LitRPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to separate this out into it's own thread to maybe encourage some direction.

I basically only listen to audio books (who has time to read?!) these days so that's a thing. I'm mostly looking for some recommendations on what's out there. I like long series, bonus if it's finished or got a good chunk of books out already. Things below I've gotten into and thoughts. Funny enough, I don't think any of these are absolutely amazing, for the most part it's just enjoyable entertainment.

The Completionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout. Enjoyable enough, and I really like the narrator. He kind of reminds me of RC Bray. I burned through the 6 books on Audible pretty fast. These remind me the most of an EQ type setting, but with a world of possibilities that would be opened by an AI running something.

Andrew Rowe - The War of Broken Mirrors, Arcane Ascension, and Weapons and Wielders. The 3 different series in the same universe, still works in progress. I think he's creating the most interesting world out of a lot of the stuff I've gone through.

Travis Bagwell - Awaken Online. I really enjoyed the first couple books. The AI interaction and Deity stuff was neat. I struggled around book 4 or 5 and stopped and haven't returned, although I intend to. The real world stuff kind of took me off the rails and was less enjoyable.

Dave Willmarth - The Greystone Chronicles. I didn't get too far into this simply because when I started it I think there was only 2 books, and I just haven't gotten back into it yet. It's one that has a group of narrators, and they are pretty awesome. The romance stuff is a little eye roll, but the world building is solid.

Robert Bevan - Critical Failures. Lots of immature humor that to me was just fun, though I could see it not being for everyone

So what's out there, what am I missing that I should take a look at

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to separate this out into it's own thread to maybe encourage some direction.

I basically only listen to audio books (who has time to read?!) these days so that's a thing. I'm mostly looking for some recommendations on what's out there. I like long series, bonus if it's finished or got a good chunk of books out already. Things below I've gotten into and thoughts. Funny enough, I don't think any of these are absolutely amazing, for the most part it's just enjoyable entertainment.

The Completionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout. Enjoyable enough, and I really like the narrator. He kind of reminds me of RC Bray. I burned through the 6 books on Audible pretty fast. These remind me the most of an EQ type setting, but with a world of possibilities that would be opened by an AI running something.

Andrew Rowe - The War of Broken Mirrors, Arcane Ascension, and Weapons and Wielders. The 3 different series in the same universe, still works in progress. I think he's creating the most interesting world out of a lot of the stuff I've gone through.

Travis Bagwell - Awaken Online. I really enjoyed the first couple books. The AI interaction and Deity stuff was neat. I struggled around book 4 or 5 and stopped and haven't returned, although I intend to. The real world stuff kind of took me off the rails and was less enjoyable.

Dave Willmarth - The Greystone Chronicles. I didn't get too far into this simply because when I started it I think there was only 2 books, and I just haven't gotten back into it yet. It's one that has a group of narrators, and they are pretty awesome. The romance stuff is a little eye roll, but the world building is solid.

Robert Bevan - Critical Failures. Lots of immature humor that to me was just fun, though I could see it not being for everyone

So what's out there, what am I missing that I should take a look at
Project Hail Mary was fantastic as an audiobook. Highly recommend. Everyone I’ve recommended it to whether they read it or listened really loved it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I audible the Greystone chronicles. Too much cheese imo, but the quality of teh production was nice

BrysB

Trakanon Raider
He who fights with montsers, series by Shirtaloon is good. There is 3 books out and book 4 is supposed to come out at the end of the year. Book 3 just came out in September, he seems to be cranking them out every 3-4 months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
He who fights with montsers, series by Shirtaloon is good. There is 3 books out and book 4 is supposed to come out at the end of the year. Book 3 just came out in September, he seems to be cranking them out every 3-4 months.
He's published the series first on RR (Royal Road) plus Patreon. On RR, we've just finished book 7 (Arc #3, book 1), book 8 starts next week (it's already started on Patreon).

