Logan Lucky (2017)

bralkan

The old ways are still best
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Logan Lucky

Tagline: See how the other half steals.

Genre: Comedy

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Cast: Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Daniel Craig, Riley Keough, Seth MacFarlane, Katie Holmes, Katherine Waterston, Hilary Swank, Dwight Yoakam, Sebastian Stan, Farrah Mackenzie, Brian Gleeson, Jack Quaid, David Denman, Jim O'Heir, Jesco White, Macon Blair, Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Alex Ross, Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano, Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney, Charles Halford, Sutton Johnston, Boden Johnston, Ito Aghayere, William Mark McCullough, Tom Archdeacon, Lauren Revard, Ann Mahoney, Jon Eyez, Edward Gelhaus, Jimmy Kustes, LeAnn Rimes, LA Winters

Release: 2017-08-17

Runtime: 119

Plot: Trying to reverse a family curse, brothers Jimmy and Clyde Logan set out to execute an elaborate robbery during the legendary Coca-Cola 600 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

bralkan

The old ways are still best
So good.

GoT joke and Joe Bang doing chemistry of gummy bear bombs killed me

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Saw this last night, finally. Loved it. Slow burn heist movie that does not treat the audience like morons. All the parts were well cast and acted, across the board. Started somewhat slow and just steadily picked up steam the whole way with zero flat moments. I think it will get lost in the mix of this crazy summer of movies, but this was my third favorite thing I saw this summer (tied with SM:Homecoming, but behind Guardians and Planet of the Apes). Daniel Craig and Tatum were amazing and playing well out of their normal comfort zones in this.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today (moviepass) and didn't particularly care for it. I don't think it was that good a heist movie, the main cast except for Tatum all felt "off" and not very good at portraying southern/WV folks, and I didn't really feel there was a central thread in the movie that kept any sort of pace. I thought Hitman's Bodyguard and Baby Driver were far, far, far better movies.

Daniel Craig just bothered me, I never once felt he was a southern hillbilly and the whole movie felt like it was mocking and contemptuous of its setting, not trying to honestly portray anything. I thought last year's Hell or High Water did a MUCH better job tackling a very similar subject, and i'm not even sure why they bothered making this movie after that. You'd be better off just watching Justified rather than see this movie.

Seth MacFarlane having a cameo as some energy drink guy with a TERRIBLE accent was also just weird, the entire thing felt like a bunch of actors got together and said "hey... lets make a movie that challenges our acting abilities by playing something we've never played before!!", then proceeded to do a very mediocre job at everything, rather than a casting director who tried to cast the right actors for the right part.

I have no idea how this got 93% on RT. That just blows my mind.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Well I don't think the point of the movie was to depict WV with any sort of authenticity, it was more of a Big Lebowski tone.

joz123

Potato del Grande
the whole movie felt like it was mocking and contemptuous of its setting

U7Ghu2s.gif

khalid

Unelected Mod
the whole movie felt like it was mocking and contemptuous of its setting, not trying to honestly portray anything.

I have no idea how this got 93% on RT. That just blows my mind.

Reviewers love movies that are mocking and contemptuous of rural white poor. In an exact opposite fashion of how they love movies that venerate black urban poor.

I don't think they even register that it is mocking. They seem to see it as realistic portrayal.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Not too bad of a flick, but yeah Daniel Craig and Seth McFarlane with bad accents took a bit away from the film.

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
jesus some of you have such a hardon to hate you jump to conclusions way too quick.

I live in the country. Rural Arkansas, 40 minutes from the nearest actual town over 5k in population. Most of the characters were VERY accurate to how some people act, especially when seen through a comedic lens and definitely the dumber ones, which is what they were portraying. The two bang bros (ha!) were supposed to be really dumb, Joe was the smart one. Tatum's character was very smart, just not highly educated, but he also wasn't portrayed in a negative light at all. He was a good hearted Dad that's had bad luck to that point.

Only the two idiot brothers, and some of the minor characters, were portrayed negatively really. Joe was a bit of a crazy dude, but I've met a couple 'redneck tinkerers' that have very similar personalities. Dudes that like to make miniature bombs to blow up for fun, or for target practice. The characterization was pretty accurate, just hard for me to see Bond as a redneck, so the performance was a little uneven.

The movie wasn't contemptous of the setting, it was exaggerated for comedic effect, but not by much!

I had a different issue with the movie, that the heist itself felt a bit disjointed and hard to follow. I realize that's what they were going for, but the best heist movies are ones you could watch through a 2nd time, knowing how it ends, and see all the clues towards that ending you didn't notice the first time. Ocean's 11 did this very well, showing you the SWAT van beforehand, different character's hesitant responses to details about the heist ("We need a replica of the vault" "for practice?" "something like that.."), etc..

There were also quite a few small details the filmmakers handled sloppily. Gonna spoiler them:
1) Joe Bang didn't notice the freshly dug up dirt in his yard from when they buried his money there? 2) What if one of the other firefighters had rode on the back of the truck? 3) What if someone saw Clyde and Joe, in their prison uniforms, when they got off from under the truck? Couldn't she have pulled up and parked next to the truck to minimize that?
There's more, but you get the idea. Heist films are my favorite genre, so it's likely I paid more attention to these things then the average viewer does. It didn't ruin the movie, it just kept it from being a truly great heist film. Luckily, the comedic and story elements made up for the weaker heist details to still make it a fun film overall. I do agree 93% seems a little high, but the way that score is calculated is a fresh/not fresh score. 93% of them said it was 'fresh' but they gave it a 7.5/10 when asked for a detailed rating, which matches the audience rating of 76%.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database