Lord of the Rings Online

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
It's a good first step in crafting, but I do wish they'd just let you learn all crafting professions on one character. At first I thought that was what they were aiming for when they were talking about how people just created multiple characters to get around this. I don't see that changing if all they do is remove vocations, but still limit you to three professions. Final Fantasy ruined me with their ability to just have one fucking character be able to end up doing everything, though I'm not advocating they ditch Classes, or allow multiclassing or whatever. But secondary skills or whatever you want to call them, if people want to spend their time and effort leveling them all up, why not at this point? It isn't 2007 any more.
Agreed. I'd like to do all the crafting on a single character. At the same time, I would want to earn the right to do all crafting on one character. I want it to feel special if I do it rather than just the thing that everyone does on every character.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
What exactly is it supposed to bring to the table versus the other classes? I haven't read anything about it or know whether there's been information on it. Genuinely interested.
Here's what they posted about the mariner class for the last Bullroarer server (beta server).

The latest: This happens tonight! Starts at 6p Eastern with our private invite-only preview, then Bullroarer opens at 10:00 AM Eastern tomorrow for everyone. Bullroarer will remain open until 5pm Eastern on Friday.

This is a first preview of the upcoming Mariner class! Take a look at the Mariner and give it a run and get us your feedback this week. Here's some info:

The Mariner is a sword-wielding melee fighter who is not afraid to face opponents head-on! They have two core mechanics: Balance and Swordplay. Balance is a two-directional pip system which represents your overall combat position, where you can be balanced, leaning fore, or leaning aft. If you lean too far in either direction, you become unbalanced (with consequences!) Swordplay encompasses the fact that your combat skills give selective bonuses to other skills when used in a direct sequence. This means that after using any swordplay skill, you'll gain unique bonuses to a small number of other swordplay skills, allowing shred players to construct devastating sequences of skills.

From a role perspective, the mariner has three trait lines:
  • The Shantycaller line is a group support role focused on increasing the damage your allies deal, while also providing some defensive support and minor healing. Shanty-calling is (obviously!) focused on sea-shanties, which motivate and buoy the morale of your fellows.
  • The Duellist line is a damage dealer focused on swordplay skill combos to apply relentless pressure. The duellist is a primary damage-dealer, and forgoes much of the fellowship support available to shanty-callers and rovers in order to maximize damage output.
  • The Rover is the first new 'true' support specialization added to the game since its launch, and will allow players to CC and debuff monsters the way players are accustomed to on yellow-line Burglars and Lore-masters. Rovers focus on strange materials and concoctions to confound and impede enemies.
Class Difficulty: Advanced

Role: Offence/Support

Gameplay: Mariners are confident melee fighters who wield swords deftly to challenge the forces of evil. Mariners have an innate sense of the flow of combat, and use their balance to adjust their fighting style to best fit the moment. Mariners also know how to use combinations of individual movements to create powerful skill chains. In fellowships, Mariners can use shanties to coordinate and motivate their allies, as well as craft strange concoctions to confound and disrupt foes.

Lore: Mariners are resourceful combatants, capable of using strange devices as well as their surroundings to aid them in battle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Here's what they posted about the mariner class for the last Bullroarer server (beta server).

Thanks, that sounds pretty cool. The way they sort of diversified their classes in the game was always pretty interesting. They all just seem to have unique mechanics for whatever play style you want.

I was playing a number of years ago with some friends and I think I've got A rune keeper or whatever it's called. I never really played a healer class but I like the ability to flip flop between damage and healing. Always thought about trying to get back into the game especially now since I've got a better machine than even if it's an outdated game it still looks pretty amazing. I just don't have the damn time for an MMO. Don't even remember what server I was on or whether it's maybe been merged at this point. Think I was about to start doing stuff in Morria which I understand was pretty amazing.

Still cool to see that they're making content and supporting the game. That's definitely one of a better ones out there that has at least stood the test of time, kind of like DDO, which I enjoyed the hell out of. I'm sure if I got back into that I'd be blown away with the amount of stuff that they've added. The last so many games so little time.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Being able to get in and accomplish something in a short amount of time with when ever you find a second to do it, is one of the things I really like about this game.

I was struggling hard to manage my time and accomplish anything meaningful in Everquest. It literally was stressing me the fuck out because I didn't want to let down my friends and at the same time, I just didn't have the time to commit to the game.

Lotro gives me the ability to play a fun game AND have a real life as well at the same time. That to me is a win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I wonder what the sea shanties will be like. Can women be mariners? Isn't it bad luck to have women aboard?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I wonder what the sea shanties will be like. Can women be mariners? Isn't it bad luck to have women aboard?
You can be a black elf now, not sure they're so worried about lore anymore.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It used to be bad luck in real life, I don't know if Tolkien ever included that in his works since female elves HAD to sail in order to get to the undying lands