Note - unless you've got some of the interlude chapters with book 3, in which case it should be obvious immediately...
Book 4-6 occur on Earth

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm a huge sucker for litrpg, it's triggers all my endorphins from a lifetime of competitive MMO without actually playing the game. It doesn't even need to be a good book, I'm listening to count of monte cristo now and can't wait till it's over so i can go back to some garbage litrpg.

Completionist chronicles are my fav, but i also read divine dungeon and artorians archives. Next is probably dungeon crawler carl

If you like EQ and litrpg, i recommend ascend online which is has a ton of EQ references. The primary area is basically the commonlands, especially in the first book. One of the primary factions are crushbone orcs, it's so blatant.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dungeon Crawler Carl is a great LitRPG series so far. I highly suggest giving it a listen as an audiobook, the narrator is fantastic.

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I recently finished up Awaken Online 5: Hellion, and I've been really enjoying it. It's tons of game stuff, but they are bringing in outside world stuff in an interesting manner. I just started Awaken Online Side Quest: Happy. Not that any LitRPG is great, but for the category this series is pretty good. I'd follow the recommended reading order if you do go through it.

I'm still enjoying Andrew Rowe's stuff as well.

After I finish Happy I'm probably going to figure out where I left off with Ascend Online or maybe The Greystone Chronicles

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I recently finished up Awaken Online 5: Hellion, and I've been really enjoying it. It's tons of game stuff, but they are bringing in outside world stuff in an interesting manner. I just started Awaken Online Side Quest: Happy. Not that any LitRPG is great, but for the category this series is pretty good. I'd follow the recommended reading order if you do go through it.

I'm still enjoying Andrew Rowe's stuff as well.

After I finish Happy I'm probably going to figure out where I left off with Ascend Online or maybe The Greystone Chronicles
Happy was way better than I expected. The crew in this book is the most enjoyable of all the Awaken Online books so far

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I generally like Dakota Krout and this one he started is pretty excellent.. Its a play on the DND murderhobo trope as our titular hero in this case has a specific set of abilities that make murderhoboing very ideal for adventuring. As he absorbs all weapons, armor, and so on into himself in order to always have them available.

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I generally like Dakota Krout and this one he started is pretty excellent.. Its a play on the DND murderhobo trope as our titular hero in this case has a specific set of abilities that make murderhoboing very ideal for adventuring. As he absorbs all weapons, armor, and so on into himself in order to always have them available.
I'll have to give it a listen. I liked the Completionist Chronicles and would like to see him do more there

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

The second one in the series just came out, and it's, of course, called "Anything".
Murderhobo slaughtering evil My Little Ponies is best Murderhobo.
I'm sure Dakota Krout had just read some Charles Stross for those.
Can you guess the last title of the trilogy?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I've enjoyed the Good Guys saga by Eric Ugland on Audible, perfectly narrated by Neil Hellegers.

Very light, lots of humor. Nothing extremely deep, and easy to blow through lots of hours. I've finished book 11.

The same author does the Bad Guys saga, but I haven't checked it out yet.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Also just started The First Defier. It's not bad.

It took its time on RR finding the right style. Brink did switch from a pure litrpg to a cultivation/litrpg hybrid after a few chapters.

I dropped the series when he did a fridging. That's a mostly unforgivable sin in narration nowadays.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It took its time on RR finding the right style. Brink did switch from a pure litrpg to a cultivation/litrpg hybrid after a few chapters.

I dropped the series when he did a fridging. That's a mostly unforgivable sin in narration nowadays.
What's fridging again?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's fridging again?
Having the MC get a girlfriend, only for her to be killed (almost immediately) by a bad guy to provide some revenge plot.

The original movie that gave the name to the trope was the hero finding her stuffed into his fridge.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I think Wandering Inn has the first few volumes as audio books ?

I can't comment on the narrator quality, but the Wandering Inn is probably my favorite 'litrpg' storywise.

It's also written by what is, I am pretty sure, the most prolific author ever to walk the earth*, so you aren't going to run out of content any time soon.

* I am not kidding, Pirateaba's rate of output makes Stephen King look like a casual.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Is she still going out of her way to push goblins as sympathetic characters at every turn?