's just not a good title. You get good shows with a complete shit title sometimes. Maniac springs to mind.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Yes-- it is an old show. 2006. Just found it. Yes, there was an attempt at a US "revision" of it, but it got cancelled and I don't think that the US market could handle the subtle sophisticated things (no spoilers) going on in the original.

PLUS- the music is amazing too. Guess the UK market doesn't have to bankrupt itself to pplay songs in the background of their shows. Watch it. It's on Amazon Prime (Brit channel) and BBC America. It's really deep, funny, emotional, rough and tumble, sexist, melancholic and touching (and at times cute). Ah, when men were men and women were women...

The title comes from the song that was playing when Sam, the major character, has a car accident. Yes, the David Bowie one. Not a spoiler-- it's in the show opening credits.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
This show is amazing. The US version was pretty good, "but was too out there", and got cancelled as was said. UK version is still out there, might even be better. YMMV.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The American version had Gretchen Mol in a cop uniform going for it though

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Favorite quote so far:

Gene: I think you've forgotten who you're talking to.
Sam: An overweight, over-the-hill, nicotine-stained, borderline alcoholic homophobe with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding.
Gene: You make that sound like a bad thing.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Holyshit! There was a spinoff called Ashes to Ashes...

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This show was great TV, loved Philip Glenister in the original BBC version. Ashes to Ashes was also good.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database