Losing your Job

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My department had a big reduction in force this month and I was caught in the wave. I haven't been unemployed for 17 years, not exactly sure what I should be doing just now :p

Got a house, a car payment, kids, and two week left at this job.

Any advice appreciated

• 14Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 14 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Shit, man. I'm sorry to hear. I suppose the obvious answer is update your resume and start looking!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Brutal, I'd contact my friends to see if i had any shoe ins and then if not file for unemployment and start applying. It my wife was valuable and not working I'd tell her to as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
You get severance right? Use your last two weeks for 80 hours of job hunting.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Applied to five places within the area already.

My problem is getting a foot in the door usually requires a certificate in my field, even though I have over 10 years experience.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I am a month into unemployment myself. There are days you will be stressed. Combat these feelings by looking for work every day and getting outside of the house. Go to your city/state unemployment office and take advantage of the free interview courses/resume building skills.

Good luck! (i need it too)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That explains the change in behavior. So, we can assume if you find a job you'll go back to spamming banana pictures?

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Applied to five places within the area already.

My problem is getting a foot in the door usually requires a certificate in my field, even though I have over 10 years experience.
My dad was in a similar position. When he got into his field you could do it with a state certification, but now it requires a BS minimum and a new certification. But he has like 40 years experience, so there's that. He lost his job a few years back and it was his contacts that got him a new job.

This is what drives me though, seeing that situation happen to my dad. I am always trying to stay ahead of the requirements game because of that, even if it means getting a cert I may not need just now, or this stupid ass degree I am finishing up.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Six applications out now. A few emails sent to friends.

I feel like a dick emailing friends who I haven't talked to in months.

HEY I NEED A JOB... WHATS UP?

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Echoing what others have said: milk whatever contacts you have in your industry. That's the biggest advantage you have to gaining back employment quickly. Make the "good 'ole boy" system work for you.

I was laid off back in 2011 from my job doing project management for a commercial GC when the construction industry took a nose-dive. Used my contacts with all the subcontractors I had on projects to help get my foot in the door for interviews. Also did a bunch of freelance estimating for guys that had their own business, but hated crunching takeoffs. Took a part time gig at a Lowe's to help pay the bills, and between it and the estimating I survived but it was almost 6 months until I found a decent paying gig again. The biggest reason I think I landed it was due to the fact I stayed employed in some fashion, between self-employment and part-time, that landed me the job.

Whatever you do, don't remain unemployed for more then a month or two at max, just get something, otherwise it's a huge red flag to a potential employer if you went without work for an extended period of time. It's kind of a fucked up deal, but I guess they'd rather see that you did something, even if it was suboptimal, then fail at getting hired for long while.

If I remember, you do graphic design, Bisi? See if you can dredge up some freelance gigs in the meantime. Hell, maybe even use it as an opportunity to explore starting your own business. I don't know everything about your current circumstances, but it might be something worth looking into if you have a ton of experience, but lack the certifications.

Most important thing, though, is to stay active. Get out of the house, and make certain you feel that at the end of the day you feel like you gained some ground, even if it's just a little. It's easy to get depressed about it, and so much tougher to make shit happen when stuck in that rutt.

Anyways, it's just advice based on my own experiences, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been there, and it sucks, but I hope it helps.

Good luck...

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>

Don't be. I get those messages every now and again from friends or even just random acquaintances I worked with on one project or another. I will always pass along their info (if they are qualified) and make a decent effort of at least getting them to the right people. Never bothered me before. If someone is going to give you shit or ignore you for reaching out for help in your situation, they are not a friend.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Graphic Design is just such a saturated field.

If I had any balls I'd start making funny Youtube videos for moneys.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Just do them a favor back. Point them to one of your threads in Screenshots for hours of viewing pleasure.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't be. I get those messages every now and again from friends or even just random acquaintances I worked with on one project or another. I will always pass along their info (if they are qualified) and make a decent effort of at least getting them to the right people. Never bothered me before. If someone is going to give you shit or ignore you for reaching out for help in your situation, they are not a friend.

Plus, that's a good debt for someone to be into you for.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

It works. People want to help people, especially if they can get someone competent/cool on their team instead of a random fucktard from Monster. It's awkward, but they get it.

• 2Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
As shitty as it sounds, you need to get on upwork and other freelance sites now. You can make some cash to help the transition period. I have sourced a ton of work through them.

• 1Like