Lord of the Rings Online

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have you tried the stuff in this thread?

Game stuck on "Installing Pre-Reqs"

Mostly yeah, and a number of other threads found on LOTRO forums, reddit, steam forums etc. There wasn't much to uninstall/reinstall as it was just the initial 50mb download from lotro.com; launcher never gets to the point where it can download the rest of the game. Tried disabling firewall, checked that all the LOTRO shit is on firewall exceptions, checked my antivirus (ESET nod32) and couldn't notice it doing anything. Tried the "no proxy" option setting which seemed to be the fix for most people having this issue.

I'm guessing there is something wonky between my connection and the game servers but I dunno, I just have Comcast...

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What about the C++, .Net and all that other executable crap?

Not sure what you mean by that?

*that is to say not sure what you mean by those in reference to LOTRO connection issues. I was trying to launch/install via the standalone download from the lotro website, same as I did on the laptop I was using previously (which had no issues, on wifi at the house I'm at temporarily). I think all the 3rd party stuff installed automatically when launching the 50mb download from lotro.com, whereas the Steam version of the game downloads 20gigs (whole game?) and has a separate file for 3rd party programs.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Eh, nevermind, it's if the client won't run, not the pre-req problem. Are you using the standalone client or steam?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Eh, nevermind, it's if the client won't run, not the pre-req problem. Are you using the standalone client or steam?

Standalone. I initially tried the Steam version and it had the same issue. Uninstalled that, rebooted, tried the standalone (which is what I was using without issue on my laptop on a different internet connection without issue).

I'm not home now but I'm gonna try a tracert when I get back tomorrow, and maybe look at figuring out how to check out port forwarding for the modem/router I have (ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 Cable Modem / AC1750 Wi-Fi Router ).

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, if you've tried everything else, it is most likely a connection issue. Which is dumb, no excuse for an mmo patcher to have issues like this. I mean, come on, download and install, how fucking hard is it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Worst case you could always try just copying the one on your laptop to your pc over the network.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Standalone. I initially tried the Steam version and it had the same issue. Uninstalled that, rebooted, tried the standalone (which is what I was using without issue on my laptop on a different internet connection without issue).

I'm not home now but I'm gonna try a tracert when I get back tomorrow, and maybe look at figuring out how to check out port forwarding for the modem/router I have (ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 Cable Modem / AC1750 Wi-Fi Router ).
Does your laptop install still work when on your home connection?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Welp looks like my LOTRO return might be cut short. Tried downloading/installing on my desktop (been playing on a laptop while I house-sit) and every time I load the launcher it sits on "Installing Pre-Reqs" for ever without changing. Nothing I've found on Google has been of any help.

rip lotro
The patcher is so fucking bad. Like really bad.
I had it get stuck like that for me a few times I just redid the patch. May have even did a clean install cant remember 100%. But Yeah its annoying

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I've tried everything at this point. Turning off firewalls on router and windows, port forwarding, tracerts show fine, etc. I'm at a loss. I can't even get to the point where the damn game downloads/installs.

Last thing I'm going to try tomorrow is to bring my laptop I was playing on fine elsewhere and connect to the wifi and see if it loads on that.

I see a chargeback of my month sub in my near future.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I just tried to load the game on my laptop (which I was previously playing on without issue but on a different internet connection) and I'm getting the exact same issue. I'm gonna say this narrows it down to being a connection problem, likely specifically my router/modem (ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem / AC1750 Wi-Fi Router)

However, since I already tried disabling firewalls and adding port forwarding as suggested on the Connection Issues guide on the lotro forums, what else might I try to fix this? Do we have any network gurus here? I was having fun with the game :(

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Not sure if this was covered already, but have you tried forcing the exe to "Run as Administrator"? I had an unrelated problem with my updater crashing out and that fixed it.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I did those previously without it working (found that solution on old LOTRO threads too).

HOWEVER! I just tried some shit for sheer luck: deleted and re-added exceptions for the launchers in windows firewall, turned off my modem firewall, turned off PC, reset modem. Turned back on the modem and PC and holy shit it's working. Fucking finally.

However, if turning my modem firewall on "breaks" it again, I'm not sure how to proceed because I'm guessing that isn't something I want to leave off...

*edit nevermind, spoke too soon. Game downloaded fully and went right back to being stuck on "installing pre-reqs" =/

Last edited:

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have you tried clicking NO PROXY in the launcher settings? Then restarting?

Yeah that was the most suggested fix I found while initially searching for fixes.

I think the launcher and my router/modem just don't get along for whatever reason. It downloaded 25gigs of the game, then got stuck. I rebooted router and PC again, and ran the launcher as Admin a few times and it finally worked. Now it's downloading a shitload of files so I guess still installing (or maybe patching over the original game).

We'll see what happens.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Have you tried just deleting this shit game?

Seriously though, I remember even way back in the day during LOTRO's prime the patcher/launcher was shit. I feel like for a while it was actually secretly running in the background and monitoring stuff even when you told it to close or something.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The game has been changed a bit and I was having fun with it while I was away house-sitting. The launcher is definitely shit.

I think I've narrowed it down to being my modem/router firewall that is blocking the patcher connection. I just have no idea how to add exceptions to the hardware firewall...

I've managed to fully download the game but the one time I got to the account login portion, it showed all severs as down (though a server status site showed everything up). Every time I've tried to load the launcher since then I get the same Installing pre-reqs problem.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
It is pretty fun which is why I kept trying but yeah its crazy how terrible its always been