Lord of the Rings Online

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
You actually feel like you're in a world in this game which is the best part for me. I wouldn't say you feel like you're part of that world, since it's as theme park as they come, but it's still a big selling point.

That said, I just came back to wow for mop and while I never find myself wandering around to smell the roses, the differences in combat responsiveness and fluidity are comical. I'm not sure I could even go back to lotro now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Theme park.. that's good. I mainly wanted to download this for my fiance. She plays WoW and loves it, but plays it as a single player game. She loves Tolkien stuff, and I think she would fall in love just walking around. She couldn't care less about combat responsiveness.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I bought a bunch of stuff about a year ago, and logged in yesterday for the first time in a while to find all of it missing, and only two characters - I have to buy (again) and unlock the characters that are level 70-ish, or subscribe.

Pass.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I bought a bunch of stuff about a year ago, and logged in yesterday for the first time in a while to find all of it missing, and only two characters - I have to buy (again) and unlock the characters that are level 70-ish, or subscribe.

Pass.
Odds are you logged into the wrong account.

The same email can have tons of different loggings for LoTro.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Pass.
Yeah, that seems like something fishy there. I just logged in after a year and a half or so and all of my unlocks were all still there. I also discovered that I had enough Turbine points lying around to get the Isengard expansion...tempted to resubscribe a month or two and play through it, see if it drags me in enough to get the Rohan one.

plaeroma_sl

shitlord
The Hobbit has me a bit pumped up for middle earth, think I'll give this another whirl at least for a week or two. Is everybody on one server or is it all spread out?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I still log on occasionally to check things out, but it works out to probably less than an hour a week. I love the atmosphere of the game and think Turbine did an amazing job realizing Middle Earth, but the gameplay is just so bland.
This is pretty much how I feel, too. The game has a wonderful environment, but the gameplay is repetitive and boring.

I last played about 3 months ago, but I'll hop back on and check things out.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I'm back on after unfracking my password login issue. Game is still a lot of fun. Level 14 burglar on Brandywine; Steeks. Just casual-ing the shit out of Middle Earth for a while.

wanand

After watching the hobbit and lotro all over again recently I decided to give this game another go, to my surpise my life long sub was moved over from Codemaster to Turbine when they done the switch a few years back. So when I logged in I had 20k turbine points to spend and the first 2 expansions on my account.

I am only playing super casual but the game is a lot of fun and the free to play really works well it is not in your face like most free to play games. I brought the expansions I was missing with the points I had on the account and the riding skill as I could not be bothered to wait to 20 to get it. Everything else in the store is very cosmectic and make life easier items.

I would strongly recomend the game to anyone bored and looking for a game to waste some time in. The combat is still a bit cluncky but much improved since 2009 and the new content is pretty decent. having a group of friends to play with as normal would also make it much easier and you can do skirmishing that only require 3 people for very decent xp and rewards starting from level 20

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Anyone have any SS of there toon?
I had posted about a dozen high res screenshots on FoH. I'll see if I still have them on my pc later today.

I still think LOTRO is one of the best looking MMO's out there right now, especially considering how old it is. Not only are the graphics crisp and the animations generally good, but the art style is amazing. There are some truly breathtaking areas where you just stop and look around when you first visit them.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
I had posted about a dozen high res screenshots on FoH. I'll see if I still have them on my pc later today.

I still think LOTRO is one of the best looking MMO's out there right now, especially considering how old it is. Not only are the graphics crisp and the animations generally good, but the art style is amazing. There are some truly breathtaking areas where you just stop and look around when you first visit them.
I have said this Many times,when you consider how old this MMO is the game engine its still breathtaking if you can run it in DX11 on Ultra,Ultra,Ultra and it runs smooth as silk.

So if dont have good pc,cpu or gpu, gpu's multi SLi etc can run it DX9 and still looks good, or the DX10 or DX11 if have the hardware.

Faltigoth

I am loving my return to this. My Captain is nearing 85 now and in the last part of Rohan, and I have a few other mid-20s chars that I am playing casually here and there.

They really did a good job with Rohan in my opinion, I am having a grand old time.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
This thread has convinced me to give lotro a second goround. I hit 50 on a minstrel and quit before the first xpac. One of the neatest places I happened upon was Tom Bombadil. It really felt like a mystical safe haven in a dark dangerous forest. I think this early experience lured me in for the haul to 50.

Do I have to sub to get any decent experience out of this game?

McCheese

Anyone have any SS of there toon?
I found the pictures I had posted on FoH. Here's a couple of them. These are about a year old now and they were taken with the highest graphics settings/AA:

rrr_img_8949.jpg

rrr_img_8950.jpg

rrr_img_8951.jpg

rrr_img_8952.jpg

McCheese

is that in DX11 on Ultra,Ultra with all maxed or is that DX9 or DX10?
DX10 with everything maxed. I'm not sure DX11 was an option when I took these pictures, although I may be misremembering. I know it was the highest settings allowable using the in-game graphics settings because the game barely ran on my pc when I was taking those pictures.

Faltigoth

This thread has convinced me to give lotro a second goround. I hit 50 on a minstrel and quit before the first xpac. One of the neatest places I happened upon was Tom Bombadil. It really felt like a mystical safe haven in a dark dangerous forest. I think this early experience lured me in for the haul to 50.

Do I have to sub to get any decent experience out of this game?
Well, without subbing I do believe you can take the epic story all the way to the end, which is pretty much the best part anyway. You can also level with tasks, deeds and skirmishes - grind out enough deeds, and you will end up with enough turbine points to buy quest packs/expansions. Will take awhile though. For straight leveling past 50, you will probably want the expansions.

I haven't personally tried to do it; I just resubbed. I felt they deserved the money, heh. I know it is possible, but enjoyable? That I am not so sure.

wanand

Only cost 95 turbine points for the riding skill, you can make that pretty easy on in game quest,deeds, task etc

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user